• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gamers!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SleepySkull

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:47 pm Reply with quote
If this anime keeps going like this, it's going to join KonoSuba on my short list of favorite comedies. I think it will because in addition to all the jokes there's been an impressive level of craft shown -- I'd be greatly surprised if they dropped the ball now. For example, I love that they've brought us full circle to the opening scene of the series (including some asterisks hinting at disasters to come). Indeed, I wouldn't be that surprised if they found a clever way to showcase a similar tableau for the end of the season as well.
EmpyreanBlaze

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
These gamers sure are playing games alright... The Game of Life or some (bad?) dating sim.

OK, the relationship drama is nothing new, but I do wonder when this will all end and some actual (virtual) gaming takes over.

Actually na. Might get old, but this is the show's identity now.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Come for the comedy/slice of life about gamers, stay for the relation drama.

Seriously I can't remember the last time I was so into a rom com, I'm not even quite sure why I like this so much. I guess it just come down to writing and good character.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I think that an interesting distinction is that this show is not actually about games, but about "gamers". And really, a game actually kind of pivotal role in how it was on his mind and made him blurt out the asking out bit. His bad for life experiences game thing made him actually do better than we would have expected.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:39 am Reply with quote
Well they're clearly doing something right. Most of this episode I admit to having some trouble following all their panicked scenarios, but it didn't even matter. I was still laughing because their facial expressions, sweat flops and demonic chortles still conveyed the gist of what each person was thinking. While Karen was walking down the hallway planning all her possible options for calm reactions, I was already thinking, "Yeah, that's not gonna happen." Smile

This series is kinda like a long form Tsuredure Children on meth.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:24 am Reply with quote
Those eternal "romcom misundertstandings" can get real old real fast, but being able to see everything from all the different perspectives, made it pretty hilarious. I especially liked the contrast between Keita's "oh, everybody is here to support me! I'm so happy to have such good friends!" to everyone elses over-the top and increasingly panicked thoughts. Laughing

Bonus points for Chiaki who - even though claiming to hate Keita's gut -, feels enough "geek solidarity" for him to want to save him from being played.

I also expected more actual gaming content from a show with this title, but as long as it keeps to be entertaining like that, i'm not complaining.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:01 am Reply with quote
The Capcom helicopters comment in episode 6 was hilarious! Helicopters are always getting wrecked in Resident Evil games ROFL! The Konami code was in there too ha ha!
SleepySkull

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Paul Jensen wrote:
Admittedly, this comedic maelstrom does come with some collateral damage. The show's gaming content, along with its social insights, mostly fall by the wayside in this episode.

I've got to throw a flag on this comment in the review, primarily because it seems to miss the point of the show -- which has been evident since the opening scene of the first episode. DuskyPredator has it exactly right: this is a show about gamers, not games. Or more specifically, how gamers relate to games in contrast to how they relate to real world relationships.

It's easy to see the opening number's visuals as a celebration of video games, if you ignore that it begins and ends with the main characters. And ignore that the video game images are a parade of Keita's avatars dying at the hands of the other characters. (I still get a chuckle every time from Demon Lord Tasuku, but I'll admit I didn't spot Chiaki's victory until I went looking for it.) Keita the unworthy squid flailing before a 16-bit Karen boss might not be obvious but his being stumped when faced by Dating Sim Karen really hammers the theme. As does the highres team assault on the rock giant followed by the close ups of Keita's and Karen's feet awkwardly walking toward each other.
Quote:
Scenes that initially seem self-contained, like Karen's chat with her club members

Well, that's 1) not exactly what we saw, and 2) another illustration of the overarching theme. Karen only chats with a single member: Misumi-kun, who's most notable as having little experience with video games and actually trying to act like a friend to Karen. The two senpais seem oblivious to the chatting. Kase has the excuse of wearing headphones, but Niina doesn't. Yet she shows no sign of interest in Karen's problems. This puts the Niina-Karen conversation of a previous episode in a different light, showing that Niina, like Kase, is only interested in Karen's performance as a member of the game club. It's telling that Aguri and Tasuku -- the only characters with actual relationship experience -- are the ones to lecture Keita on the silliness of confusing dating sims with reality. Karen's senpais, in contrast, seem tragically unmotivated and ill-equipped to mentor her in real life matters. If that's not a "social insight" I don't know what is.
chaccide

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I guess I was the only one annoyed by this episode. The animation itself was absolutely terrible. I could barely stand to watch the scenes in the restaurant, the bodies were so off model. Then their agonizing over everything dragged on and on and on to the point where I just didn't want to hear any more of it. The final scene where they're finally confronting each other was very funny but everything that came before that was just painful for me to watch.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:25 am Reply with quote
I watched the first episode of this and saw the PAPA '16 trophy on the club's trophy shelf. I wonder if they'll ever get into that. I think this is the first time the Professional & Amateur Pinball Association's ever gotten a direct mention in an anime (well, graphically altered to get around trademarks), and I'd love to see competitive pinball get covered in an anime.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

I used to be a gamer, then I took a dart to the knee...and a cue ball to the face.

Though I'm not particularly germophobic, rental bowling shoes are kinda squicky to me, but I can do it. But I don't think I could ever be on board for rental swimsuits. Though they apparently had some nice offerings.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit disappointed that we're still in the misunderstanding phase of things, it does feel like last week development was kinda pointless and it's a bit too much cliche.

Otherwise a question that I still have is why exactly does Keita even like in Kairen? He like that she's dedicated, but that apply to plenty of people.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I used to be a gamer, then I took a dart to the knee...and a cue ball to the face.

"What's the matter? You can't stand the sight of a strong gamer girl?"
If you start quoting Skyrim, you are going to get a response from me.

I don't know why, but I kind of felt hollow with this episode, until it started to build up speed with the date. Maybe when characters started to talk about their relationships with characters, with the character. So the Keita and Karen started to get comfortable with each other, before Chiaki seemed oblivious how touching Keita would be bad for his girlfriend. But it worked out in the end.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:26 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
So the Keita and Karen started to get comfortable with each other, before Chiaki seemed oblivious how touching Keita would be bad for his girlfriend.

To be fair to Chiaki, she thought Keita and Karen's relationship is just a facade, though even in that case they would still need to keep up appearances, as Chiaki "understood".
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:17 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
If you start quoting Skyrim, you are going to get a response from me.

I've never played Skyrim, only know the meme, which was the first thing I thought of when I saw the dart in his knee. Smile So I don't know the actual quote you adapted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7