• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa Dwango Head 'Worried' About Kemono Friends Director's Removal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparvid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:38 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
I'm not sure why anyone thought this was going to be a good idea or that it would be received positively by fans.

I guess the firing itself may possibly have "worked" if they had made an announcement themselves, along with some kind of explanation of why ("Because of creative differences..."), and what their plans are going forward ("The new director will be so-and-so... We'll be working on creating a show fans will like"). But instead they apparently fired the guy and then just sat back, letting him make it public, which of course quickly just led to a bunch of people being confused, come up with worst case scenarios and say negative stuff about the company.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:45 am Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
Probably in standard 2D instead of 3D is my guess.

The cringe-worthy but lovable 3D is one of the things that made Kemono Friends popular. It is a base breaker for quality fans but it is the visual aspect that people, whether they are KF fans or not, have known and fond of from the series. Taking that out in favor of 2D is not only going to make the next anime look dull but it will also cause an uproar among the community because of the "downgraded" quality.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:25 am Reply with quote
I don't believe that Kadokawa has any hope of saving face in this matter, what's lost is lost.

They've got the full glare of the public's spotlight on themselves and won't have any real choices other than putting the Director back in place with a profuse apology. Anything less than that will be a failure for Kadokawa.

Whoever thought that firing him was a good idea, rather than working out whatever issues their may have been, is likely to be shown the door.

Mark Gosdin
Francesco Vitiello

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:48 am Reply with quote
If the bad quality animation will go away,I'm not going to miss it at all.The story and charactersmade me like the series.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:53 am Reply with quote
This story just gets stranger and stranger.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:36 am Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
CCTakato wrote:
I'm not sure why anyone thought this was going to be a good idea or that it would be received positively by fans.

I am sure we will get more information behind Tatsuki's firing. I hope it is not something like the Konami-Kojima controversy that ruined MGSV.

While MGSV wasn't bad it was clearly hampered by corporate interference, but can you honestly blame Konami? Kojima was spending obnoxious amounts of money had had grown such an aura and persona around him that he had become virtually impossible to properly control.

The way they went about letting him go was poor, but their business plan was changing and they had a guy hemorrhaging money from them.

I doubt Tatsuki is the same guy, but it is possible that maybe he was asking for huge budgets and such that just weren't' available and something had to change. I don't want to speculate but the whole Konami-Kojima thing has more layers than people want to admit.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:09 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
While MGSV wasn't bad it was clearly hampered by corporate interference, but can you honestly blame Konami? Kojima was spending obnoxious amounts of money had had grown such an aura and persona around him that he had become virtually impossible to properly control.

The way they went about letting him go was poor, but their business plan was changing and they had a guy hemorrhaging money from them.

I doubt Tatsuki is the same guy, but it is possible that maybe he was asking for huge budgets and such that just weren't' available and something had to change. I don't want to speculate but the whole Konami-Kojima thing has more layers than people want to admit.

And what about Konami? Did you not read the news of how they treat their employees, both current AND former? Not to mention them banning Kojima from getting his award? Yeah, I think Kojima should have been more careful about the budget he got from Konami and spent during his time with MGSV. Maybe Konami's harsher treatment of their workers can be justified. However, even Konami has their reputation ruined after all the controversy.

As for Kemono Friend's bad quality and animation, I can see some people complaining about it. To be frank, the only improvement that I want to see happen is 60fps, or maybe 30fps. Cool
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
People are blaming capitalism and all kinds of random sh*t, but anyone with half a business brain wouldn't be happy to let literally their biggest asset go.

Their big asset is Kemono Friends itself, and they probably thought they could make a better sequel with a more experienced director. The trouble with that plan is that this show's popularity comes entirely from internet word-of-mouth, i.e. memes, and that only happened because it managed to combine the anime-internet's two favorite things: "it looks cute, but it's actually DARK," and hilariously bad animation. Firing the director, who had (apparently) become an idolized dark horse just like the show itself, immediately created a swarm of backlash memes; which is presumably why they're panicking and possibly reconsidering.

Of course, it's also possible that this whole thing is a publicity stunt. But I don't have much faith in big companies being clever enough to pull that off in this situation. So far it's just made Kadokawa look like a jerk.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:49 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
A pink slip coming up. Everyone knew that firing the director was a horrible idea but someone in Kadokawa wanted to probably Cinderella Girlize the series (basically turning the second season into a disasterpiece) and did so anyway.

What would Cinderella Girlize mean in this case? What do you suspect they would change?

Dozens, if not 100+ characters with a focus a tiny amount of them, but with the opposite of CG S2, which would be making the series lighter and softer instead of darker. It still would end the same way, a big disasterpiece.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:50 am Reply with quote
While I'm waiting on actual info on the firing, they messed up doing so without even giving a reason if it was legitimate. Be interesting if it came out he was fired because of some skeletons in the closet and how fans would react if this was true.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:12 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Dozens, if not 100+ characters with a focus a tiny amount of them, but with the opposite of CG S2, which would be making the series lighter and softer instead of darker. It still would end the same way, a big disasterpiece.

I think the appeal of Kemono Friends is in the balance between light and dark. While certainly darkness lurking in the background was part of the appeal, I wouldn't discount the light adventures going on in the foreground either. While making it lighter and softer could be bad, I'd say making too much darker or bringing that to the fore for more of it would be just as likely to detract from the show's appeal.

Also, while you certainly have a right to your opinion, from what I could tell on every English-speaking anime rating site, the second season of CG is generally better rated than the first. The previous Idolmaster TV series was better rated, but not wildly so. You can certainly consider it as a disasterpiece but I don't know how many are going to nod along, or even know what you're getting at.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Their big asset is Kemono Friends itself, and they probably thought they could make a better sequel with a more experienced director. The trouble with that plan is that this show's popularity comes entirely from internet word-of-mouth, i.e. memes, and that only happened because it managed to combine the anime-internet's two favorite things: "it looks cute, but it's actually DARK," and hilariously bad animation. Firing the director, who had (apparently) become an idolized dark horse just like the show itself, immediately created a swarm of backlash memes; which is presumably why they're panicking and possibly reconsidering.

Again, the "hilariously" bad animation had NOTHING to do with the appeal--
You could draw demographic lines between the "It looks cute" fans gushing over Serval and Shoebill, and the "But it's dark!" concocting elaborate binge-series theories over what happened to the humans.

In Our Day, Junior (ie. the 80's, and even the 60's and 70's, if you're into the US classics), you didn't care about the animation quality, period. I went back and looked at some Robotech Macross episodes purely out of context last week, and was briefly stunned at the cheap 80's animation...I was hooked on this? Then I started watching ten minutes of one to remember what the episode was about, and realized, yes. I was.
Back when the Hanna-Barbera cartoons were being bullied by personal network and animator issues on Cartoon Network, those who rushed to the classics' defense said what cartoon fans say all along: If cartoons are too cheap to move, they should at least know how to TALK. Which means you'd better have brilliant scripts and great characters.

Given the fan rush to defend the director (how many cartoons do you know the director of, outside of anime?), who most of us had never heard of before his breakout hit, I'd say the series seemed to have managed the latter.
Kadokawa didn't take that as much into account as they thought, because they listened to the more vocal fan discussions and thought Technical Quality Was All.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

I think it's exponentially more likely that, if this was money related at all, Tatsuki was simply asking for fair compensation. Him and his team did just spend an insane amount of time barely surviving and working 20 hour days to create this show, after all.

kotomikun wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
People are blaming capitalism and all kinds of random sh*t, but anyone with half a business brain wouldn't be happy to let literally their biggest asset go.

Their big asset is Kemono Friends itself, and they probably thought they could make a better sequel with a more experienced director.

See, that's the problem. They THINK their asset is the show, but it's not. If whoever made this decision was actually paying attention, they should have realized that the community that the show and its creators built doesn't hinge on some combination of basic story elements, but something a lot less tangible, and much more specific. For an incredibly poor analogy, this is like taking the body of a Ferrari and placing it over the engine of a Civic.

Sparvid wrote:
CCTakato wrote:

I guess the firing itself may possibly have "worked" if they had made an announcement themselves, along with some kind of explanation of why ("Because of creative differences..."), and what their plans are going forward ("The new director will be so-and-so... We'll be working on creating a show fans will like"). But instead they apparently fired the guy and then just sat back, letting him make it public, which of course quickly just led to a bunch of people being confused, come up with worst case scenarios and say negative stuff about the company.

I guess yet another thing this says about Kadokawa is that they were clearly unprepared to be running their company in a post-social media world.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

While MGSV wasn't bad it was clearly hampered by corporate interference, but can you honestly blame Konami? Kojima was spending obnoxious amounts of money

Which is strange because I've seen various people make this claim while not citing how big the game's budget actually was. Those people also gloss over other factors like the game being developed for three platforms simultaneously (which the preceeding games weren't) along with the game using an a new engine.

Snakebit1995 wrote:

had had grown such an aura and persona around him that he had become virtually impossible to properly control.

No he didn't something that should've been obvious with the way Konami did things like burying Zone Of The Enders and removing most of the staff that developed MGS5 prior to the game getting released. If Kojima had that kind of power he obviously wouldn't be doing freelance work currently.

Snakebit1995 wrote:

....You sure their losing money didn't have anything to do with the japanese game market becoming stagnant and questionable decisions on the company's part like the direction of the last few Silent Hill games?

Snakebit1995 wrote:

Not really given the questionable practices that Konami would be revealed to be engaging in.
kamui85

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:12 am Reply with quote
ANN "articles"are getting more and more ridiculous , they just repeat the tittle with different order of words and call it done.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3