• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What is the "Absolute Territory"?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:33 pm Reply with quote
ZR is a blessing upon this world.

It doesn't really apply to just socks below the knee either. Much like how ZR isn't short socks and a skirt. The lower leg is not in the equation.

I like comparing some things in culture to other things. What is more interesting than a tea cup? a tea cup with a chip in it. What's better than a well dressed lower section of a character? Why, something not entirely covered up. Suddenly it is interesting! You could have a character covered up, including the head, but reveal the ZR and suddenly, bam. From a design perspective you're drawing upon the idea of an unequal design. That's why a full skirt and a sock with no ZR just isn't as appealing. You can 'attempt' ZR on the arms...but the arms just aren't interesting territory. ZR is appealing without being sexual.

ZR is the Best Friend of mankind.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote
myskaros, thanks.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:44 pm Reply with quote
While I do like legs, I'm not actually interested in ZR. While from a design perspective, it is interesting and I do notice it and I get it conceptually, it never really was appealing in that way for me. There are just more interesting hosiery in my mind. I don't find it disagreeable but I don't really see it much differently than non-otaku.
devoninacoffin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:58 pm Reply with quote
The first time I saw ZR was actually in an outfit worn by Ashley Banks from Fresh Prince of Bel Air. It was a preppy styled outfit with red and black as the main theme. I thought it was cute even though I was a kid and have loved thigh highs since. It's kind of hilarious to me that now it's become such a fetish. I just think of it as a simple way to look pretty fashionable. That said there's plenty of other fashion items designed to emphasize legs (heels in early Victorian fashion for both men and women, for example) so it's pretty interesting this one in particular got so popular.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
The only non-Japanese piece of media I've seen that has ZR is the movie Sucker Punch.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Brutannica wrote:
I acknowledge that I could've included some pictures of men wearing ZR, but I'm not convinced the trend is prevalent enough (yet?) to mention in more detail. Also, some of the examples shown aren't technically ZR (too low). Still, pretty close.

L. Right there.
Tinpla and Lelouch do only have it on one side, I admit (though I know there are more examples in Yume100 besides Tinpla), but I do think that the boys-showing-knees things is a related fetish (blame Ciel Phantomhive?)

Anyway, there should be an article about trends in sexy boys. Rock-style idols with streaks in their hair? Idol boys being comfortable with frills and nail polish? Mecha pilots in tight suits?

The lost art of the long-haired bishounen - is Touken Ranbu bringing it back? (you have to admit, there haven't been that many popular, long-haired bishounen characters in a while... long-haired bishounen are what make anime special. The trend needs to come back...
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Huh. No wonder I always found Rin's legs to be rather attractive...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:17 am Reply with quote
Brutannica wrote:
Red hair is commonly associated with "fiery," assertive people, so Action Girls tend to have it more often. There might be fodder here for another article, actually - I've noticed a trend of red-haired Action Girls in fantasy series, both male- and female-oriented.

That's true. There's the TV Tropes page for that too, called Fiery Redhead. I suppose pink is a close enough shade.

Top Gun wrote:
I'm either an old fart or far more of a normie than I'd expect, because man I just do not get this thing at all.

Yeah, I've always found the concept to be pretty odd. Certainly, it is not universal in its appeal either and seems to be mostly centered around east Asia. It'd be interesting if anyone has studied this phenomenon, why it appeals to people in some places, and why it doesn't in some others.

Joe Carpenter wrote:
The only non-Japanese piece of media I've seen that has ZR is the movie Sucker Punch.

A lot of the Disney Channel live-action sitcoms also put their female leads in combinations of short skirts and socks, though the socks typically only go up to about halfway up the shins or just below the knees. Someone at the Disney Channel's wardrobe department seems to be a fan of C- and D-grade zettai ryouiki.

Some versions of Supergirl and Starfire also have them, though they more often wear thigh-high boots rather than socks. Do those count? There are definitely examples in the article itself, such as Hatsune Miku.
Yarrowia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:48 am Reply with quote
The part about real-life ZR is wrong IMO.
ZR IS common in Japan, and it's not really seen as sexy outside of the otaku community. Like miniskirts and school uniforms, it's considered cute and associated with youth.
It's not rare at all to see little girls or teens with mini skirts and thigh-high stockings, often with cute designs. It's almost the official outfit for girls going to Disneyland, It's just meant to be cute, and I don't think a lot of Japanese girls actively try to look "sexy". You could spend 10 days in Tokyo without seeing one bit of cleavage.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:20 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Brutannica wrote:
Red hair is commonly associated with "fiery," assertive people, so Action Girls tend to have it more often. There might be fodder here for another article, actually - I've noticed a trend of red-haired Action Girls in fantasy series, both male- and female-oriented.

That's true. There's the TV Tropes page for that too, called Fiery Redhead. I suppose pink is a close enough shade.

Pink hair has its own trope, though, the Rose Haired Sweetie, who is also cheerful and energetic, and can still be an action girl, but tends to be more "sweet and loving" than "fiery and passionate." Or if we're talking about a pink haired ZR girl, she's probably more dere than tsun most of the time.
Random Name

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:41 am Reply with quote
Hmm this article reminded me Ange vierge card game ended support...I wonder if it will get a reboot.
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:29 am Reply with quote
Didn't even know this was a thing until this article. I can certainly see how it would be a fetish though.
lebrel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:09 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
The fantasizable isolated sections of high-school boys that high-school girls like to watch from afar for free every day, without actually going through the terror of making contact with or talking to a living breathing one, I'm afraid I'm personally unqualified to discuss.
Someone else will have to take the discussion from here. Embarassed

Judging from shoujo and J-dramas, collarbones (how do we get cute American men to wear those wide-necked shirts?) and abs, especially unintentional ab exposure of the "shirt flips up a bit" or "boy wipes his face with the hem of his t-shirt" variety. For bonus fanservice, add slightly low-slung pants that reveal a bit of hip (especially if the waistband of the pants is just a touch too large, leaving a little gap between the waistband and his slender waist), and possibly even a sliver of underwear.

(That scene from One Punch Man where Super Sonic gets his prison uniform ripped up is hilariously on point; it manages to work in collarbones, abs, AND the slightly-too-large waistband thing all at once Very Happy )

Back on the topic of stockings, knee socks of the Ciel Phantomhive variety tend to be coded as "European schoolboy", which can function as a fetish but isn't very close to ZR in tone; it's a bit closer to shotabait. Over the thigh socks/boots with shorts tends to go on more overtly feminine / girlish / uke-ish characters, who tend to get more thigh and butt focus generally.

(Yes, I am a connoisseur of girlservice, why do you ask? Smile )
Tylerr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:28 am Reply with quote
I think you're reading way too much into this.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:07 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Blanchimont wrote:
For all its prevalence in the various medias whenever fighting is involved, it'd make a pretty terrible choice of outfit for any real life theater of war. As bad as intentionally exposing your jugular vein to the enemy. Literally...

Well, that can be said for the rest of the body as well, and among both men and women. Simply put, realistic battle gear does not make for good drama (unless it's a Space Marines story or something). You can see it in how a character you're supposed to relate to will usually fight without a helmet while the cannonfodder will all be wearing them.

This is why, if I ever write an action story, I'd say that in the culture of that setting, they fight naked, like the Ancient Greeks. That way, I don't have to sacrifice fanservice for realism. Fanservice is much more important.

lebrel wrote:

Judging from shoujo and J-dramas, collarbones (how do we get cute American men to wear those wide-necked shirts?) and abs, especially unintentional ab exposure of the "shirt flips up a bit" or "boy wipes his face with the hem of his t-shirt" variety. For bonus fanservice, add slightly low-slung pants that reveal a bit of hip (especially if the waistband of the pants is just a touch too large, leaving a little gap between the waistband and his slender waist), and possibly even a sliver of underwear.

Back on the topic of stockings, knee socks of the Ciel Phantomhive variety tend to be coded as "European schoolboy", which can function as a fetish but isn't very close to ZR in tone; it's a bit closer to shotabait. Over the thigh socks/boots with shorts tends to go on more overtly feminine / girlish / uke-ish characters, who tend to get more thigh and butt focus generally.

(Yes, I am a connoisseur of girlservice, why do you ask? Smile )

I think they're sort of all uke types, though. Which is good, nothing wrong with that... but that could be why so many fans pair Atom with Shy instead of Rui... the anime clearly ships Atom/Rui, though. (also... notice... Rui's hand... on Atom's hip... <3<3<3<3 !!!! )

ahahaha I tend to just completely bypass all the little hint things and like... in my drawings, either they're fully covered in extravagant, shiny frills, or they're barely wearing anything but jewelry.

Something also must be said for OTK boots with tight pants, that accentuate the ZR area without actually showing skin. (e.g. Shy's Black Swan costume; Suzaku's Knight of Zero suit... okay, can we all just acknowledge that Suzaku's Knight of Zero suit in Code Geass is 100% fetish fuel? Those bare shoulders... and it emphasizes his legs and butt even more than his other skin-tight pilot suits... )

edit: aaaa forgot this darling

from tourabu
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4