• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Happened To The "Watch This Program In A Well-Lit Room" Warnings?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Puniyo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:33 am Reply with quote
Huh, so that's why simulcast anime does that annoying dimming thing.
From the top of my head, Smile Precure/Glitter Force, Chaos Dragon, and Ore, Twin Tail ni Narimasu does it. I'm sure other series do, but those ones stick out as being particularly distracting.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:51 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I was under the impression Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul was a documentary about a dragon shifter getting involved in a war between angels, demons and humans. Thanks for clearing that up! Laughing Razz

I think the audience for the Bahamut disclaimer are the fervently religious among Amazon's customer base. Kamisama forbid that angels might be portrayed as less than noble or that demons might not be purely evil creatures. Gabriel, after all, is the angel that tells Mary she will bear the Christ child according to the New Testament. In Bahamut Gabriel is a schemer with more interest in preserving the angels' prerogatives and focused on getting mankind to worship them again.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:39 am Reply with quote
PannenkoekenNL wrote:
"4Kids did dub that episode (and slowed down the flashing to make sure it wouldn't cause a problem) but Nintendo insisted that it not be released again."

There's no evidence for that....

true enough. i have yet to see ANY proof that they did dubbed the electric solider porygon episode considering that the other infamous episodes werent dubbed AT ALL!!!!!!!

even more so its impossible to even find out since the big N have done their damnest to try to erase its existence even though i have seen it online back in 1999 via a fansub website and i never had any of those side effects. and i would bet that if it was shown at its fullest today, there wouldnt be an massive seizure outbreak at all considering on how television was shown in the 90's. hell that scene is still on youtube right now and so far there have been no incidents of anyone getting a seizure so it is definitely more or less a certain my theory have some merrit of sorts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
@leafy You can still sue people, even if they say out front that they didn´t mean it. GTA, Hatred (remember that one kids?) and so on don´t try to save the adult too, while Persona 5 gives you a game over if you don´t acknowledge that the game you play is fictitious in the first minute.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:17 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
true enough. i have yet to see ANY proof that they did dubbed the electric solider porygon episode considering that the other infamous episodes werent dubbed AT ALL!!!!!!!

A few people have posted firsthand accounts of the episode getting dubbed, though no evidence there was a complete dub.

residentgrigo wrote:
@leafy You can still sue people, even if they say out front that they didn´t mean it. GTA, Hatred (remember that one kids?) and so on don´t try to save the adult too, while Persona 5 gives you a game over if you don´t acknowledge that the game you play is fictitious in the first minute.

Yes, it doesn't outright prevent people from suing, but the company gets the advantage, which is a good deterrent. The company can say that they've already warned the player with the disclaimer.

That's why you see warnings for things that should be stupidly obvious, like cups of coffee that read that contents are hot, or jars of peanut butter that say they contain peanuts: If some idiot winds up in the hospital and decides they'll take the matter to court, the creators can use that warning label to say, "No, they were warned about it and ignored the warning."

Without those warnings, these companies are a LOT more vulnerable to these people, or worse, people who intentionally launch something frivolous to get some easy money from them.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know where I can watch that Pokemon episode? When he mentioned " It hasn't seen the light of day since", did he mean home video format? because I think we can just find it anywhere online now.
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote
@ CANimeFan88

Its out in the wilds of the internet, but not in any official releases as far as I can recall.

This story takes me back. First time hearing of Pokemon and being fascinated with the story. What they do now with the warnings is fair.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Shar Aznabull wrote:
I wonder if that dubbed episode will ever leak out onto the internet.

I hope so. They have even more at least partly dubbed episodes of episodes that were never broadcasted (even in japan) like the Team Rocket VS Team Plasma special, so it would be nice if these eps would find their way onto the internet someday.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
You know what they can get rid off? The don´t be offended by it or imitate this game "warning screens", because it was programmed by people of different nationalities believes and so on. Nearly all M-rated Ubi games are burned with them by now and Persona 5 somehow has one too. The game has talking cat on the cover and is a fantasy game! Unbelievable.

There's actually a story reason why agreeing to that disclaimer prior to starting up a new Persona 5 game exists, but going into that would be really heavy story spoilers.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:
You know what they can get rid off? The don´t be offended by it or imitate this game "warning screens", because it was programmed by people of different nationalities believes and so on. Nearly all M-rated Ubi games are burned with them by now and Persona 5 somehow has one too. The game has talking cat on the cover and is a fantasy game! Unbelievable.

There's actually a story reason why agreeing to that disclaimer prior to starting up a new Persona 5 game exists, but going into that would be really heavy story spoilers.

Without also going into plot spoilers, let's say P5 is a.....LITTLE heavy into the "Youth rebellion" and "Never trust anyone over 30" mentality/pandering than even P3 ever dreamed, let alone P4.

Some of the adult-blaming dialogue may be as panderingly giggle-worthy as anything in "The Breakfast Club", but at least that didn't depict the students as becoming trendy avenging media heroes in Tokyo headlines--Especially to make the game company worry about real-life fan copycats who might take the pandering a little too much to heart.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote
There was a 12/something/1997 article in Time magazine about the infamous Pokemon flash. That might have been 1 of the 1st times many Americans heard about the show before it would debut the following August.
Fruit-Cup

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:19 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

But I'm pretty sure I noticed these warnings as recently as the last Gintama series (which I think was aired after midnight in Japan), so it hasn't completely gone the way of the Dodo.

Yea Gintamas been doing them for as long as I can remember, including most recent season.
peno

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:53 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
There was a 12/something/1997 article in Time magazine about the infamous Pokemon flash. That might have been 1 of the 1st times many Americans heard about the show before it would debut the following August.

That reminded me that I saw report of this in TV news in late 1997 on the very same TV channel that eventually started to air Pokémon anime here in September 2000. And if I remember correctly, the report mentioned something like "we would never air such a thing". Oh, the irony Very Happy
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
I'm sure I heard it said somewhere that they replayed the offending sequence on the news the next day and caused a new rash of incidents and that there had been a similar incident a year earlier that wasn't reported on as heavily.

Oh, I remember - I think it was somewhere in this panel where they also play a clip of the Simpson's parody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BevPFBmOdig

Wikipedia reports the same via CDD, and identifies the other show as YAT Anshin! Uchū Ryokō.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:23 am Reply with quote
I get massive headaches when I watch classic Sailor Moon, and I actually DO have photosensitive epilepsy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4