• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime Celebrating Their 20th Anniversary

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Lynzee wrote:
Ruri was up there with Rei Ayanami for recognizable, blank-stare girls with silver hair.

Amongst certain circles, Ruri still is!

And both were so saturated in fan-love on the Net fan community, it wasn't until I saw ADV's Nadesico that I knew which of the two "anime Wednesday-Addams girls" said "Baka."

Nowadays, with all the otaku-bashing, you just couldn't DO a show where warring space clans can unite themselves in their love for "Gekiganger III".
(Today, the character would be hooked on a magical-girl series, and be the social-cliche' NEET-strawman rather than the main hero.)

Quote:
My favourite Nadesico character shall always be Izumi though. Her wont for communicating exclusively via puns is as beguiling as it is relatable.

And you have to appreciate the enthusiasm of someone who can pound on tables in helpless giggles at her own puns.

Ah, Kodocha, though... Anime smile
I remember when we thought the US anime industry would never come of age, so long as it was impossible to find an English voice for Sana. Lord help us, they did it, and managed nicely.

(Nowadays, bring up Kodocha, and all you get are threads and threads of third-season jumped-shark NYC-arc hate.
Maybe so, but it wouldn't be so bad to at least have the rest of the series in this country to hate...If only Funi hadn't decided the show had "outlived its usefulness" after they couldn't get a cable broadcast for the dub, back when TV deals fueled the Bubble.)

Saber Marionette J, OTOH was the Show You Watched If You Couldn't Find Any Other Anime Comedy At the Rental.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised the Rurouni Kenshin anime is 20 years old already. I remember when I first saw it in 1999, I thought it showed a tremendous leap in visuals compared to other series of its time.

On the other hand, Case Closed is still continuing. While Boys Over Flowers have been adapted several times throughout the decades.

Sometimes, I wish Sunrise would make a sequel/reboot of Escaflowne. And then I'll remember they once did something similar with Aura Battler Dunbine by making Wings of Rean, and it ended up weird.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Princess Mononoke, likely the own of the top 2-3 most important 90's animations was not mentioned? Anyway, from the shows listed I watched Escaflowne, Saber J and Nadesico, I liked all 3 but I found Nadesico a bit boring at some parts. Escaflowne was pretty great stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary Girl Utena also turns 20 this April.

Saber Marionette was so similar to other 90s harem anime like Tenchi Muyo and Oh My Goddess, but definitely with the most distinctive art style. I first discovered anime and manga in the late 90s, so that stereotypical "90s" art style is how I fondly remember it. Slayers is another example.

I adore Case Closed, but I don't think I personally have much interest in seeing beyond what we ended up getting. The show's formula ran it's course for me. I would like to see how it ends though.

Of course there's also Princess Mononoke, Sailor Moon Sailor Stars, and the ending to Dragon Ball GT.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
That reminds me that I still haven't bought the Escaflowne Blu-Ray set Funimation put out yet. I suppose it's not a high priority, as I have it on DVD when Bandai put it out, but the Blu-rays do look gorgeous. It's one of my favorite anime TV shows and certainly deserves celebration for its anniversary.

Ah, and Dete---err, I mean Case Closed, there's another title I have affection for, though not nearly as much as Escaflowne. What other show has small children exposed to grisly murder scenes on a regular basis? Have they revealed who the Black Organization's Boss is yet? Is it Dr. Agasa? Maybe it's Ran's mother using a voice changing device. One truth will prevail! Just not anytime soon.

But also, it's Gundam 08th MS Team's 20th anniversary, too! Oh boy does that make me feel old. I always thought of it as "the newer Gundam OVA". Sigh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I voted for Sailor Moon Sailor Stars in the new poll. I hope Viz finishes releasing all of classic Sailor Moon by the end of 2019.

Why would it be that long? They released S recently, only SuperS and Stars are left. Would it take 3 complete years to release them?

It could. The first set came out in 2014. The release schedule ran thusly: 3 months between Set 1 and 2; 5 months between Set 2 and 3 (New box); 3 months between Set 3 and 4; Over 1 YEAR between Set 4 and 5 (New box).

Viz tripped pretty hard with Season 2 Part 2, even having to re-release it, and they had to pull their hand back. Another disaster or 2 like that, not to mention that getting all the way through the show still counts on sales, and it could take years to finish, with the threat looming all the while that we might be stuck with another incomplete release.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:05 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Ah, Escaflowne and Case Closed, two of my top favorites. It's a shame Case Closed didn't continue being dubbed, but I'm grateful the manga is still being officially translated by Viz at least.

Quote:
Hitomi's otherwordly adventure to defeat the Zaibach empire with Prince Van and his mysterious mecha only appear dated because of Nobuteru Yuki's character designs. The guy doesn't draw noses like that anymore and hasn't since Heat Guy J.

He doesn't draw beast people anymore either. Lynx from Chrono Cross was the last time he ever came up with such an awesome, intimidating design for a beastman, and that was in 1999. Guess he's long since moved on from fantasy beings.

Yeah, I loved the dub for Case Closed, the cast was so well picked so I'm glad we did at least get as much as we did though.

Chrono Cross was great.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:37 pm Reply with quote
For some reason I thought Kenshin was from 98. I'm betting on a complete reboot of the franchise in a couple of years or so. I still don't understand why they redid the Kyoto Arc (and rushed through it like the city was on fire) instead of the Jinchuu Arc at long last.

Iirc, Boys Over Flowers went a bit farther than "potential" domestic abuse. Or does it not count as "domestic" if they're not married yet?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:07 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Nowadays, with all the otaku-bashing, you just couldn't DO a show where warring space clans can unite themselves in their love for "Gekiganger III".
(Today, the character would be hooked on a magical-girl series, and be the social-cliche' NEET-strawman rather than the main hero.)

One wonders whether Re:Zero's depiction of an otaku as someone who is aware of his flaws but still rewarded with the uttermost importance is much healthier than Nadesico's full-blooded celebration of mecha culture. I'm sure an editorial of how otaku prefer to see themselves being portrayed could be penned along such lines.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:37 am Reply with quote
I love Nadesico. I saw it when I was probably too young to really get it. It holds a special place in my heart, but I don't think I could rewatch it for a variety of reasons.
I never got around to watching the movie, though, from what I've heard about it, that might be a good thing.

GEKIGANGERRRRRRRRRRRR THREE!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote
penguintruth, this post is a shout to your avatar: the original "Evangelion" movies both turn 20 this year. with "Death & Rebirth" on 3/15 and "End of Evangelion" on 7/19.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
He doesn't draw beast people anymore either. Lynx from Chrono Cross was the last time he ever came up with such an awesome, intimidating design for a beastman, and that was in 1999.

Lynx is a great character with a great design from one the best PS1 games ever made. The water-color backgrounds are stunningly beautiful and diverse, too. Even if you've never played Chrono Trigger, you should give Cross a try if you have the right hardware. I played them in reverse order, and it didn't really affect my enjoyment of Cross.
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Escaflowne, man.
The soundtrack to that show was amazing!

Also loved the first Omocha OP.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
penguintruth, this post is a shout to your avatar: the original "Evangelion" movies both turn 20 this year. with "Death & Rebirth" on 3/15 and "End of Evangelion" on 7/19.

It's too bad we can't get a good release of EoE over here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I actually liked Saber Marionette J when I watched it. However, that was years ago and one of my first anime ever. I should watch it again to see if I still like it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3