• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, December 26-January 1 (Updated)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
How much did Free! do when it debut as a franchise?
Can´t say that i like Free on Skates but outselling One Piece, hot damn. Unless i count in the DVD sales, but still.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
First week sales of vol 1 of Free was around 25k combined BD/DVD,
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
Yuri on Ice was predictable, but I'm incredibly happy to see Drifters with almost 10k Very Happy

Right? Me too! I was actually somewhat worried, what with YoI dominating almost all anime discussion most everywhere worth reading, so I'm happy to see Drifters coming through like that. Even if it's a limited special edition with all the bells and whistles, it's a nice result. Now if only Hirano would get off his butt and draw the rest...

This season of UtaPri probably won't do all that well, it's been having some pretty tough competition (YoI, for starters, seriously it was like nobody watched and talked about anything else in this season, but also Idolish7, etc). I still like the show so I hope they'll reinvent themselves a bit in the next season.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
BRB, arbitrarily deciding women drove the majority of sales for Bakemonogatari and Madoka! Who~ can~ knowwww~~~

See, the difference is nobody is going to deny lots of women love Bake, Madoka, Love Live, or any of that stuff. So if you want to say a large chunk of those shows were bought by women, your average respone will be "probably". For whatever reason, you thought most people cared gender tribalism as much as you do that this line was a 'gotcha' of some kind, when most people don't. A magical girl show being popular with women? Scandolous! A sports show being popular with guys? Most unorthodox!

relyat08 wrote:
Wait, but was anyone even arguing that women targeted shows can't be BD heavy? That's the kind of statement that should never be taken seriously. I've always noticed there being a higher ratio for DVDs with women targeted shows, but have never seen anyone say those shows can't be BD heavy. It's just a statistical trend. Statistically those shows tend to have a higher percentage of DVDs compared to something like The Monogatari series. And that statistical trend still absolutely holds true for YOI. Selling 11k DVDs vs 24k BDs is still pretty high.

I'm not sure why people act like this is a new trend or not. DVD sales usually spike with these kinds of shows. Compared to Monogatari which sell only a few thousand DVDs. It's not a hard to notice a trend. Usually happens with shows with a wider audience than norm.

residentgrigo wrote:
How much did Free! do when it debut as a franchise?
Can´t say that i like Free on Skates but outselling One Piece, hot damn. Unless i count in the DVD sales, but still.

Free sold 25,726 BD/DVD first week.

Even if you don't count DVD sales One Piece still outsold Yuri on Ice if you combine the standard edition and limited edition sales together. This chart split them up rather than counting them as one.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
KH91 wrote:
Yuri on par with OP. OP is dead

I'm not sure I'd argue that 35k combined BD/DVD is on par with 50k combined BD/DVD.(KH91: Look at you combining DVD sales with BD sales in a BD only sales chart. *facepalm*)

Lord Oink wrote:
Mainstream anime usually sells terrible. They don't rely on disk sales(KH91: Oh, I soooo did not know that. Thank you, Sherlock Oink.). OP still sold more anyway.

For the both of you:

manapear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:42 am Reply with quote
This thread gave me life. I came to applaud YOI and was mildly curious if certain comments would occur. They did. I had my daily chuckle.

Agreeing with musouka on everything, and also sharing in VICTURIftw's sentiment on Idolish7 stealing the UtaPri crown. I like UtaPri, but I think Broccoli has gotten cocky for one thing. Competition will do UtaPri very good.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:48 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'm not sure I'd argue that 35k combined BD/DVD is on par with 50k combined BD/DVD.

As it turns out, it apparently is on par.

"Oricon has updated its sales numbers for both the first Blu-ray Disc volume and the first DVD volume. Oricon now states that the first Blu-ray Disc volume sold 35,453 copies in first three days, while the first DVD volume sold 15,425 copies. The list had previously stated that the Blu-ray Disc volume had sold 24,513, while the DVD volume had sold 11,076."
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:01 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
First week sales of vol 1 of Free was around 25k combined BD/DVD,

Makes sense that they would be pretty comparable. They're both high production value fujoshi series. We're definitely going to be getting more of this until they saturate the market with it at least.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:25 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
So I guess selling KumaMiko at bargain prices really did help huh

Kinda puts to bed the myth that anime sales in Japan are inelastic and it doesn't matter if you drop prices on titles, doesn't it? Although I'm sure the anime producers in Japan would love to keep that one alive for as long as possible.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
killjoy_the wrote:
So I guess selling KumaMiko at bargain prices really did help huh

Kinda puts to bed the myth that anime sales in Japan are inelastic and it doesn't matter if you drop prices on titles, doesn't it? Although I'm sure the anime producers in Japan would love to keep that one alive for as long as possible.

Well we don't really know what it would have sold without the price drop. And 3k at less than half the price of a normal set is not exactly a success. More like they managed to cut their losses slightly, at best.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Not really. Demand will still go up as price goes down. If you offer a massive price reduction, you can get a decent increase in sales while having inelastic demand. I'd also throw out that they might have already had these discs so just because they decided it was a good idea in this case to drop the price doesn't mean going that way as a standard would net a larger profit.

Either way, "myth" is completely inappropriate. It was tested before. Even if what you are suggesting was true, a change in trends does not make that a myth.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:21 am Reply with quote
I consider it a myth. I know it's a conventional article of faith for some anime fans who get their information off the internet, but I've never bought it because it flies in the face of human psychology. It is possible that for the super popular titles (like Yuri on Ice) demand really is inelastic and whomever is going to buy it is going to buy it regardless of price point. But for less popular shows it's easy to imagine an otaku saying, "Eh, that was an alright show, but I can't justify buying it at the regular price," Drop the price and suddenly the disincentive to buy disappears.

I don't believe the theory of inelastic demand has ever truly been systematically tested in a proper way. There may have been a few examples where dropping a price didn't move the needle and suddenly that got converted into an iron law spread via the internet.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:58 am Reply with quote
Besides the BL/yaoi content, the ice skating theme, and it featuring real life athletes, what made YOI! so popular? I dropped it several episodes in.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:09 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Besides the BL/yaoi content, the ice skating theme, and it featuring real life athletes, what made YOI! so popular? I dropped it several episodes in.

So aside from the main appeals of the show, basically? Nothing. If none of those do it for you you aint gonna like it.
manapear

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:04 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

I would guess overall quality. It had great production values that were consistent. Even with some of the weaker moments (writing or animation), it was still good. Unlike other shows that would have a noticeable drop.

For me, it was the director that was the draw.

But, not everything is for everyone. :') Even a HQ show isn't going to pull in everyone, no matter what it's about~.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3