• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kakegurui (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:12 am Reply with quote
Looks like this will again be embargoed until complete for US Netflix viewers. Only season one was listed there as of last night.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:24 pm Reply with quote

The clock is wound back to just before Yumeko's gamble as the revelation of the Momobami clan and the setup for the new election is given an airing. As hinted from her surname, Jabami is indeed part of the clan, but the others dismiss her as the "second daughter" of the lowest rung (I vaguely remember she had a family recovering from a serious accident when the council did a background check on her first season). Another surprising revelation is Batsugami (×喰) being an exile of the clan, which makes her role as a "butler" to the other clan guests rather surprising. Even the surname is surprisingly descriptive for her family's status.

Going back to the continuation of last week's gamble, it wouldn't have taken that much time to finish if the three of them kept getting lucky and missed the crucial rope. Turns out Mushibami jumped to the wrong conclusion and lost her only shield against her opponents. I think this is the first time since the tea ceremony gamble that Jabami fails to identify the trick correctly until after the gamble, although in this case it didn't change the outcome. She made an educated guess from the wobbly table, but the overseer kept her word on strict neutrality. Jabami's reaction at the end is so typical of her, the act of the gamble itself keeps her going more than anything else, no matter how much danger or physical risk it puts her under. Short of actually depriving her of the opportunity to experience the thrill of gambling the probabilities, Jabami won't hold anything against her opponents even if they're found out as cheaters in the end.

The rest of the Momobami clan are making their moves as well. The gamble which forced Jabami into the cat tag was easily overcome by one of the clan members, so the current council member is out of the running. If Jabami has to face down all of the clan members before taking on the council president, she will have no shortage of capable adversaries.

Looks like next week's gamble is set as well. Who is the vice-president behind the mask? Last season it was used as a cover to mask the president's supposed return to the campus, but if the two of them look identical is there more to it than it seems?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:

Going back to the continuation of last week's gamble, it wouldn't have taken that much time to finish if the three of them kept getting lucky and missed the crucial rope. Turns out Mushibami jumped to the wrong conclusion and lost her only shield against her opponents. I think this is the first time since the tea ceremony gamble that Jabami fails to identify the trick correctly until after the gamble, although in this case it didn't change the outcome. She made an educated guess from the wobbly table, but the overseer kept her word on strict neutrality. Jabami's reaction at the end is so typical of her, the act of the gamble itself keeps her going more than anything else, no matter how much danger or physical risk it puts her under. Short of actually depriving her of the opportunity to experience the thrill of gambling the probabilities, Jabami won't hold anything against her opponents even if they're found out as cheaters in the end.

Was that it? Rather than an educated guess of the table, I thought that the wobbly table did not actually mean anything, but knew that the ref would have fixed it, and Jabami cleverly used certain wording with that fact as her "cheat" in the game. Whether some protector was still in place, was the gamble that Jabami was playing. Knowing Jabami's smarts, despite how pissed off she was, wouldn't be surprised if she partially manipulated her other opponent to jump the shark at the end.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:02 pm Reply with quote

I guessed this was a two-episode arc based on the trailer shot of Marie and Yumeko post-gamble and am proven right.

Turns out the pair are actually siblings living in different households but with a bond so strong they can communicate perfectly non-verbally. In any other gamble, they would be virtually unstoppable, but they have seriously underestimated their opponents as well as the dealer involved and one has to pay a heavy price. I wonder if the elder sibling's decision is going to be their undoing; an unbreakable bond can be easily shattered by callous betrayal.

While the next gamble is being set up, it looks like Marie has made up her mind to throw her hat into the ring. She's reminded viewers how good she is, so next question is whether Lilica works with her as per the terms of the original gamble for a hundred chips.

Will viewers get to see the Council President take on her relatives in poker? She's reputedly the strongest gambler in the school together with Yumeko, so seeing how good she is beyond her reputation would be entertaining.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:29 pm Reply with quote

This two-episode arc was from the start all about Yumemiru. In case the audience had forgotten, the fact she was always using her idol career as a stepping stone to a serious acting one was rammed home last week. Facing off against her acting idol (and one of the Momogami clan reps) naturally puts Jabami to one side for the duration of the contest.

I didn't think last week's first contest was much of a gamble, since it was overwhelmingly obvious Yumemiru was outgunned in the talent and skill categories from the start. The second and especially the third gambles levelled the playing field, which is not a surprise since it appears the mediator thought it wouldn't be fair to let the outgunned pair not have a fighting chance to win the contest overall.

Interestingly, the Jabami and Yumemiru pairing NOT cooperating in the final gamble turned out to be the correct strategy. Jabami more or less admitted she could not discern when Warakubami was lying, so it almost certainly progressed with Jabami always telling the truth, Yumemiru always lying and Warakubami doing a mixture of both during the card dealing as predicted by the Hollywood actress. If that's the case, the actual card count could not be accurately discerned by any of the three contestants right at the end. Pitting all of her efforts (acting, the confession at the end) on an outcome with no definitive chance of success was the only option left for Yumemiru, but that's the sort of outcome Jabami loves to experience and she walked away happy at the end with Yumemiru's efforts. Whatever happens afterwards, I don't think it likely Jabami will give Yumemiru the cold shoulder like she does with Ikishima.

With that final scene, it seems another gamble is in the works with Totobami Terano involved. There are a few shots of Sumeragi Itsuki and Manyuuda Kaede as well. Given how prominently the pair are featured in the OP, I'm hoping they participate in the next gamble. Half way through this one season adaptation so far, but the gambles have been well designed and there's no letup in the stakes.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:39 am Reply with quote

The gambles thus far have been easy to understand and to follow. This week's one on the other hand isn't immediately easy to understand because of the way the tax and savings systems work. To top it off, all five contestants need to do exactly enough to make it to the final results announcement or they will all fail and lose their accumulated chips to Todobami Terano.

Manyuuda is back! The strongest male gambler of the series to date (not that there were many candidates to choose from) is effectively Sumeragi's slave, but she would like him to regain his old competitive swagger rather than mope around in his current destitute state. He's taking part, but he doesn't seem particularly interested and he definitely doesn't owe Jabami anything to ease her way through this story arc.

Based on the back end, there are 2 5s, 2 4s and a 3 yet only 13 coins were paid as tax. That leaves a deficit of 8. A simplistic way of seeing it would be to accuse either the pair with a 5 and 3 of free riding or the two individuals with 4s. This assumes of course that the experiment proceeded with all contestants going for a min-max approach to appropriating allocated funds, there is the possibility that ALL FIVE contestants cheated by slyly siphoning off 1 or 2 coins from their allocation (for example 2, 4, 3, 3, 1 is possible). Jabami had a 4, so if the min-max approach was adopted she and Obami Ibara could have cheated with the other three playing it straight and allocating their full allocation into the tax box. Manyuudou may claim he has objective evidence for fingering Jabami as the traitor, but there's no way only one person could have betrayed the group in the second run so there's definitely more than meets the eye.

Next week's episode title: 負けない女. There are only three female contestants directly participating in this week's gamble, so who on earth is being referred to? Definitely not Jabami, as she's already lost a gamble in the previous season. Likewise for Sumeragi Itsuki. Then Honebami Miraslava? The rep hailing from a family of interrogators?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:11 pm Reply with quote

That was an unexpected conclusion. The episode title doesn't refer to someone who was going to lose this gamble per se, but to something else less obvious at first glance. Indeed, she didn't lose the "gamble" at all if Miraslava read her correctly at the end.

Manyuuda needed a bit of stimulation, but once he got going he proved once again why he earned a place in the Students Council to begin with. To be honest, even without the double act all five contestants had to do something in turn 4 or it was guaranteed annihilation. Another unfortunate fact of life and human society: no matter how much people hate, despise and distrust each other cooperation can be forced when everyone is faced with a mutual threat so strong it threatens indiscriminate destruction without appropriate reaction.

In the end, Manyuuda's calculation of each person's share prior to the contestant's exile was spot on. After the exile is removed and the exile's share of the coins is divvied out, the totals at the end match. The big winner is of course Terano who had insurance to cover for the outcome where the contestants invested the minimum necessary for her to pay out all of her chips. The Council President doesn't seem to mind though, after all she only started the contest to begin with to see what her allegorical aquarium would turn out. Her devoted follower on the other hand... well I suppose viewers will get to look forward to the next arc if the trailer is any indication.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:07 pm Reply with quote

A little diversion this week as Igarashi Sayaka has snapped and challenged Jabami Yumeko to a duel unrelated to the ongoing contest. It's a bit harsh accusing someone of being a bringer of plagues, but she has a point since Jabami's addiction to the thrill of gambling has the unfortunate side effect of raising the stakes too high for most people to gamble without getting seriously burned.

The gamble itself is completely outlandish. The President has a tower built for absolutely no other reason than for people to hold gambles on it. To top it off, it's high enough that the President's suggestion of raising the stakes enough to literally kill the loser is not an idle threat but a guaranteed outcome for those who fall off the top.

So far, it looks like Igarashi is taking the slow and methodical approach to approaching the tower and is going after it floor by floor. Jabami is no slouch with regards to the questions and their nature, but what's she thinking when she picked a door leading outside with no staircase or aids to help scale or descend the tower?! Throughout all this, the President is clearly enjoying the spectacle, although looking at next week's trailer it looks like the tower game won't last the whole of next week.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:19 pm Reply with quote

The conclusion of the tower gamble. Two things I can take away from this week: One is Igarashi Sayaka isn't cut out for gambles because she's shackled by reason and doesn't have the imagination required to attain the heights of the President and Jabami Yumeko. The second is any gamble that will take place between the pair of gambling addicts needs to be the right combination of skill, mental calculation and the random element of chance to be truly worthwhile.

Jabami's completely random decision to open the outer walls paid dividends, since she was able to work out the tower's mechanism and thus overturn the gap. Considering she appeared the turn after Igarashi, it appears she did not make the same mistake Igarashi did in choosing a ladder with a 1 marked on it otherwise there's no way she would have descended so quickly.

I'm still not sure why one of the six doors was the "right" one which avoided a very messy ending. The President admitted she wanted the right to jump off her tower first, but any of the six doors leading outside would have been a straight drop five floors down, so I need to think about the nature of the questions to the doors since that apparently determined which one had the "safe" option. Logically speaking, one mat alone would probably not have allowed the two to survive the fall unscathed from that distance.

It appears the election committee also has the right to determine which gambles are used to determine the exchange of tickets. If the gamble is too boring and/or not the perfect combination of luck and skill, it gets rejected out of hand. I've no idea what the idea behind the 100-ticket auction is, but it's something to look forward to next week.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:17 pm Reply with quote

No announcement of the adaptation continuing beyond March, so it looks like this episode is the penultimate one as the "auction" serves as the final gamble for this season. There are a lot of questions behind this gamble, which I hope to see resolved by the end of next week's episode.

I've not participated in an actual auction, so I don't know what the technical term "lot" means. To date the episode has gone through seven lots with the sponsor for the auction thoroughly making a profit on each Lot auction so far. As confirmed by the election committee, the tokens for this auction are not held by any of the leading contenders nor held as a reserve fund by the current Council (which I thought was the case to begin with). If so, where did the sponsor get the tokens from? If seven lots = seven hundred tokens, it's not feasible for this auction takes place UNLESS the sponsor only came up with 100 tokens to begin with and everything after that is a pure exchange of tokens as the auctioneer uses the proceeds of each lot auction to pay off the winner of each lot.

As for that final scene, the character biographies of each person to feature in this season's adaptation all have a blurb on the official adaptation website and Batsugami is no different. There's already something interesting written about the auctioneer, but the backstory aired so far is an unusual one since Rei is supposed to be an exiled clan member and has been brought to the academy specifically as the wild card against the Council President. To top it off, every time opinion has been sought regarding gambles the queries are fended off with a straight bat. Personal opinion on gambles from said person is that they are a disease which drive the participants into madness.

Now that Jabami has upped the ante and is finally using her 30 billion yen for the first time this season, time to see what Batsugami is really about and the gimmicks behind the auction. Jabami has yet to lose a gamble she has participated in (she didn't lose the earlier Uno gamble even after Saotome stepped in as a replacement) so I'm interested to see if her winning streak will persist to the end of the season.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:32 pm Reply with quote

Interesting conclusion. Batsugami's premise on setting the gamble up was working properly up to the point before Jabami as usual threw a spanner in the works and overturned the one thing which kept her gamble going as a rational exercise. When Jabami says they managed to communicate with each other non-verbally in the gamble, it first required someone to intentionally take a loss from each gamble to win the trust of the others so that they could come up with a strategy to take down the auction without outwardly breaking the rules. In this case Jabami deliberately lose 4-5 tokens with her 101 bids, before the other Momogami in the other room did the same once. After that, it was a simple matter of Jabami and her kin alternating with each other with the 1 token bids. As Jabami rightly said, anyone in the room could also bid so Saotome and the tea ceremony president Seidouin got at least one successful bid in to capitalise on the situation. From then on, it was only a matter of time before Batsugami ran out of tokens to auction.

That said, helping students across the campus could give rise to THAT many tokens to form the war chest is a surprising development. The school roster is a lot bigger than I thought it was if all of the livestock students and non-participating regular students pooled their funds together into the auction box.

An interesting flashback from Batsugami's past also indirectly reveals Jabami's in the process. Turns out her older sister in the hospital took on the Momobami (桃喰) clan and lost in an everything or nothing gamble, what Jabami took away from it was an addiction to the act of gambling itself. Even if she somehow wins the election (having already returned things to what they were by deliberately frittering away her auction proceeds in gambles with her classmates) I don't think she's doing it for revenge. Just taking part in an interesting gamble and coming away satisfied to participate in future ones whatever the stakes appears to be enough for her.

The adaptation stops here, but there's plenty more storyline left to cover. The election is still ongoing, and the last scene between Ririka and the St. Bernard toting Momogami scion could easily form the starting point of part 2 of the election adaptation. Even if it is planned (and no reason why not since the source material is still going strong), I don't think it's going to be airing anytime soon if the gap between the first and second seasons is any indication.

As one of the few recent examples of gambling animation, the series does its job well with its peculiar focus on different gambles with psychological elements and an overwhelming bias towards ladies as the premier practitioners of the gambling habit. Nothing wrong with the latter as it makes things different and there are advantages in using that to tell the overarching story. If there is a future adaptation, I'll be looking forward to watching it to see how the election eventually finished.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:35 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (finale)

So that is the end of the second season. Finding out about the mysterious girl dressed as a boy that was pushed around by the clan, and some of Yumeko's past with an older relative, who inspired said girl. I am not entirely sure what was bet in the final match, I thought Yumeko was betting both money and her name as to adopt the other. Not sure what was actually lost at the end, since she looked I guess better in the end, for some reason with the president.

While I would say the second season was a worthy sequel, it kind of felt like it was missing the shocking bite that the first season had. We were mostly used to Yumeko at this point, it felt like we needed some dramatic and crazy thing to happen, and hopefully with crazy sexual faces. Not enough of that this time, at most maybe crazy when the president jumped out of the door too after the vice president, showing something more to her, it was kind of hinted towards the end of the first season. But again, I am not entirely sure what was actually won or lost in that match, as far as I can tell no memories were taken, and the vice president is still next to the president, this despite Yumeko betting her reason of living, gambling. It is another thing about high stakes, but it feels like a good part of this second season had any such high stakes replaced with votes to win the election, which were not presented well enough to explain how big deal they are. Not the life altering stuff of the first season.

I give a rating of Good (7/10),worth watching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3