• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pony Canyon USA Reveals Details for Kuromukuro Anime's Blu-ray Disc Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
And because their release history seems filled with some bad-mediocre shows. If they stay around, it won't really affect me since I don't buy BD's or DVD's.

As someone who regularly buys quite a few anime BDs, I can't really say that any of their releases have made me think, "man, if Sentai was putting out this show, I would be all over it." I'm sure that - just like any other anime company - they have their fair share of good and bad shows. It's just that the "bad" stuff is so much more visible due to their pricing.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Quote:
Some of the Sentai 1 cour CE releases are pretty close, actually.
Beyond the Boundary is actually more: $135
Chunibyo 2 is close: $112
Monster Musume isn't much cheaper: $98
Chivalry of a Failed Knight is close too: $111

Not a real good example. All of those except Chunibyo 2 have standard edition Blurays if you don't want the SE. Chunibyo 2 has a DVD version and the Bluray was also on sale a couple of weeks ago for $67 +change. Pony Canyon doesn't deal in standard editions and seldom go on sale.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I was also convinced that Ponycan USA was dead. I have been very harsh on them because of their ridiculous high prices, horrible packaging and lack of dubs. But if they are coming back, and their new strategy for physical releases is going to be one cour sets for around $120 (and hopefully no more giant DVD cases), I can support them.

By the way, the two Kuromukuro sets have been up for pre-order since May 2. Why did ANN took 12 days to report on this. PCUSA slashing their prices almost in half seems like a big deal to me.

relyat08 wrote:
Ultimately this is cheaper than Aniplex of America(although they have experimented with a couple of cheaper re-releases lately too), and a huge move in the right direction. If I was in the financial position to do so, I'd pick it up myself, because I'd like to support them making good decisions after their wreck of a launch(and the release looks really cool too!). I think we should try to support good decisions and not drown them in haterade quite so readily, personally

I am with you. This is a step in the right direction, and some people are dismissing it. I did not like Kuromukuro enough to buy a physical copy, but if Sound! Euphonium 2 is released in one set for $120-130, I am willing to buy it and their previous releases of season one.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Sun May 14, 2017 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:
And because their release history seems filled with some bad-mediocre shows. If they stay around, it won't really affect me since I don't buy BD's or DVD's.

As someone who regularly buys quite a few anime BDs, I can't really say that any of their releases have made me think, "man, if Sentai was putting out this show, I would be all over it." I'm sure that - just like any other anime company - they have their fair share of good and bad shows. It's just that the "bad" stuff is so much more visible due to their pricing.

The thing is, PonyCan have only licensed 13 shows in total and almost all of them are bad or below average, that's why it stood out to me. I loved Denki Gai, Kuromukuro, I haven't seen Yuuki Yuna and I'm indifferent towards Hibike s1 and I disliked S2 heavily. The rest of their stuff is either on my dropped list or something I disliked.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

Not a real good example. All of those except Chunibyo 2 have standard edition Blurays if you don't want the SE. Chunibyo 2 has a DVD version and the Bluray was also on sale a couple of weeks ago for $67 +change. Pony Canyon doesn't deal in standard editions and seldom go on sale.

We are comparing a CE to a CE though. That's all this is. The previous comment was complaining about this being absurdly expensive and not in line with other Sentai/Funimation CEs. It, in fact, is in line with a number of them. At least Sentai ones.

Kadmos1 wrote:
At least AoA's prices can be somewhat more decent than this.

Once again, AoA is, at the very best, in this same ballpark(Durarara, Baccano). Most of the time they are significantly more expensive though.
Bakemonogatari: $150 for 15 episodes.
Fate Zero: $140 or so per cour.
Fate: UBW: $170 per cour.
Kizumonogatari: $70 per one hour movie.
Garden of Sinners: $400 for 7 movies.
Gurren Lagann CE: $450 for 2 cours.
Erased: $180 for 1 cour.

This is a VERY decent price. Are people even doing the math?? Or is it just fun to have something to hate?? I get it, PC kinda sucks and their launch was horrible. But give them some credit guys. Don't just irrationally hate something because you can't be bothered to actually run some numbers.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Dang that much? I think I'll just stream it on Netflix and call it a day. Not spending about $150, let alone $120 for a set of Blu-rays, especially when there's only collector's editions available.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I only own the 3 Yuki Yuna S1 sets from Ponycan as it's the only thing they've dubbed and I don't spend money especially Ponycan prices on subbed only blurays. If this is their new model going forward I certainly see it as an improvement as I hated their old packaging and while still pricy $120 per cour is a lot better then their old price. Might pick these 2 sets up some day due to it being only the second bluray set from Ponycan that is dubbed even if the dub was technically provided/paid for by netflix rather then ponycan themselves.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:00 am Reply with quote
I'm sticking to the dub via Netflix if there's such a boxset price from PC.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:10 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

We are comparing a CE to a CE though. That's all this is. The previous comment was complaining about this being absurdly expensive and not in line with other Sentai/Funimation CEs. It, in fact, is in line with a number of them. At least Sentai ones.

While Sentai's CE's have similar MSRP's, it's important to point out that they never sell for that, and can be very easily for well under $100 in most cases. Perhaps the only exception is IS2, but that's basically an import of the Japanese box set with bilingual discs added. I have most of the Sentai collector's sets, and haven't paid over $100 for any of them even when you factor in sales tax.

Not to mention, Sentai has stopped doing single cour releases, and now does full season sets. Per episode, you're still paying quite a bit more for a PonyCan show. Not to mention, Sentai's CE's have similar content and a nice box to keep them in, and they still give you the option of the regular edition for significantly less.

No one is denying that this isn't a big improvement over their past releases, but it's still considerably more expensive per episode than what you are able to get from Sentai and Funimation, especially if you are willing to skip the collector's set. Even at the sale price, I could buy three of Sentai's recent collector's editions, like Amagi, Ajin, or Dan Machi, for the same price as the full season of Kuromukuro. (Only Dan Machi cost over $90 on amazon when I ordered it, and just barely.)
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:06 am Reply with quote
@relyat08

I realize you were comparing Collector Editions. My point was that Sentai offers an alternative to those not interested in or unable to spend that much. Pony Canyon doesn't. I suspect that if they offered a reasonably priced standard edition of their shows most of the controversy would simply go away. The problem with comparing only Collector Editions is that it obscures the fact that the bulk of the money is going to obtain a legal hard copy of the show. Certainly I have yet to see a collectors edition where the trinkets, post cards, fancy box and other pack ins justified the price without the show.

To me it boils down to a cost/benefit decision. Whether I like a company's policies or not is not an issue. I don't care for Aniplex's prices either but I buy some of their titles. It depends on if I feel the show is worth what they are charging. So far, Pony Canyon hasn't offered anything I want at the prices asked. Everyone has to do their own cost/benefit analysis on each show. It is going to vary a lot from person to person and from show to show.
simona.com

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:11 am Reply with quote
I totally love this show but I ain't gonna cough out 240$ sorry (Y_Y)
hope they'll ship a more affordable version one day.

it is totally demented marketing to try to sell something that
expensive about a [albeit great] series that people barely know.
basically suicidal.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:29 am Reply with quote
I'd buy the two Hibike seasons for ~$250, but have no interest in Kuromukuro. I wish they had changed up their release pricing for Hibike though. Would much rather pay $120 per cour than $70 * 3 for a cour.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:23 pm Reply with quote
^Ditto. Two glorious box sets like this for Euphonium would've been an instant buy for me. I'm annoyed it's not going to be like that. And if they put season two in a box set now it'll be mismatched on my shelf... oh well. I think I'd still prefer that to buying another 3 volume release at $72 per 4 episodes. Sad

dragonrider_cody wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

While Sentai's CE's have similar MSRP's, it's important to point out that they never sell for that, and can be very easily for well under $100 in most cases. Perhaps the only exception is IS2, but that's basically an import of the Japanese box set with bilingual discs added. I have most of the Sentai collector's sets, and haven't paid over $100 for any of them even when you factor in sales tax.

Not to mention, Sentai has stopped doing single cour releases, and now does full season sets. Per episode, you're still paying quite a bit more for a PonyCan show. Not to mention, Sentai's CE's have similar content and a nice box to keep them in, and they still give you the option of the regular edition for significantly less.

No one is denying that this isn't a big improvement over their past releases, but it's still considerably more expensive per episode than what you are able to get from Sentai and Funimation, especially if you are willing to skip the collector's set. Even at the sale price, I could buy three of Sentai's recent collector's editions, like Amagi, Ajin, or Dan Machi, for the same price as the full season of Kuromukuro. (Only Dan Machi cost over $90 on amazon when I ordered it, and just barely.)

A lot of people ARE denying that this is a big improvement over their past releases though. Not necessarily just here(though there are certainly a couple of comments), but all over the internet. I've seen very little other than ignorant backlash, frankly.
All of the shows that I listed are one cour releases and the price that I listed was the STORE PRICE. Not the MSRP(which happens to be almost identical for most compared to the Kuromukuro set as well), but what they are currently going for on Rightstuf(you can get most of them for even more on Amazon, if you want!!). So you are paying almost exactly the same per episode if you buy those Sentai releases compared to this PC release. That's my point.
And yes, I know that Sentai has regular sales, and a lot of people wait for those. But PC has had several sales as well, if you look back over the last year or so, so comparing the sale price of one to the store price of another is also unfair. Right now, right here, we are comparing store price to store price.

@Alan45
Yeah, I understand that. I am not debating that. I wish there was an SE for everything as well. And I'm not blindly defending anyone. I'm simply comparing one CE to another CE based on the price they are currently going for.
For what it's worth though, as someone who typically buys a lot of CE sets, I have pretty much stopped buying them from Sentai entirely because the content that they include is rarely of any interest to me at all. It's almost all cheap filler. At the very least what comes with this set from PC is better quality content. OSTs and content about the creation of the show will always trump plastic glasses and trinkets.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
@relyat08

Actually, for at least the last year, Amazon has been considerably less than Right Stuf for Sentai releases, even during their Studio Sales. As I said, I paid less than $90 for all of my Sentai CE's except for Dan Machi (which was just a few dollars over that on Amazon), and several were in the $60-70 range without a sale. So no, I would still be paying considerably more per episode for PC's releases, even with their new MSRP and lower store prices. Of course, the Sentai prices on Amazon, Deep Discount, B&N, and others seem to fluctuate more often than PC releases.

That's still 30 bucks less per set, or 60 for two cours. That $60 could buy me another collector's set on, possibly on sale, or a regular edition and movie. As I said, it's a move in the right direction, but it's still more than I'm willing to pay for what they give you. The Sentai and Funimation CE's can be easily found for less and have superior packaging. Some of Sentai's even offer the soundtracks, booklets, and manga volumes. Right now, I have Chivalry of a Failed Knight's Collector's Edition preordered at Amazon. It was about $160 when I placed my order, but has since dropped down to $97. That's $23 less than the lowest listing I've seen for Kuromukuro. For both releases, I would be spending $46 more than a comparable LE from Sentai, which could easily buy a regular edition Bluray with a few bucks left over.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm not American so Ponycan USA doesn't really affect me, but this pricing is ridiculous. I am a collector of anime BD's and DVD's, but even for shows I truly love and regard as some of the best animes, I wouldn't put down 240 bucks for 26 episodes, no thanks.

I also don't like this trend of only having collector's editions. Personally I like regular editions much better because I don't care about the bonuses and it's more affordable. Anime Limited is doing this kind of thing in too and I'm really not a fan of it (got suckered into buying a regular edition for Space Dandy S1, only to realize S2 only has a collector's edition. Now however there's a complete REGULAR set with both seasons for the same price as S1 alone was... UGH).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3