• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are OVA Episodes Seldom Licensed?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
To the US, Amazon Japan may as well be shipping from the next town over. It's cheap, quick, and incredibly efficient. I don't know how bad it apparently is for Auzzies, but yeah, Amazon Japan is amazing if you're ordering from the US. 2 day Global shipping that costs only 1200 yen(+300 for additional items), and they always package items really nicely. Doesn't get any better than that for international shipping.

I just went and checked my Amazon Japan order history, and shipping on DVDs actually had always been pretty good. It's shipping on manga that had been horrible; every manga order I had, I was paying more in shipping than I was for the books themselves.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
I have several that are on Blu-ray. Right off the top of my head, I can think of some from The Testament of Sister New Devil, Queen's Blade, and Samurai Girls - though the fact that those are all fanservice-heavy is probably part of why they're on Blu-ray.

You are confusing OADs (which come bundled with special manga compilations) with unaired episodes included with the blu-ray release. BTW, recently some OADs have been released in blu-ray (HD) format, which makes sense as slowly but surely becomes the new standard. I wonder how long will DVD releases will continue to be a thing, sooner or later they will become a relic of the 20th century like LD or VHS.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
every manga order I had, I was paying more in shipping than I was for the books themselves.

They must ship that by weight, I imagine. Which would definitely add up quite a lot... Sad
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:32 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Kalessin wrote:
I have several that are on Blu-ray. Right off the top of my head, I can think of some from The Testament of Sister New Devil, Queen's Blade, and Samurai Girls - though the fact that those are all fanservice-heavy is probably part of why they're on Blu-ray.

You are confusing OADs (which come bundled with special manga compilations) with unaired episodes included with the blu-ray release.

Actually, I'm not confusing them. The Testament of Sister New Devil had a Blu-ray come with a volume of the manga and another with one of the light novels. Queen's Blade and Samurai Girls both released Blu-rays with artbooks. And I have all of those. Also, I know that High School DxD had some come with some of its light novels as well, though unfortunately, I don't have those. For instance, here's one of the High School DxD ones:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-1695106

It may very well be as you say that the majority of them are DVDs, but they've definitely been releasing OADs that are Blu-rays for at least some of the fanservice-heavy series.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:21 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
CANimeFan88 wrote:
Forgive me for not having a full understanding of things but....would it still be possible for me as an anime fan in North America to get his hands on a Japanese copy of an OVA in home video format even though it's unsubbed/untranslated?

Get your hands on it? Absolutely. It'll cost more than a US release of it would by a large margin, but certainly possible. cdjapan.co.jp will export and has an English site. And there's also Amazon Japan, but shipping is horrendous from them.

Playing it though, that's the tricky bit. Last I heard multi-region DVD players were pretty uncommon in the US.

Actually, they're not as hard to get a hold of as you think. I've purchased three in the past year right off good ol' Amazon USA. All are retrofitted Sony Blu/DVD region-free players with built-in PAL for European DVDs, and only cost $150 a unit. Since I got these units, Amazon UK has become another anime source for me.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
OADs are pretty much always on DVDs. I can't think of an OAD that has been released on BD though I imagine there has to be at least a couple.

OAD stands for "Original Animation DVD" so...

AstroNerdBoy wrote:
This article didn't discuss OADs, which are sometimes called OVAs. OADs are often exclusively attached to some limited edition manga.

It.. does (albeit in passing): "Same goes for manga pack-in OVAs: those are usually controlled entirely by the manga publisher."

OAD is a much later term than OVA/OAV, being a marketing term made up Kodansha. I don't know if any other publishers took it up, or if it is even still in use.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
OADs are pretty much always on DVDs. I can't think of an OAD that has been released on BD though I imagine there has to be at least a couple.

OAD stands for "Original Animation DVD" so...

I think you better update to "Original Animation Disc"

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/02/26/big-order-oad-to-be-bundled-with-manga-8th-volume
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
That really depends whether the publisher themselves actually referred to it as an "OAD" or whether that just a term Crunchyroll applied. For one thing, Big Order is Kadokawa and again, AFAIK "OAD" was a Kodansha term, and our article doesn't mention it. There's also this page which refers to it as an "Original Anime BD" and an OVA (in the URL).

For reference, I own some of the original Kodansha OADs, e.g. https://goo.gl/photos/CjgHA6DZR6mVMs1a6

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
... which refers to it as an "Original Anime BD" and an OVA

It makes sense that while we are in the transition period they will call it a BD (or Blu-ray) to avoid confusion (like "Hey, this is not SD but HD!") but IMO we are not too far from the moment where blu-ray market penetration (among otaku in japan) becomes too high and savings for producing in DVD format become so low that a shift in format (to lure more buyers) will happen and I don't see them coining a new acronym (OAB sounds ugly and OBA looks like a orthographic error of OVA) when the original term already refers to a Digital Video/Versatile Disc. Time will tell.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5