• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Skirt no Naka wa Kedamono Deshita. Manga Gets TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:23 pm Reply with quote
kuzronk wrote:
More transphobicia crap from Japan. At least it's honest about it unlike something like Ouran and Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet.

Aren't you jumping the gun a bit? If they're not trans, then it's impossible for something to be transphobic. From the summary it sounds they are merely a crossdresser.

-Stuart Smith
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
kuzronk wrote:
More transphobicia crap from Japan. At least it's honest about it unlike something like Ouran and Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet.

Aren't you jumping the gun a bit? If they're not trans, then it's impossible for something to be transphobic. From the summary it sounds they are merely a crossdresser.

-Stuart Smith

I'm sorry, while it is quite possible that kuzronk is indeed jumping the gun here, claiming it's "impossible for something to be transphobic" unless it has a trans character in it is absurd.

By that logic, if I record myself going on a 20 minute rant about how much I hate black people, using the N word constantly, it's not actually racist, because hey, I'm a white person, so the video wouldn't have any black people in it, and you can't be racist without black people?

Or heck, back to the anime in question, one of the characters could outright say "I'm so glad you're a crossdresser, and not one of those (insert slur for trans woman) freaks!" and you'd say it's not transphobic. It could outright argue that all trans people deserve to be murdered, and hey, still not transphobic, because it doesn't include a trans person.

Now, I am obvious using extreme examples here. I do not in any way believe anything like the above paragraph will happen in the anime. But the point still stands: it IS possible to be transphobic despite not actually featuring a trans person, and it's possible this show will be like that. Though if it is, it will of course likely be more subtle about it
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
But the point still stands: it IS possible to be transphobic despite not actually featuring a trans person, and it's possible this show will be like that. Though if it is, it will of course likely be more subtle about it

And possibly unconsciously or unintentionally.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
But the point still stands: it IS possible to be transphobic despite not actually featuring a trans person, and it's possible this show will be like that. Though if it is, it will of course likely be more subtle about it

Let me rephrase my post then. Presumably the issue the poster had with this is the idea of a woman inviting another woman back to her home and she turns out to be a man. This would tie into the quote earlier about why some people don't like the term trap because of transgender issues. Since, according to the summary, the character is a crossdresser and not transgendered, the act is not about the quoted trans issues, and interpreting it as such seems like projection. Unless this changes or we get new info, calling it transphobic seems unfounded.

-Stuart Smith
trilaan

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:42 am Reply with quote
I don't think of myself as transgender, but I am a crossdresser, frankly, all this mess about appropriate terminology makes me think that I might come across as a bad person, like people might think I'm imitating a transgender individual, being insulting towards them, etc when I'm not. I love transgender people, in fact, I'm almost exclusively attracted to transwomen and other male-to-female crossdressers. But I'll stop using the "t" word, I have no special attachment to it.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
I think it's pretty reasonable to avoid using a term that's offensive to them for reasons relating to discriminatory and violent attitudes towards them.

I think it's pretty offensive to use the term in question for trans people in general, yes. If I'm describing the already squicky situation of "trans / cross dresser specifically used as a plot device to surprise a heterosexual person" I think it's more reasonable. The term objectifies people; it seems reasonably appropriate to use it for a situation that is already objectifying and fetishing the condition, celebrating its taboo nature.

Sometimes it's useful to have a shorthand to distinguish between "this piece of fiction features trans people in a respectful, humanizing manner" and "this piece of fiction objectives them as fetish fuel," and using the term does so. It's the same reason why I hesitate to put Yuri on Ice in the "BL" category, since I associate that with heterosexual female fetish. I understand people taking offense regardless, though. It's more understandable, after all, than when people have objected to the term being put in the mouth of a character who is supposed to be offensive and hated by the audience.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
That makes it in somewhat common usage, but by no means universal and certainly not official. If it's not in a proper dictionary, it's not officially part of the language, however commonly it might be used, no matter what websites use it.

The dictionary definition for anime itself is still hilariously wrong to this day despite being there for decades. The dictionary is not an arbiter of truth. It's easy to get words added and stricken from it for social or political reasons. We have Simpsons slang in ours because someone thought it'd be funny. Most terms and words in anime are unofficial or slang and certainly can't be found in the dictionary, but are commonly used even in shows themselves. Tsundere. Isekai. JC. People here love using weeaboo, fujoshi, and otaku despite them also being derogitory slurs.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Alright I am locking this down. This transphobic discussion is utterly off topic and if I simply cleaned up the rude or OT posts this thread would barely have any posts left.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3