• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'It' Remake's Director Andy Muschietti to Develop Live-Action Robotech Project

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wohdin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:57 am Reply with quote
please no

the only thing that would be worse than the shitshow that is Harmony Gold's "adaptation" of Robotech would be a live action adaptation of that

make it stop
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:00 am Reply with quote
It's been over a year since the last significant news. The popular Justin Lin dropped the project to work on Aquaman and other projects (speaks volumes right there that there is problems with the production). This new director is almost completely unknown. And on top of all if it, Sony Pictures who lost $719 million this year, is on the verge of bankruptcy, Which means if the Robotech movie does go into production, it's surely going be a disaster and add to the list of failed adaptations.

Personally, I'm crossing my fingers it does fail. Because it was WRONG for Harmony Gold to steal from the Macross creators! This should be a Macross movie, with the Japanese owners at the helm!
SuiSeiKen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:18 am Reply with quote
They want to do a "Macross" movie of that Robotech shit, but they cannot use the big part of its success : original mecha design and transformations Laughing

(They can use it only for goodies like figures and comics)

So yeah, thanks God, that movie will never come.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:56 am Reply with quote
Wan would have been the man but sure, whatever. Muschietti´s Mama is alright and IT looks fine so far. Macross is about as good a project for a US Blockbuster as you can get, due to the basic story being Top Gun with an even worse romance. Proceed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:02 am Reply with quote
Now that I think of it, there was a Robotech panel on the schedule for AX (no, I didn't go… I have some pride), and I didn't hear a peep from anyone on Twitter who went to it. Maybe nobody did?

Does anyone get the feeling that these occasional stop-and-start actions are just some sort of legal maneuvering to keep their rights and licenses viable, and aren't intended to ever go into production?
MadHi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:32 am Reply with quote
I have little (if any) faith in Hollywood's adaptations of anime, but my faith here non-existent partially due to the fact that this is a Robotech movie instead of Macross. I get the nostalgia behind it but I don't understand why no one embraced the ADV rerelease (with subs and a redub) while complaining about anime in general being tampered with for localization.
TymersRealm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:56 am Reply with quote
MadHi wrote:
I have little (if any) faith in Hollywood's adaptations of anime, but my faith here non-existent partially due to the fact that this is a Robotech movie instead of Macross. I get the nostalgia behind it but I don't understand why no one embraced the ADV rerelease (with subs and a redub) while complaining about anime in general being tampered with for localization.

I actually own the ADV release of Macross. I liked it.
I had never herd Macross in the original Japanese and the English dub is decent enough.

As to everything else...
Speaking as someone who saw Robotech when it first aired back in the day, it was something that really hadn't been seen on US TV at that time. Now I do have to give HG & Macek their due. Robotech actually was a piece of its time.
Unfortunately, HG is still looking at what it can milk out of the IP mess it has. And this is speaking as a Battletech fan/player (then again the new "Classic"s of the Macross-style Mechs rock).
Could a live-action Robotech film work? Maybe, maybe not.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:24 am Reply with quote
MadHi wrote:

Here's the problem: Macross is explicitly about the Zentradi who are giant humanoid aliens who can shrink or be shrunk or whatever is convenient to the plot. That is silly. I've watched Robotech but never bothered that much with Macross because it's just too ridiculous by itself.

Robotech is about various alien enemies among whom are the Zentradi, giant aliens so on. There's a lot more potential here for it not being silly. I'm not saying good or bad but nothing on the level of "6 foot man hooks up with 15 foot tall woman and they have a kid because... by... somehow... magic!"

That kid is the next main character of Robotech so it has to be accepted but Macross itself seems rather embarrassed by it. All of the Zentradi really. What I imagine one long breakdown in the writers room midway through the series was like: "They're big, what were we thinking, they need to be shrunk to be put in the same frame as the humans. Let's shrink them. Gah, why were they big in the first place? I need a drink!"

And thus micronization was born, not to cut down on supplies but because it's the first step giant green skinned aliens need to take in order to pass for humans.

Like I said, silly.
msgundam2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:09 am Reply with quote
Just let Robotech die already so we can have official English Macross releases.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:04 am Reply with quote
Robotech news always brings out the usual suspects.

Harmony Gold didn't steal Macross.

If you owned the rights to Robotech, you too wouldn't listen to a bunch of purist fans demanding you give your product up.

Hopefully this is a significant move, and not more development hell that goes nowhere.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:12 am Reply with quote
I stop caring.

Harmony Gold continues to troll it's fandom. From the RPG games to it's legacy anime it chopped up and made it good before it's leadership went bad.

Sony will likely try bandaid everything.

Too bad the live project killed Shadow Chronicles potential animated sequels.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Does anyone get the feeling that these occasional stop-and-start actions are just some sort of legal maneuvering to keep their rights and licenses viable, and aren't intended to ever go into production?

On Harmony Gold's end, most definitely!! With the movie in production, it appeases the legal end of things that they are maintaining the license. So if the movie is completed and even if it does horribly, they can maintain the stranglehold on Macross in America. But if the movie fails to be completed, Harmony Gold will have to take drastic measures or lose their "rights".

And if that happens, we all know what that means!!! Macross could finally make it to the US, unopposed! Booyeah!

TymersRealm wrote:
Could a live-action Robotech film work? Maybe, maybe not.

I honestly think it can work, providing you get the right people involved. Sci Fi is still big, space dogfights is still good thanks to Star Wars, and Hollywood does have a thing for musicals. The trick is meshing those aspects into a convincing storyline and directed by people who truly loves the series, not some posers who has no idea what Macross is or how the story flows.

TarsTarkas wrote:

Extending the rights far beyond it's original means, by declaring anything Macross falls under their rights when it was only for the original Macross? Especially in the International Market, when the agreement for American distribution? Filing trademarks in 2003 within the US, declaring Macross their property? Especially the parts of Macross owned by Nue and Big West, whom they didn't have an license agreement with? Or how about making a Live Action movie where the original creators aren't getting a single cent of the profits?

Yeah, that's not theft! Rolling Eyes
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:09 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Robotech news always brings out the usual suspects.

If you owned the rights to Robotech, you too wouldn't listen to a bunch of purist fans demanding you give your product up.

Hopefully this is a significant move, and not more development hell that goes nowhere.

"stealing" or not,Robotech and Harmony Gold's reasons to exist these days is to purely cockblock the Macross franchise in the west,so yeah,fudge them.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
This thing is the Hope Diamond of Hollywood. Everyone who touches it gets dragged into a malaise before dropping out.
SuiSeiKen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Yeah, they just trademarked it worldwide when they realized that Japanese companies were making more toys and sequels, (still) acting like it was their creation. They even tried to trademark Macross in Japan Laughing

Sure, it was legal, Japanese creators had to do it before. But morally highly dubious.

invalidname wrote:

Indeed.

Furthermore, I think they're really afraid of the original Macross. Releasing its numerous sequels worldwide would probably nearly kill their Robotech thing. So I bet they do all they can to avoid this. Like they said back in 2003 when a French editor wanted to release the Japanese SDF Macross in DVD : “Robotech is the western version of Macross, we didn’t want you to release anything else”. Well, that box was still released to bother them Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3