• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Mari Okada Went From Shut-In to Anime Director

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheCanipaEffect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I think some of you are missing a large part of the article. Mari Okada is a screenwriter, but in anime, this rarely means she actually had a significant input on the story. Most of the time, an original story is decided by the director and in adaptations the director will decide the approach. The screenwriter's job is to figure out how to approach that within a script.

But what makes Mari Okada unique is that she's flourished when given opportunities to actually write her own stories. And the only shows she claims authorship of are Anohana, Anthem of the Heart and parts of Hanasaku Iroha. IBO, Black Rock Shooter, Kiznaiver, Mayoiga, etc. etc. etc. were examples of her putting other people's ideas to paper with her own quirks.

Anime is in a situation where there is a shortage of screenwriters overall. It's not uncommom for a writer to be credited to more than 2 shows at once. They're nothing like showrunners on Western TV where the writer is the boss. So since all these writers are too busy managing scripts for several projects, you can't expect any large amount of narrative input.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of most of Okada's work, I was very curious to read her autobiography, while knowing it will probably never be translated and released outside of Japan. This article ended up being the next best thing, so thank you, Kim, for summing it up for us.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:

Notably, the things I haven't seen are all the ones that she is most praised for, namely Hana-Saku Iroha, anohana, and Simoun, so...I oughta fix that sometime, and maybe I'll better understand her popularity. There are certainly writers/artists/directors who I might have different opinions on if I'd seen their worst stuff first, after all.

Hanasaku Iroha is her magnum opus, as far as I'm concerned. And I also think it's probably her most accessible work. The melodrama that people associate with her stuff is a lot more toned down throughout the series.
Also, for what it's worth, the stuff you've seen "by her" mostly isn't really by her. Those were much more collaborative works that she just happened to have a hand in. It was mentioned in the article that Gundam IBO was in production for a few years before she was even on board and the majority of core ideas were from Nagai, not her, for example.

Last edited by relyat08 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
TheCanipaEffect wrote:
Anime is in a situation where there is a shortage of screenwriters overall. It's not uncommom for a writer to be credited to more than 2 shows at once. They're nothing like showrunners on Western TV where the writer is the boss. So since all these writers are too busy managing scripts for several projects, you can't expect any large amount of narrative input.
Sounds like they don't have too many writers, I find American shows have way too many writers. It's why whenever they remake a comedy from the UK, they always have so many more episodes, because where the original was written by 2 people, the remake has an entire team of writers.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:19 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
lololol that cute little loli keeps saying "anal". By the way this is actually a pretty typical "Okada-ism".

It's funny when little kids say inappropriate things (in fact, that's basically the main premise of the first few volumes of the Shin-chan manga).

It's also funny when people are embarrassed about some aspect of their younger selves (it's the entire point of parents breaking out the baby pictures and showing them to their kids' significant others).

It's also funny when people's names or nicknames have unintended sexual meanings (I knew that Bulma's name meant "breasts" years before I ever saw an episode of Dragonball Z).

I'm not sure why you think that any of these elements could be deemed "Okada-isms" when they are so prevalent throughout both US and Japanese media... but then again I'm also not really sure why you think that her works are plagued by sexual name puns (for example, the weirdest name I can think of in IBO is "Biscuit", which is basically a name you'd give a dog), or why you refer to the character as a loli (her character design hits a lot of otaku buttons, but none of them are "underdeveloped for her age" or "sexualized child").
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
It's funny when little kids say inappropriate things (in fact, that's basically the main premise of the first few volumes of the Shin-chan manga).

It's also funny when people are embarrassed about some aspect of their younger selves (it's the entire point of parents breaking out the baby pictures and showing them to their kids' significant others).

It's also funny when people's names or nicknames have unintended sexual meanings (I knew that Bulma's name meant "breasts" years before I ever saw an episode of Dragonball Z).

And this is where individual taste comes into the picture. I also find these things funny when presented in certain ways, but a cute teenager girl having "Anal" as her embarrassing childhood nickname, and the anime making other characters (especially an even younger-looking, very innocent girl) calling her by that name just so she can get embarrassed, is just so incredibly on the nose and tryhard that I find it irritating and not funny at all.

(Btw, Bulma's name means "bloomers", not breasts. It's also not something that I find particularly funny, but unlike AnoHana Dragon Ball doesn't go out of its way to beat me over the head with how funny I should be thinking it is. It's just there, Bulma is not having cutely embarrassed reactions whenever someone is calling her name. You can take the joke or leave it.)

I'm not sure why you think that any of these elements could be deemed "Okada-isms"

It's the "girl named Anal" part that is the Okada-ism, not the sexual pun nicknames per se but the overall attitude that results in this sort of thing. If someone finds these funny more power to them, but I can't for my life find her sense of humor funny. (And I'm someone who enjoys stuff like Detroit Metal City and Yondemasu yo Azazel-san, whatever that says about my sense of humor.)

or why you refer to the character as a loli (her character design hits a lot of otaku buttons, but none of them are "underdeveloped for her age" or "sexualized child").

Yeah, I'm sure that the show going out of its way to show the main character being embarrassed at feeling her breasts against his back was meant to be completely innocent. Also, she's exactly the kind of character that tends to be regarded as a loli, and I was satirifally channeling writer intention/fan reaction.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
And this is where individual taste comes into the picture.

Yeah, I probably should have said something like "people find them funny"; I'm not a big fan of embarrassment-based humor myself, but I recognize it when I see it, and it's hard for me to fault Okada for doing something that feels so ubiquitous at this point.

SHD wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure that the show going out of its way to show the main character being embarrassed at feeling her breasts against his back was meant to be completely innocent. Also, she's exactly the kind of character that tends to be regarded as a loli, and I was satirifally channeling writer intention/fan reaction.

Ah, I get that, I just sort of knee-jerk react to the term "loli" being thrown around to describe children in anime. Then again, it's been a while since I've seen AnoHana, so you'll have to forgive me if I'm not remembering the fanservice-y bits quite right.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting read. I'm a huge Mari Okada fan and I look forward to her directorial debut and hopefully other director work beyond. I wish her the very best in what I hope will be a long career.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I always thought Okada was like an alien who inexplicably got a job as an anime writer despite never having met a human before. Yes, she's really talented in many respects, and she does have many worthwhile ideas. Yet her insight into people - and especially their emotions - is fundamentally compromised, with anohana's infamous cry-session being a classic example.

I've always wondered what kind of person she actually was, so this article did clear up a lot. Her broken home life and chronic truancy from school explains her inability to understand other people. Meanwhile, the way she passed her entrance exams on her own speaks to a high intelligence and strong self-motivation.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I probably should have said something like "people find them funny"; I'm not a big fan of embarrassment-based humor myself, but I recognize it when I see it, and it's hard for me to fault Okada for doing something that feels so ubiquitous at this point.

I can only speak for myself, but as far as I'm concerned it's not just really the embarrassment factor - it's the whole idea that this is funny because it's a young girl who has a nickname that sounds very crude and sexual, and it's another young girl, one who is presented as very innocent, that keeps saying it to her over and over again, to make her embarrassed. It just leaves me with a really bitter aftertaste. It would be one thing if this was a comedy show that regularly utilizes crude humor, but it isn't.

Last edited by SHD on Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
An excellent and eye-opening article.

I must say though, while it’s given me a lot more respect towards the effort put into getting where she is today, it also cements why I’ve struggled with much of Okada's output. I’ve often found her portrayal of characters seem to come from a very idealised place, where all emotions are loud & external, & every pairing (male & female at least) seem to have the same ability to fall in love, so long as the right criteria (usually any sense of kindness) has been met.

Reading through this, Okada strikes me as someone still trying to come to terms with the pain of her youth/past connections with people through the types of fantastical, almost gamified means that anime and media allows. I can definitely understand why her works often prove big hits with otaku audiences. Her adaptive approach seems to appeal to the desire for a simplified world, where spectacular grandstanding and outbursts are rewarded in a way that often happens in light fiction. I guess she’s still seems to be one of them deep down, or at the very least able to channel similar sensibilities, even if I personally often find the result more pandering than therapeutic.

Of course knowing her backstory makes the bitter, almost judgemental or mocking attitudes that creep in around the corners in certain works (BRS, Kiznaiver, Anohana) make a lot more sense. I’m not even sure they’re intentional after reading this or whether a slight element of frustration subconsciously leaks out from time to time. Reading through the article, I can almost imagine her as a real life Tomoko Kuroki, albeit a version of one who’s managed to get past their crippling anxiety and able to function property in society but has never quite (& likely never will) let go of the sense of anger and pain, even when channelling it into more positive and easy to understand stories for people to find comfort in. I appreciate her efforts, but I’d probably never trust her with a story requiring as much empathy as, say, SNAFU, and expect it to resonate with me.

Her scriptwriting approach might not generally be my thing, but she has worked on several shows I’ve greatly appreciated (Simoun, Wandering Son, EVOL), while if the difference in quality between Ano Hana & Anthem is anything to go by, is clearly becoming stronger as a writer. I’m definitely interested to see how Sayonara no Asa comes out.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When her mother watched Hana-Saku Iroha, she never saw herself in Ohana's mother at all. The only thing she said about the character to Okada was, “That mother is a mess.” She had missed the point entirely.

I wonder if it wasn't Okada who missed the point. It sounds like communication between mother and daughter (or Okada and anyone) wasn't exactly open. Her mother may well have recognized herself in the character, and that was her terse way of indirectly acknowledging her sins.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:00 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
It's the "girl named Anal" part that is the Okada-ism, not the sexual pun nicknames per se but the overall attitude that results in this sort of thing.

Simply no. I would say that this example and the example of Menma embarrassing Jinta by pressing herself against him are Okada falling back on common tropes. For the sexual pun it's precisely because it's said by an unaware child (Menma still mentally a child, Naruko now grown up enough to understand the unfortunate pun) that makes it tropy otherwise Menma wouldn't say it.

Okada does have "Okada-ism" in her writing, but these are not some of them.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Holy crap, that had to have been traumatizing for a middle schooler to experience. I know there have been countless stories about parents murdering their children in the media, but just imagine coming home one day and having either parent say that and try to kill you. Horrifying.

Generally they don't, they just go which is occasionally why they're successful unfortunately..
merr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
When her mother watched Hana-Saku Iroha, she never saw herself in Ohana's mother at all. The only thing she said about the character to Okada was, “That mother is a mess.” She had missed the point entirely.

I wonder if it wasn't Okada who missed the point. It sounds like communication between mother and daughter (or Okada and anyone) wasn't exactly open. Her mother may well have recognized herself in the character, and that was her terse way of indirectly acknowledging her sins.

I wouldn't be surprised. Okada isn't exactly known for her grasp of subtlety.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4