• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more
You are welcome to look at the talkback but please consider that this article is over 3 years old before posting.

Forum - View topic
Understanding Sword Art Online

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Lol. The title of this piece lends itself perfectly for mockery. Understanding SAO is simple: it is a mediocre story written by a not very smart fanboy. And this is not a backlash due to Sword Art Online's popularity. It is a decent show (the anime), and it is good that its popularity has made a lot of money for the anime industry.

But every time someone tries to argue that SAO is well written, I will keep rolling my eyes.

P.S. I will argue that Monogatari has been the most important light novel franchise for the last 9-10 years.

Agreed. And agreed. I don't like SAO, and it is horribly written, but I don't really think why it's popular is that hard to figure out. It's fanservice written by someone who is a genuine fanboy. It is the wet dream of so many teenagers and it hit at such a perfect time that it all just fell into place. Really nothing more to it than that. *shrug*
No personal hate for the series, it just is what it is.

And yeah, Monogatari is significantly more important in my eyes. It proved without a doubt that the LN format can be serious literature. I would argue that there are a few more important LNs over the last decade than SAO, but Monogatari is at the top of that list.

Why are you comparing SAO to Monogatari? O.o They're completely different Quality/Content Wise. They were also written with different audiences in mind.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
P.S. I will argue that Monogatari has been the most important light novel franchise for the last 9-10 years.

And yeah, Monogatari is significantly more important in my eyes. It proved without a doubt that the LN format can be serious literature. I would argue that there are a few more important LNs over the last decade than SAO, but Monogatari is at the top of that list.

Thank you; I was starting to feel overwhelmed by some of SAO's passionate fans. I am not denying that Sword Art Online is a big deal to the anime/manga/LN fandom and industry. I did not mean to belittle how influential and profitable SAO light novels are, but looking at the anime side, while SAO anime has sold lots of discs, Monogatari is a giant anime seller that can only be matched and surpassed by Evangelion and Gundam.
Bastille

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:16 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
If you think Sword Art Online is good, then you're wrong. You're very, VERY wrong.

If people are trying to argue that SAO is good, as in well written, then sure. Feel free to debate the matter with them. Anyone who thinks SAO is one of the best stories ever written should have to try and back that statement up.

If people are trying to argue that SAO is good, as in they enjoyed reading/watching it, then let them have their fun. People are free to find things enjoyable and them liking SAO has no effect on you so why let it bother you? If you saw a bunch of kids playing with a roll of bubble wrap, would you tell them "That's cute, but you know what's really fun? LITERARY ANALYSIS! I'll start by breaking down my favourite Dostoyevsky book...".

There are plenty of flaws with SAO. This makes sense as Kawahara wasn't trying to write a literary masterpiece. He was simply trying to write about something he liked.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, SAO. our 200 page debates about this show were legendary. (Nowadays, such a lengthy debate wouldn't be allowed, which is too bad.) I give props to Kawahara for recognizing the flaws in SAO. And personally, I absolutely loved Accel World, so I do think he has great talent. Notwithstanding the very real flaws in SAO, there were a lot of bright spots. I actually liked Suguha, as she seemed like the most grounded character in the series and was probably the only character to put Kirito in his place. Also, I was pleasantly surprised with the Agil character. Anime rarely depicts dark skinned characters as "normal" or relatable. Usually they are depicted in an extreme or clownish manner. Yet, Agil was great and always came across as a serious and we'll conceived presence.

I thought the Phantom bullet arc was the best one, mainly because it challenged Kirito's aura of invincibility and made him actually overcome demons. Yes, it still had the same damsel in distress trappings and Kirito still had to save a cute girl from being raped, as was the case with multiple climaxes of SAO arcs. But it was still a better story than the earlier ones.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:42 pm Reply with quote
personally i have no problem with sao, and i definitely liked fairy dance. though this whole thing about kirito ruining asuna's character is pretty much off the mark. for one both of them are quite frankly the most obvious gary stu mary sue characters ever. though at times asuna have a really bad habbit of becoming a massive tsundere character. especially if a new girl develops a thing for her man. while i have no problem with a couple, personally if i had my way i would have had kirito with sachi from the aincrad arc or sinon/ asada.

though for my six cents, i would say to hell with it , pull a koi kaze & had kirito with lefa/suguha instead, and as the cherry on top have them as actual twins instead of the whole cousin nonsense which i have a feeling the author did that on purpose to prevent those haters from comparing fairy dance to oreimo which i have a feeling other than how that arc treated asuna is one of the primary reasons why people despises that arc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Paul D. Atreides

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I still don't get why SAO makes people so upset.

Meanwhile I'm just here chilling, enjoying myself. Because I'm done justifying why I'm entertained by fiction someone else isn't entertained by. I don't care about flaws or whatever, I'm just having fun. As they say: there's no accounting for taste.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I call SAO the "Justin Bieber of Anime" because it's detractors and haters are actually more vocals than the fans and keeping the thing alive.
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:30 pm Reply with quote
As a Kannazukiate, I have lots of empathy for the SAO fandom.
Because, I know what it feels like to be a fan of a show you that you love only to have lots of detractors and haters also in your mist and have a very good chance of them being everywhere. It can be very underwhelming.

I do not love or hate SAO, I think its a fairly decent series. Suguha and a little bit of Asuna was the only thing I did not like about the show. Everything else was pretty good.
I view it as any other anime series: A show I can watch, enjoy, and be done with and move on. I haven't seen SAO II yet, but I do plan to. I've been a little busy for quite some time now, so I haven't gotten time to see it. I also plan on checking out the movie, too.

So, to the SAO fandom out there.: Heishi, the lone KnM and Casshern Sins aficionado, sends his regards.

Last edited by Heishi on Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Hatred of this series, has been kind of an evergreen topic for people on YouTube from hour long dissections of the game mechanics and how they don't work supposedly. To how the character writing is weak on and on ad infinitum. The series is not my cup of tea and admittedly I never read any of the novels and only watched the Anime up to Fairy Dance and finished that arc than dropped it.

After a point the amount and volume of over the top hatred and praise for the series online is kind of comical. parts of it are good and parts of it are bad but I feel the bad far outweighs the good or interesting in it. In short if you like it fine but don't make me have to like it.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Asuna's abrupt transformation from a strong female heroine to a damsel in distress in the Fairy Dance arc (volumes 3-4) proved controversial among viewers of the anime, who saw it as a regressive move for her character. Even Kawahara regretted the way he handled Asuna's character, which was why he wrote the standalone Mother's Rosario story (volume 7), where Asuna finally becomes the heroine of her own story.

Not only viewers of the anime but also most the readers of the LN/WN think that. Without doubt the low part of SAO and almost useless. You can go from end of volume 1 (vol2 were short stories) to volume 5 and don't lose almost nothing of the plot, only the introduction of Suguha and some minor characters and the Alfheim Online game and that could be done with short stories.
Also making Asuna a damsel in distress was out of character with the rest of the books.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:06 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I did not mean to belittle how influential and profitable SAO light novels are, but looking at the anime side, while SAO anime has sold lots of discs, Monogatari is a giant anime seller that can only be matched and surpassed by Evangelion and Gundam.

But then that would be the anime franchise, not the light novel franchise, would it not? Razz

Actually this discussion has reminded me: since when has Haruhi kind of stopped being a thing, 2011? I wonder if, at its peak, it was as huge or huger than SAO was.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
As someone who hated SAO, I find the hatedom's obsession with it to be just as bad a Star Wars Prequel haters. Just let fans enjoy it, spending hours making YouTube videos on how much you hate SAO because you know it'll get views (and) money is really annoying, and I find it annoying that DigiBro made it "cool" to hate SAO (and his disrespect of the entire English dub acting pool also made me lose respect for him too).
Funnily enough, Digibro modelled his original Sword Art Online video after Mr. Plinket's Star Wars prequel reviews.

Agreeing with everything you said, even the odd potshot will get you more views. Speaking of dubs, GoatJesus' video on Attack on Titan's dub uses Bryce Papenbrook's lead role in Sword Art Online as a mark against it. I can agree Attack on Titan's dub is questionable and Kirito is disliked but that doesn't equal a bad actor. Papenbrook can still act and has put on some good roles yet people are treat it like it should be reception ruining like Batman and Robin. That should have happened with Eiken, not this! Needed to vent out my frustration...

Last edited by ParaChomp on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Paul D. Atreides wrote:
I still don't get why SAO makes people so upset.

A simple explanation is that Sword Art Online is not as great as its most ardent fans claim, and it is not as bad as its biggest detractors claim.

killjoy_the wrote:
But then that would be the anime franchise, not the light novel franchise, would it not? Razz

When comparing SAO and Monogatari I am including both the source material and anime content. Am I not allowed to do that?
Alternative Ice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I'd say that the reason for the massive hate the series gets isn't because it's the worst thing evar, but because it had the potential to be really good.

Irredeemable trash like Heart x Hybrid and Hundred we can laugh at and forget about practically ten minutes after watching them.

When a show presents some interesting ideas and you want to like it and let yourself get invested into it, just to be let down is what really grinds people's gears.

I used to hate sao, but now I just enjoy making fun of it.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:09 pm Reply with quote
It's really amazing how this series attracted a hatebase that ranged from actual intelligent criticism to just pure shitflinging, more of the latter. And the hatebase ranged from the cliche anime elitist #64587432095732 to the average Narutards. Oh, and their almost demonic drive to openly condemn anyone who thinks the series isn't hot garbage as having shit taste. Can't forget that. What a lovely bunch. I chalked it up to the 4chan meme culture ripping apart anything and everything, and SAO is just too good to pass up not to. Now look where we are. It's not expected behavior to do so and it's coming from those who enjoy worse anime. Seriously, Narutards should look real hard in the mirror first before jumping on the hate train.

That said, SAO, like any other piece of work really, isn't perfect. The first books had rocky flow and the characters can be illogical to put it nicely, but the universe, concepts and action are all top notch. I say, when it's doing well at where it's strengths are, it's damn good.

It'll never be everyone's cup of tea, but why should it? You know the old saying: try to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one. SAO appeals to a huge demographic of fans and it should keep up that momentum. It shouldn't give the satisfaction of its cancerous haters to "die." Rather, improve since there's a lot of room for it. Kawahara should be proud of what he has accomplished.

Last edited by Paiprince on Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6