Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Restaurant to Another World Anime's English Dub Cast


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Kadmos1



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 12480
Location: In Phoenix but has an 85308 ZIP
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:00 am Reply with quote
They had me sold with Jill Harris. I enjoyed her Fuuka.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Koda89



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 276
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:23 am Reply with quote
I was looking forward to this dub until I saw Jamie Marchi is the writer.

Thanks to the quite considerable liberties she took with Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, I'm avoiding every dub she writes going forward like the plague. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AmpedForAnime



Joined: 28 Jun 2017
Posts: 38
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:52 am Reply with quote
Stop. My hype can only get so erect. You had me at Stephanie Young.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Raebo101



Joined: 17 Mar 2010
Posts: 737
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:32 am Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:
I was looking forward to this dub until I saw Jamie Marchi is the writer.

Thanks to the quite considerable liberties she took with Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, I'm avoiding every dub she writes going forward like the plague. Laughing


Um, Alexis Tipton and Jamie Marchi worked together on last season's WorldEnd and the scripts were just fine. I love Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid as much as the next guy or girl, and nothing in her scripts got under my skin like it apparently did some people. I honestly think those people (and you) are just blowing those things out of proportion. Besides, her scripts on Yurikuma Arashi had no issues, Orange had no issues, Tokyo Ravens had no issues, Terror in Resonance had no issues, WorldEnd had no issues, The Devil is a Part-Timer had no issues, and I could say the same for many of the other scripts she's worked on.

Look, I understand being cautious, but avoiding EVERYTHING she works on means you're missing out on potentially great dubs, like this one. So, that's on you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Koda89



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 276
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:55 am Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Koda89 wrote:
I was looking forward to this dub until I saw Jamie Marchi is the writer.

Thanks to the quite considerable liberties she took with Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, I'm avoiding every dub she writes going forward like the plague. Laughing


Um, Alexis Tipton and Jamie Marchi worked together on last season's WorldEnd and the scripts were just fine. I love Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid as much as the next guy or girl, and nothing in her scripts got under my skin like it apparently did some people. I honestly think those people (and you) are just blowing those things out of proportion. Besides, her scripts on Yurikuma Arashi had no issues, Orange had no issues, Tokyo Ravens had no issues, Terror in Resonance had no issues, WorldEnd had no issues, and I could say the same for many of the other scripts she's worked on.

But you can do whatever you want, I guess.


No, the reaction to her changes are not being blown out of proportion. They were utterly pointless changes that showed a lack of understanding in the characters. The characters absolutely in no situation would have said the things she wrote them to say. I am normally someone who goes to bat for dubs, but there is no excuse for what she did and the way she behaved regarding the backlash is just straight amateur, too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Punch Drunk Marc



Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 1214
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:05 am Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:
No, the reaction to her changes are not being blown out of proportion. They were utterly pointless changes that showed a lack of understanding in the characters. The characters absolutely in no situation would have said the things she wrote them to say. I am normally someone who goes to bat for dubs, but there is no excuse for what she did and the way she behaved regarding the backlash is just straight amateur, too.


They really were blown out of proportion though. Almost hilariously so. Nothing in that script (talking Dragon Maid here) was nearly as bad as what people on social media made it seem to be. Especially not compared to the line in Prison School.

You are basing your feelings off of what YOU THINK the characters would say. How you interpret it is much different from how someone else would. I watched both tracks and thought the dub was just fine in terms of characterization.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Punch Drunk Marc



Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 1214
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:06 am Reply with quote
Jamie Marchi writing? Stephanie Young and Sabat cast? Adding that to the watchlist.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Raebo101



Joined: 17 Mar 2010
Posts: 737
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:20 am Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:
the way she behaved regarding the backlash is just straight amateur, too.


I do agree with this point, she definitely could've handled the backlash in a more professional manner. But I stand by what I said; not everything she touches are gonna turn out like Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid did (and even then, I personally don't think her scripts on Dragon Maid were that bad). I edited my response while you were responding, so I'll repeat myself: I totally understand being cautious. But Alexis Tipton and Jamie Marchi both did a really good job with WorldEnd, so you might wanna give the first episode of this dub a shot at least.


Last edited by Raebo101 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:31 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mgosdin



Joined: 17 Jul 2011
Posts: 1277
Location: Kissimmee, Florida, USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:25 am Reply with quote
As with Dragon Maid, I will be streaming this on Cruncyroll and buying the eventual physical release. When I prep them for my media server I'll decide if the dub is good or not, not hard to turn it off.

Nice thing is, I'm getting to where I don't need the subs much.

Mark Gosdin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Snakebit1995



Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 842
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:35 am Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Koda89 wrote:
the way she behaved regarding the backlash is just straight amateur, too.


I do agree with this point, she definitely could've handled the backlash in a more professional manner. But I stand by what I said; not everything she touches are gonna turn out like Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid did (and even then, I personally don't think her scripts on Dragon Maid were that bad). I edited my response while you were responding, so I'll repeat myself: I totally understand being cautious. But Alexis Tipton and Jamie Marchi did a really good job with WorldEnd, so you might wanna give the first episode of this dub a shot at least.


The one thing I find equally shocking is that a year ago if you told people Jamie was going to write a dub script they'd start to fall in love with it before seeing episode one. Yet after two questionable line choices in one series she's suddenly the devil. (The one in episode one I think was just trying to make a conversation flow better in English and the later one I still think was just a joke attempt that fell flat.) People have seriously made way, WAY, too much out of the Dragon Maid dub thing. Is it an issue, I guess that's up to each individual to judge based on seeing both scenes.

Lots of writers or directors have a series or choice they'd like to take back, and that's not just in dubs but in film making, TV, music, etc. Not everything a person does has to be perfect, and I can't help but wonder if the reason people came down on Jamie so hard for this is because she had such a stellar track record of good scripts in the past. I'm actually a little surprised she's not the one writing Gal Girlfriend this season.

I hate that every dub thread these days whether it be here or r/anime suddenly devolves into criticism and arguing about one or two lines from one or two shows. I miss the good old days of dub script controversies when all we did was complain J. Michael Tatum was being to verbose with dialog.

Still this cast looks good, I already love Stephanie Young getting to play another Mature Sexy Lady and it's always fun to hear Sabat in something besides big muscle flighty guy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Koda89



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 276
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:41 am Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
As with Dragon Maid, I will be streaming this on Cruncyroll and buying the eventual physical release. When I prep them for my media server I'll decide if the dub is good or not, not hard to turn it off.

Nice thing is, I'm getting to where I don't need the subs much.

Mark Gosdin


Now that is a nice thing, indeed. Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SquadmemberRitsu



Joined: 26 Jan 2012
Posts: 1371
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:34 am Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:
No, the reaction to her changes are not being blown out of proportion.
I don't know what your intention was with this comment but when you say the reaction 'wasn't being blown out of proportion' you're implying that all the sexual harassment, people trying to get her fired and death threats she got on Twitter were justified. Which is, quite frankly, really horrible.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not aware of what went on, but you should really be more careful with your choice of words.


{Edit}: I removed your unneeded bait comment. ~ Psycho 101
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mgosdin



Joined: 17 Jul 2011
Posts: 1277
Location: Kissimmee, Florida, USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:48 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Oh God, the angry Twitter children are here. I just knew there would be at least one comment like this when I saw Jamie Marchi listed as the writer.


Repeat after me :

I swear by the Mighty ( Name of Preferred Deity ) that I will have nothing to do with ( Choose one or more, Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, or other specific BBS / Social Media Platform ) ever again.

Mark Gosdin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Koda89



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 276
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:01 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Koda89 wrote:
I was looking forward to this dub until I saw Jamie Marchi is the writer.

Thanks to the quite considerable liberties she took with Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, I'm avoiding every dub she writes going forward like the plague. Laughing
Oh God, the angry Twitter children are here. I just knew there would be at least one comment like this when I saw Jamie Marchi listed as the writer.

Koda89 wrote:
No, the reaction to her changes are not being blown out of proportion.
I don't know what your intention was with this comment but when you say the reaction 'wasn't being blown out of proportion' you're implying that all the sexual harassment, people trying to get her fired and death threats she got on Twitter were justified. Which is, quite frankly, really horrible.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not aware of what went on, but you should really be more careful with your choice of words.


I was thinking it should go without saying that I wasn't including the jackasses. I was only talking about the people making the justified criticisms. The harassment jagoffs are people that should never be paid mind to. Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lycopene



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Posts: 87
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:10 am Reply with quote
I think the simplest solution here is to wait for Rebecca's review on the first dubbed ep. if things play out like last season, her first ep preview will be moved to the top in the preview guide and have an additional paragraph that talks about the simuldub. or you could just simply wait for social media to blow up.

Though, considering its not a comedy, I think this one is fine. Maybe a few bizarre colloquialisms once in awhile, but likely nothing as serious as completely changing the script
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group