• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kemono Friends Game App Will Not Return Despite Anime's Popularity

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeonZ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Apparently, Nexon, the game's developer, wasn't part of the overall Kemono Friends Production committee - Kemono Friends was announced as a multimedia franchise from the beginning, a long time before the actual anime announcement.

That makes me wonder if it played a role in Nexon not wanting the game back - they apparently don't own the IP after all. If that's really correct though, the production really should go after another developer. The original game was very low budget anyway even compared to other similar mobile titles - very simple background art, only about 6 voiced lines for each character (introduction, missing start, mission complete, special attack, level up, rank up) and no voiced story dialogue.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Wow, after all of this discussion, I'll bet they're really regretting shutting down the game now. I wonder if this will affect how they handle future projects.

It's quite a fascinating phenomenon to see a show that initially looks janky as heck yet it tickled a large number of fanartists into a frenzy. The producers seriously had little hope for this anime in the beginning, and I can't really blame them.
Pizza35

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Nexon a shit. The game didn't seem to be good in the first place and they're too retarded to even cash in the popularity of the franchise. They don't own the IP so the "Kemono Friends project" comittee should just find a new developper.

And to those wondering, it's not just a social media fad, the anime really is extremely popular. BD for the first volume are sold out everywhere, the OP is 4th best selling single on itunes and 300yen gacha figures are being sold several thousand yens second-hand.
The popularity might die off rapidly after the anime ends, but right now everybody wants to buy his Kemono Friends discs and goods.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
NeonZ wrote:
Apparently, Nexon, the game's developer, wasn't part of the overall Kemono Friends Production committee - Kemono Friends was announced as a multimedia franchise from the beginning, a long time before the actual anime announcement.

That makes me wonder if it played a role in Nexon not wanting the game back - they apparently don't own the IP after all. If that's really correct though, the production really should go after another developer. The original game was very low budget anyway even compared to other similar mobile titles - very simple background art, only about 6 voiced lines for each character (introduction, missing start, mission complete, special attack, level up, rank up) and no voiced story dialogue.

Yeah, if Nexon didn't own the IP, they might have actually been PAYING the committee for the right to make the game, and wouldn't profit directly off the anime at all.
In that case it would make sense to shut the game down if they had a bad licensing agreement for it. Maybe the production committee paid them to create and run the game for a certain period but they weren't really happy with their work and so didn't renew it.

In any case, with the new popularity I suspect we'll see new games and other media from different companies then.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Pizza35 wrote:
And to those wondering, it's not just a social media fad, the anime really is extremely popular. BD for the first volume are sold out everywhere, the OP is 4th best selling single on itunes and 300yen gacha figures are being sold several thousand yens second-hand

Goes to show that despite what Bushiroad's Kidani might claim otherwise, there's no dictating when the next GnP or Re:Zero appears and gets a lucky roll...
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:57 pm Reply with quote
After reading this, it would've been a much smarter move to wait until the anime at least aired, before shutting down the service. I had no idea how crazy popular the discs and merch were! They made a poor choice, for sure.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm pleased Kemono Friends the anime is doing well. It's cute as hell. Plus, for younger viewers, you actually do learn real stuff about animals.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm pleased Kemono Friends the anime is doing well. It's cute as hell. Plus, for younger viewers, you actually do learn real stuff about animals.

I like how they also use more uncommon animals, so people of any age can learn more about them. Using a serval is a main character, rather than a cheetah or something else that everyone knows about.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Like everyone, I am shocked that Japan is digging this with much love and its immense popularity is almost sudden. Must be something to do with the "[insert anything] girls" trend like Strike Witches and Girls Und Panzer. The developers are regretting the decision of shutting down the game. They were not optimistic of the anime to begin with and it is too late to revert it. They can try to move on with the anime and continue the series with it.

At very first, I had a bad feeling about this anime for having uncanny and cringy CGs. I was sure this anime will not go so well. However, the opposite happened. It is getting good, lately.
Zhiroc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
As promotions go, for me the anime-to-game is the weakest. I have just about zero interest in playing a game because of an anime. The anime I like has either or both of good characters and/or story, and a game, particularly a mobile one at that (of which I play none) doesn't tend to be strong in this way. It would have to have a level of story-telling equivalent to Mass Effect to have any draw for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2