• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Viz Media Senior Director: 'Another Season of Tokyo Ghoul Coming Shortly'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Is this gonna be a new meme? A yearly mess up by someone on the US side of the industry announcing a new Tokyo Ghoul anime that is not in fact coming?
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
Yeah, trust whatever the Viz guy says, even if he isn't competent enough to remember the name of the series he's talking about. It doesn't make much sense to believe people from the west side of the industry since they clearly don't know much. The guys at Viz also said that the Black Clover anime is coming out in 2017 without having a confirmation. This is why I only believe in reports which have Japanese sources and confirmations. They also obviously posted this to get that traffic, even if the source of the confirmation was pretty sketchy, they could've waited a bit, but instead they immediately posted about this to attract attention to this article.

Edit: It's OK to make mistakes, but this is the second time they announced a season 3 for Tokyo Ghoul when it wasn't the case, if I wanted to get my hot anime rumors, I'd go to some forums or something, reminder that this is a news website. But you know, Tokyo Ghoul is super popular, why not capitalize on that, am I right?

As much as ANN does of course want traffic, they wouldn't post something fake to get it. That would be counter-intuitive for them as a credible news source. What they did was take the word of someone in the industry IN AN OFFICIAL INTERVIEW, which is something that ANY professional news source would do. And I don't know if you noticed, but the title and the entire article has been updated to clarify the situation. This isn't saying a 3rd season is coming at all, it's clarifying that one is NOT coming.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I don't take issue with their decision to run the story. The prior incorrect announcement was noted in the original article, which is sufficient indication to treat the news with skepticism, without outright saying it was likely incorrect. As a Western anime news site, they cannot afford to just ignore the statements of Western anime companies, even on such matters.

As to the timing, perhaps they could have waited until Viz cleared up that it was a mistake. However, considering they contacted Viz for comment and they did not respond in a timely manner, I'm inclined to think Viz wanted to gloss over the misstatement by one of their higher ups made, but once the news broke they had to clarify it, as if they were inclined to clarify it as soon as possible, they would have. Releasing the story when they did put Viz in a position where they had to clarify the statement was a mistake, quashing the rumor sooner than had they taken a wait and see attitude on the story.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
reminder that this is a news website.

See, I thought for sure you were being serious, but then I got to this part, and there's no way I can bring myself to believe that you typed that with a straight face. News websites are expected to keep their readers in the loop when representatives from major English-language anime and manga distributors make statements about big-name franchises.

When it turns out that those representatives misspoke or were misquoted (which, I might add, has not been corrected by ICv2 yet), readers want to hear about that, too.

The vast majority of them couldn't care less whether those representatives are Japanese or American.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:
reminder that this is a news website.

See, I thought for sure you were being serious, but then I got to this part, and there's no way I can bring myself to believe that you typed that with a straight face. News websites are expected to keep their readers in the loop when representatives from major English-language anime and manga distributors make statements about big-name franchises.

When it turns out that those representatives misspoke or were misquoted (which, I might add, has not been corrected by ICv2 yet), readers want to hear about that, too.

The vast majority of them couldn't care less whether those representatives are Japanese or American.

You'd better believe I wrote that with a straight face and I don't really care if you take me seriously or not.

relyat08 wrote:

As much as ANN does of course want traffic, they wouldn't post something fake to get it. That would be counter-intuitive for them as a credible news source. What they did was take the word of someone in the industry IN AN OFFICIAL INTERVIEW, which is something that ANY professional news source would do. And I don't know if you noticed, but the title and the entire article has been updated to clarify the situation. This isn't saying a 3rd season is coming at all, it's clarifying that one is NOT coming.

Yeah, of course I noticed they updated things, it makes sense. They could've taken their time with reporting this though, like they do with a bunch of confirmed anime, sometimes it takes them days or even weeks to finally report news of an adaptation or a new anime that's coming out, so they can take their time.

Last edited by Thorfinn on Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
What's with this ANN bashing O.o' If you want news fu***** go search for them yourself instead of bitc**** about it here.

The article was corrected, got a problem with that? You know where the little cross is located, just click there.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
^No need to let yourself be so provoked. This is just how some people respond to such things. A calm retort is far more effective than getting frustrated with them.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
What's with this ANN bashing O.o' If you want news fu***** go search for them yourself instead of bitc**** about it here.

The article was corrected, got a problem with that? You know where the little cross is located, just click there.

Oh, God forbid any criticism towards the most reliable anime news website.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:31 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I don't take issue with their decision to run the story. The prior incorrect announcement was noted in the original article, which is sufficient indication to treat the news with skepticism, without outright saying it was likely incorrect. As a Western anime news site, they cannot afford to just ignore the statements of Western anime companies, even on such matters.

As to the timing, perhaps they could have waited until Viz cleared up that it was a mistake. However, considering they contacted Viz for comment and they did not respond in a timely manner, I'm inclined to think Viz wanted to gloss over the misstatement by one of their higher ups made, but once the news broke they had to clarify it, as if they were inclined to clarify it as soon as possible, they would have. Releasing the story when they did put Viz in a position where they had to clarify the statement was a mistake, quashing the rumor sooner than had they taken a wait and see attitude on the story.

All good points. I'm inclined to thank ANN for running the article even more now. Maybe we wouldn't have gotten clarification at all if not for this. Smile
Drunk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Oh well, it's not ANN's fault when CEO's keep messing up.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:

Oh, God forbid any criticism towards the most reliable anime news website.

Imagine the cure for HIV is found. Now imagine that 1 week later, it's shown that it's a case of miscommunication and they found the cure for some other disease. Is the news outlet's fault for reporting this or it's the fault of the dude that gave this piece of news to the outlet's in the first place? Think about it.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
[They could've taken their time with reporting this though, like they do with a bunch of confirmed anime, sometimes it takes them days or even weeks to finally report news of an adaptation or a new anime that's coming out, so they can take their time.

Criticisms of running this piece or not aside, that's patently false. During my entire tenure here and while working for the news team before Interest I never once witnessed holding back on confirmed anime adaptations for "days or even weeks."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote
No discussion about the interview itself? It was very interesting! Some key points Mr. Hamric made:
Barnes & Nobles buy-2-get-1-free manga sale that ran from December 2016 to January 2017 was the best that they'd ever had and the best that Viz has had with the retailer;
Manga sales have been "soft" in the United States in January and February this year. Mr. Hamric attributes this to the political climate and says that sales in other countries (including India, and I didn't know Viz published/sold manga in India!) have been strong;
Viz is releasing Hirohiko Araki's book "Manga in Theory and Practice" this September;
Viz considers their new Yuri titles to be aimed at the shojo demographic (I assume they'll be marketing them to women and teen girls as shojo titles, which is interesting).
Nothing groundbreaking, but behind the scenes manga business info is fascinating.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Man, I knew I was having deja vu when I saw the quote. I felt like I'd gone back to when Funi made that comment in 2015.

Looking at the interview I have no idea how it got so misconstrued if it was so clearly a statement about MHA from the get go. (I didn't see the interview when it was first published so I'm not sure if it had wrong info)

This is why you don't believe everything you read.
diamoundheadx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Ambrose7 wrote:
If it does happen, please let some other studio handle it.

that is not going to happen it will stay with Pierrot
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4