• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Attack on Titan Creator Laments His Poor Drawing Skills at Signing Event

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I respect Mr. Isayama-san for his perseverance, even when it seemed that his manga would never get published. His drawings are much better now than they were in Attack on Titan's early days.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
sarroush wrote:
He should lament what he did in Chapter 93 instead.

But that was hilarious.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
His drawings are quite rough in the earlier chapters but even so it's been improving much. I'm actually quite sad that the author himself thinks his art is unremarkable.

Even so, his characters doodles are still recognizable and I found the doodles rather cute. Also isn't it ironic that he found that the MC is the hardest to draw lol
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Yuza wrote:

At this point I don't think the fans would accept someone else drawing it, because style is hard to replicate and no one wants to watch an imitator who could always be drawing their own style. He still wants to draw the manga, he's just frustrated with his skills. Handing over your own manga to someone else just hurts your pride, your credibility and your wallet since splitting the money also becomes a problem.

He could have looked for an artist to work with in the beginning, but finding someone who you can actually trust to draw your story is difficult. Writing takes up way less time and money than drawing, and when you do get serialized the issue of payment can destroy a partnership. Also, he might really like drawing too, even if he isn't that good at it yet.

I think they were willing to publish him in the first place because his art showed potential and was perfectly serviceable, and if you draw every day trying to meet a deadline you're going to get better. His mindset shows he wants to improve too, so he has a good attitude as well.

I feel like there are enough solid pairs that have worked out that I don't really think most of these would be that big of an issue for a lot of people. Maybe they are to him, but I don't see anyone losing credibility because they don't draw AND write their manga.
Yuza

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:30 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Yuza wrote:

At this point I don't think the fans would accept someone else drawing it, because style is hard to replicate and no one wants to watch an imitator who could always be drawing their own style. He still wants to draw the manga, he's just frustrated with his skills. Handing over your own manga to someone else just hurts your pride, your credibility and your wallet since splitting the money also becomes a problem.

He could have looked for an artist to work with in the beginning, but finding someone who you can actually trust to draw your story is difficult. Writing takes up way less time and money than drawing, and when you do get serialized the issue of payment can destroy a partnership. Also, he might really like drawing too, even if he isn't that good at it yet.

I think they were willing to publish him in the first place because his art showed potential and was perfectly serviceable, and if you draw every day trying to meet a deadline you're going to get better. His mindset shows he wants to improve too, so he has a good attitude as well.

I feel like there are enough solid pairs that have worked out that I don't really think most of these would be that big of an issue for a lot of people. Maybe they are to him, but I don't see anyone losing credibility because they don't draw AND write their manga.

I don't think anyone doubts that artist/writer teams can work, but there's a difference between a team that started out from the beginning and handing off a huge part of your work to someone else.

I'm not sure of Japan's work culture but if you went into making this manga alone and suddenly had to give up part of it to someone else then it's going to be a huge blow to your confidence and possibly your reputation, unless you're sick like Togashi (and I doubt his editor would ask him to let go of the art at this point to respect his ownership and pride), because you're showing you don't have the work ethic or dedication required to see your manga serialized to the end.

I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad reflection on him, but not everyone sees it that way. A lot of fans hate change, even when it could help make things better. And from the publisher's point of view it's not really worth paying two people when the original author is already improving and can go on to make future hits.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:25 am Reply with quote
I don't think everyone sees it as a bad reflection on him. I've, in fact, never seen that sentiment before in my life. It sounds like something that would exist in Japan, so I don't doubt there are people who do see it that way, but I highly doubt the majority of readers would think he lacked the work ethic or dedication to see his manga to the end if he picked up some help on the drawing front(I'm sure he already has a number of assistants like any fairly popular mangaka).
Anyway though, I was more talking about from the beginning. I know I mentioned it wouldn't be hard for him to find a good artist now, but that was more a passing reference to OPM, rather than me saying he should have someone take over for him at this stage. Especially considering that he is significantly better than ever before(I won't rule out the possibility that his help might have something to do with that though). But really, from the beginning, after trying as many different publishers as he did and being consistently turned down, that's when I would have expected him to go give another artist a shot.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:40 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I remember reading the pilot chapter of Attack on Titan and I was shocked at how rough it looked. Some pages looked more like the school scribblings of a 15 year old rather than a sample work of someone who wants to be a professional. I thought "There are so many amazing artists out there that want to become manga artists. How did they approve this?"
But it seems like having a good artstyle is not the sole deciding factor when looking for promising manga artists., It's also about the characters, the story and most important: the potential.
That editor from Kodansha saw the potential and now we can look at how popular it got and how much Isayama has grown as an artist.
Flare-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:03 am Reply with quote
I agree his art has improved a lot, but I was a fan from the beginning. There's a dark grittiness to his work that really suits the story, and I can't imagine substituting it for flawless, perfectly drawn characters. I'd say his style has become identifiable at this point, and it exemplifies story and world-building in a way that prettier but more generic art often fails to do. Aside from the most iconic series, most manga fantasy worlds look uncannily alike, but Isayama's dark and often twisted aesthetic ensures that his work stands recognizably on its own. Really glad he stuck with it himself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2