• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Planned Hollywood Live-Action your name. Film Already Has Manga Parody

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corinthian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
An inter-racial romance between a druggy & an obese African-American? That's very progressive of Yokomama. I'd watch that film.

Too bad the actual movie won't be nearly as diverse.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:10 pm Reply with quote
corinthian wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:
An inter-racial romance between a druggy & an obese African-American? That's very progressive of Yokomama. I'd watch that film.

Too bad the actual movie won't be nearly as diverse.

Too bad it probably will be, to emphasize the "differences" of the star-crossed couple, and try to appeal to as wide a base as possible.
Oh, and that they'll be young twentysomething adults, because if it was teens, it would be YA.

Ironically, the black Mitsuha, and putting her in a "colorful" non-NYC flyover city like New Orleans, are probably the two predictions the manga artist got right, although maybe not for the reasons he thought he was joking about....And no, that's not whining about the black L in the Netflix Death Note, either.
Although the last "One-eyed jacks" panel image will probably be saved for the poster.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Well, you can blame our media for saying that NYC is the Center of the Hip American Universe (and the Japanese obsession with "I'm going to find my rebellious self on the mean streets of NY!"), but the "It's full of gangs, crime, drugs and riots" is really more the cultural Japanese nervousness.

Nah, that's what NYC *used* to be like. It's improved significantly since the mid-90's. The bad part is it's so gentrified, even Harlem looks like a mall (there's a Banana Republic on the same block as the Apollo theater!), and no one can afford rent anywhere anymore. The good part is that the crime rate has gone down significantly, but stereotypes persist, even among Americans. I took a course in Harlem recently, and people asked me if I was nervous on the subway at night--uh, no (to be fair, I've *never* been nervous on the subway, even in the wee hours of the morning in the late 90's).

I do think Hollywood could make the movie like this comic--sans the cursing, because they'll need to keep it PG-13, and with a much thinner actress, because Hollywood rarely gives lead roles to women over a size 2.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:09 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
This is a pretty shaky claim depending on who you're listening to and what data you're following

I'm going off the DoJ/FBI's own words.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/fbi-releases-2016-report-crime-united-states

FBI wrote:
The Federal Bureau of Investigation today released the 2016 edition of its Crime in the United States (CIUS) report, a part of the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reports (UCR). The report, which covers January-December 2016, reaffirms that the worrying violent crime increase that began in 2015 after many years of decline was not an isolated incident. The violent crime rate increased by 3.4 percent nationwide in 2016, the largest single-year increase in 25 years. The nationwide homicide rate increased by 7.9 percent, for a total increase of more than 20 percent in the nationwide homicide rate since 2014.

“For the sake of all Americans, we must confront and turn back the rising tide of violent crime. And we must do it together,” Attorney General Jeff Sessions said. “The Department of Justice is committed to working with our state, local, and tribal partners across the country to deter violent crime, dismantle criminal organizations and gangs, stop the scourge of drug trafficking, and send a strong message to criminals that we will not surrender our communities to lawlessness and violence.”

The report released today also adjusts and corrects numbers for 2015, showing that the violent crime rate actually increased by 3.3 percent (as opposed to 3.1 percent, as previously reported) in 2015. The violent crime rate increases in 2015 and 2016 each represented the largest single-year increases in the violent crime rate since 1991. These increases were nationwide, with the average violent crime rate increasing in cities over 250,000 in population, in cities under 10,000 in population, in suburban areas, and in every size in-between. In addition to the 7.9 percent homicide rate increase in 2016, the corrected numbers show the homicide rate increased by 11.4 percent in 2015, for a total increase of more than 20 percent from 2014-2016. Rapes, robberies, and aggravated assaults also each continued to increase nationwide in 2016.

There might be some American stereotypes in anime you can dispute, but America being more dangerous than Japan isn't really one of them. Even our lows would be seen as astronomical to them.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:49 am Reply with quote
I never before seen that many bad reactions from Japan about a American "adaptation" of a anime. Maybe is because how loved your name is by the general audience and not only otaku fans like most of the others anime adaptations and Japan knows how bad Hollywood is making Live-Action anime adaptions.

And looking at this manga parody, the adaptation probably will be something like this. From what i can see the only thing wrong is New Orleans been rural.

About Japan thinking that US is violent :
Quote:
Last year, the number of crimes reported in Japan was the lowest since World War II, Kyodo News reported in January, citing the National Police Agency. The homicide rate in 2013 was 0.3 per 100,000 people, compared with 3.8 in the United States, according to data from the World Bank. Also in 2013, there were 13 gun murders in Japan, the National Police Agency said, while the United States had 8,454 firearm murders, the F.B.I. reported.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/01/14/national/crime-legal/number-crimes-japan-falls-postwar-low-2015/
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I would've laughed so hard if Taki actually punched some bullies as Mitsuha.

鳳凰の王 wrote:
New Orleans to be hit by meteors, confirmed. Oh, poor New Orleans, didn't you get wiped out in the first episode of Aldnoah.Zero as well? Why are the Japanese treat you thus?!

Well, considering how often they wipe out Tokyo in their own media, maybe that means the Japanese really, really like New Orleans and think it's a fantastic place to live.

Agent355 wrote:
I do think Hollywood could make the movie like this comic--sans the cursing, because they'll need to keep it PG-13, and with a much thinner actress, because Hollywood rarely gives lead roles to women over a size 2.

Unless it's a comedy or an Oscar bait movie, which have their own unfortunate implications.
robertbaldie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:13 am Reply with quote
Nailed it. These are the stereotypes Americans deserve.
BlueCatMage

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:21 am Reply with quote
*sigh* I have no idea how long it's gonna take me to pick up my jaw from the floor after reading this crap. Seriously, this is why we can't have nice things! Honestly can't America freaking leave things alone?! And JJ - you're drunk - go back to working on Star Wars and stay there!

Now, I've got a couple of friends of mine who are over there teaching at the moment and some of the things they've mentioned about how their Japanese coworkers are reacting to this announcement really highlights just how well loved our American anime live action movies are. It's definitely not pretty. -___-;
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:48 pm Reply with quote
While the Japanese think the US is a dangerous country since I am from Brazil I perceive the US to be very safe.

Murder rate:

Brazil -- 26.74
US ----- 4.88
Japan -- 0.31

Although the difference between Japan and the US is larger than between Brazil and US, the US is several times safer than Brazil. Indeed, in the US I walk outside during late night hours all the time. In Brazil I was much more careful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:20 am Reply with quote
robertbaldie wrote:
Nailed it. These are the stereotypes Americans deserve.
As confirmed yet again today. Stand by for the usual homily from the high priests of the Second Amendment. Rolling Eyes
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
As confirmed yet again today. Stand by for the usual homily from the high priests of the Second Amendment. Rolling Eyes
Using a tragedy to push some kind of agenda seems in poor taste.

Violence is a cultural problem. Europe has a lot of violence despite no 2nd amendment. Instead of guns, they use bombs, chemical weapons, run over crowds in trucks, or knives. Japan isn't a safe place due to lack of weapons, it's safe because of their culture and societal views fosters a non-violent environment. Same reason Japan is relatively drug free, because the people willingly avoid controlled substances.

-Stuart Smith
robertbaldie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:20 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Using a tragedy to push some kind of agenda seems in poor taste.

Violence is a cultural problem. Europe has a lot of violence despite no 2nd amendment. Instead of guns, they use bombs, chemical weapons, run over crowds in trucks, or knives. Japan isn't a safe place due to lack of weapons, it's safe because of their culture and societal views fosters a non-violent environment. Same reason Japan is relatively drug free, because the people willingly avoid controlled substances.

-Stuart Smith

Wow... did you really just compare vehicle and knife attacks in Europe to America's gun issue? Please show me a comparison of statistics that makes them even the tiniest bit comparable.

People like you are the reason your country will never change it's ways in this regard. You'd just better pray (and you Americans are really good at that, it seems. One day it may even start working!) that none of the people closest to you get shot up for doing nothing more than going about their daily lives.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:32 pm Reply with quote
robertbaldie wrote:

Wow... did you really just compare vehicle and knife attacks in Europe to America's gun issue? Please show me a comparison of statistics that makes them even the tiniest bit comparable

I'm not sure what statistics you want, exactly. If you don't think a vehicle can be a
deadly weapon, 86 people died and 458 were injured last year in France when a truck plowed into a crowd of people. Japan isn't safe because they don't have guns, trucks, or bombs, it's safe because they know better than to kill one another.

-Stuart Smith
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Y'know what some people would think about that clip. And it's almost to the point that they are making fun of the so-called "progressive" time we live in. Where everyone needs representation, white washing, and the IR insertion, yada yada yada. I can't help but laugh. Because yes, one day a white guy is going to wake up in black woman's body. LOL!! Of course they went there with the ahem..."fabulously sized" kind. But it's true. Right now I have people who work next to me who while they support J.J Abrams, of course have a legitimate gripe about how the film would be done because all the Japanese references would be lost.

Sometimes I think Hollywood likes the attention because negative attention can draw a crowd. But sometimes that doesn't always work. Because they are just shoving money into stuff. Sad thing is not a lot of people are buying it. And that's a killer for movie houses. I wish they would go back to basics and go back to what works. Look for materials that would make a good movie and go from there. And stop trying to shove so much "identity politics" down people's throat. There's enough material out there untapped that they can source from.

*I barely do theatrical movies. Last time I went to a movie was when I saw the 'Cabin in the Woods'. I mostly do foreign movies and foreign animation. That's it. I don't pay to see western cinema much anymore. If I do it's only because I'm accompanying someone who wants to go in a group.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2