• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime on Netflix

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Never understood why people get so upset about how Netflix handles anime. LWA was the only show I was interested in last season and I'm having no problem waiting for whenever Netflix throws it on their site to watch it. Have a hard time relating to those who feel otherwise.

Also amused that Glitter Force is the title image here.
Generations

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I see Voltron isn't on here.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Laughing I really love it when people say, "hey this is no big deal to me ... whyfore other people feel different???? C--ca--can. Not. duh Relate." Good god.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Kakyleee wrote:
They don't mind, though. The LWA producer did an AMA on a certain western website some weeks ago fully aware that everyone there is watching a fansub, as there is no legal stream on the West. They are cool with it. I guess they dislike Netflix's decision as much as we do.

Or "Netflix already paid us a big ol' pile of money for our show, so what do we care?"

This! It's the amount of revenue that matters. If they get more money from Netflix, but ultimately lose some viewers to pirate sites, then most companies are okay with that. It's just like how HBO is well aware that Game of Thrones is usually the most pirated show on the net, but hasn't really taken any steps to make it cheaper for people to subscribe to them. Gaming more legal views isn't always a great thing, if it means you are making less money.
Kyjin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting because Netflix Japan has a number of anime simulcasts that they post immediately after airing here. They hire people to write English summaries of each episode, but they don't provide subtitles. Right now they're simulcasting Attack on Titan Season 2, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Crayon Shin-chan, and Doraemon. (I expect more of the new season's anime to be added in the coming days. They had Konosuba S2, Little Witch Academia, and Chaos;Child simulcasts among others last season.) This is in addition to their simulcasts of US shows, like Riverdale and Designated Survivor. I think the biggest hurdle they have for simulcasting in the US is subtitling; they don't have to do that for any of the shows for Netflix Japan, and in fact don't have English subtitles on any of their older catalog. (Which is MASSIVE. I'm rewatching Code Geass on Netflix Japan right now.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Generations wrote:

Because it's not a Netflix Original Series. (At least to my knowledge, anyway.) I considered getting into the catalog titles it offers, but Netflix has this irritating deal where exactly what anime titles show as available can vary from reload to reload, so I decided not to mess with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
emory

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Generations wrote:

Because it's not a Netflix Original Series. (At least to my knowledge, anyway.) I considered getting into the catalog titles it offers, but Netflix has this irritating deal where exactly what anime titles show as available can vary from reload to reload, so I decided not to mess with it.

It is a Netflix original series. I just assumed it wasn't included because it's not anime, but an American-Korean co-production.

Speaking of, Cyborg 009 v. Devilman and Gantz:O do not sport the Netflix banner over them either, but they're in the article regardless. They're just under a simpler exclusive deal, which the Little Witch Academia films also fall under now since Netflix snatched the first one from Crunchyroll.

SkerllyF wrote:
So far it seems that Netflix wants exclusive series that have international appeal, or that even if they´re set in Japan, they have some international appeal. By now, this type of selection has worked, although can anyone confirm which is the average percent on viewership for any of these shows?

I think they're focused on trying to increase their Japanese subscriber base, hence why they're producing an anime based on a Go Nagai title, because if there's anyone who certainly doesn't sell in the west, it's Go Nagai.

Kakyleee wrote:
hickey92 wrote:
I wouldn't do that to my beloved Trigger Very Happy

They don't mind, though. The LWA producer did an AMA on a certain western website some weeks ago fully aware that everyone there is watching a fansub, as there is no legal stream on the West. They are cool with it. I guess they dislike Netflix's decision as much as we do.

They stated at their Anime Expo panel that they wanted to go with the #1 global TV platform for that show and that was Netflix. Crunchyroll would've simulcast it globally, but they're a fraction of the size Netflix is and audience size was top priority for Trigger.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Never understood why people get so upset about how Netflix handles anime. LWA was the only show I was interested in last season and I'm having no problem waiting for whenever Netflix throws it on their site to watch it. Have a hard time relating to those who feel otherwise.

Because not everyone watches anime exactly like you. I am, personally, fine with marathoning shows at the end of a season, but as someone who loves the discussion that surrounds shows as they air, Netflix sticking their shows in a box and not letting them out till everyone has already lost interest, is bad. It's bad for the shows and the community. Remember Kuromukuro? 'cause most people don't. Out of all the people I talk to on the internet, like two of them have ever seen it. Why? Because it wasn't streaming during its season and no one has time to go back to a previous season to watch something old when 40+ new shows from a brand new season are coming out. LWA is going to deal with the same thing. Outside of a couple small hardcore groups, no one is talking about it. Rather than being the biggest show of the season, it is doomed to near irrelevancy. It might still do fine number wise, but this community will hardly be talking about it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, relyat08, I think you are right. In many ways, from a public awareness point of view, being on Netflix is probably the most damaging platform. At least shows that are on Amazon have a chance of getting episode reviews at ANN, like Onihei did last season. Although, even at that, I'm convinced there would have been more chatter about Onihei if it had been on CR.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Sadly, relyat08, I think you are right. In many ways, from a public awareness point of view, being on Netflix is probably the most damaging platform. At least shows that are on Amazon have a chance of getting episode reviews at ANN, like Onihei did last season. Although, even at that, I'm convinced there would have been more chatter about Onihei if it had been on CR.

Given that Onihei was in the bottom three streaming reviews for traffic this season but Scum's Wish was in the top three, I'd say Amazon's licensing choices ultimately have nothing to do with traffic for individual reviews. Pirates gonna pirate regardless, which makes it especially bothersome when we can't cover shows like Little Witch Academia week to week, given the huge swaths of people watching it illegally and looking for editorial content while it's hot. Limited streaming availability is way better than none in terms of our ability to cover material. I really hope Netflix puts LWA up soon!
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Netflix normally posts their seasonal batches only about a week after the series ends. If they count the first season as going through episode 13 for LWA then I'd expect to see it appear this weekend or early next week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:55 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Given that Onihei was in the bottom three streaming reviews for traffic this season but Scum's Wish was in the top three, I'd say Amazon's licensing choices ultimately have nothing to do with traffic for individual reviews. Pirates gonna pirate regardless, which makes it especially bothersome when we can't cover shows like Little Witch Academia week to week, given the huge swaths of people watching it illegally and looking for editorial content while it's hot. Limited streaming availability is way better than none in terms of our ability to cover material. I really hope Netflix puts LWA up soon!

I'm not quite sure what relevance your post has to mine. Who knows what the traffic for Scum's Wish episode reviews would have been here if it had streamed on CR instead of Amazon? I'd be willing to bet they'd be even higher than they were. Sure people are going to watch Scum's Wish even if they aren't legitimately subscribed. I did. But there's lots of others who won't. The more barriers you put in front of show to watch it, the smaller the audience is likely to be.

So my point remains that if Onihei had been on CR instead of Amazon, you'd likely see greater traffic for its episode reviews here.
Wonderllama

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:49 am Reply with quote
An underrated feature Netflix has is how they can have multiple languages and subtitles available in the same video. When I watched FMA, sometimes I would switch between the languages just to see the differences.

I'm mostly happy with Netflix. I just wish they wouldn't tease me by randomly deciding to stream 52 episodes of Detective Conan. The service that decides to pick up the previous 600 episodes would have my money for a loooong time.

Gemnist wrote:
I usually don't simulcast, so I'm fine mostly. But they're getting rid of Fate/Zero on the 15th, and now I'm pissed at them for taking away BOTH of anime's greatest entries (the other is FMAB).

I'm in the middle of watching it too. But they did announce Fate/Apocrypha will be a Netflix exclusive. It would make a lot of sense to renew Fate/Zero to help hype it up.

FMA Brotherhood is on Hulu and Crunchyroll, so it's not too bad.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:33 am Reply with quote
I haven't really had an issue with how they do business, at least after their poor handling of Seven Deadly Sins, never officially announcing that they even acquired it until near when they were prepared to release it, over a year after it started airing. I'd prefer simulcasts but their titles are generally worth the wait for me. As for the best of their exclusive catalog, I'd probably go with Ajin, though we'll see if LWA changes that (come out soon!).
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:50 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Remember Kuromukuro? 'cause most people don't. Out of all the people I talk to on the internet, like two of them have ever seen it.

Kuromukuro is the poster child for why the approach Netflix has taken seems so self-destructive. Without the constant drumbeat of attention that shows aired weekly receive, series like Kuromukuro get ignored. The same problem plagued Fune wo Amu ("The Great Passage") on Amazon last year. Online discussion plays an important role in developing interest in anime shows. Without it, shows like Fune wo Amu and Kuromukuro fall by the wayside.

That's why I don't think either Amazon or Netflix has much understanding of how the US anime marketplace has evolved over the years. I doubt either service reached out to fans, say in focus groups or at conventions, to learn about their viewing patterns. I'd be curious to know whether either company even talked to people in the industry like the editors here at ANN when designing their anime offerings. It seems like their decisions were made in a vacuum.

Of course, this is the perspective of someone living in the US and evaluating the decisions by Netflix and Amazon in that context. If the real motivation for these companies is expanding their services into the nascent Japanese streaming marketplace, then their decisions may be more understandable. Given that the shows we watch via streams in the West are telecast in Japan, providing an archiving service rather than showing episodes as they are aired may make sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4