• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DARLING in the FRANXX Anime Reveals New Visual, Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:09 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I've heard bad things about Star Driver. Is it worth watching if you only care about the Mechs? Because I'm in the mood for some 2D Mechs, and importantly ones that are well animated.

Okay, here's what Star Driver is at its core. The show is a reinterpretation of the 1943 French novella, The Little Prince. The show's theme (yes, it has one), much of the cast and how their personalities and values are shaped are based on that story and it's using mechs, which are based off of letters of the Phonecian Alphabet, as tools to give help give the reinterpretation a more fantastical feel. And the director, will use visual imagery and framing to help tell the character's stories. It's his thing.

That's what Star Driver was going for which I think most people (me included) never noticed. How much you think you'll like Star Driver will depend on how much you are honestly in the mood for a mecha show applying these kinds of ideas.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Now, the new key visual looks more like an anime from Trigger. To be honest, I'm really intrigued. I really hope the story is good. But knowing them, at least we can expect some interesting action scenes.

MarshalBanana wrote:
I've heard bad things about Star Driver. Is it worth watching if you only care about the Mechs? Because I'm in the mood for some 2D Mechs, and importantly ones that are well animated.

IMO, if you're into Star Driver only for the mechs, I'd recommend you to check out only the movie. It has less mechs. But it does away with the meandering latter half of the TV series, delivering basically the same story, but also making it more compact and action-packed.

...Well, there was one change near the final moments which I liked better in the TV series though. spoiler[The few seconds where Wako and Takuto understood each other just by exchanging looks. They changed it into a weird speech in the movie version. ]
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:24 pm Reply with quote
With deep thought....this is what came up with.

I just think the mechanical designer should have been told. Try again.
it's been done. It's nice design, but it should be it's own design.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:59 am Reply with quote
Seriously, I can't be the only one here who wants simuldub with this. If AoA picks up, use Hulu or Crunchyroll instead of Netflix for said simuldub.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:27 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Seriously, I can't be the only one here who wants simuldub with this. If AoA picks up, use Hulu or Crunchyroll instead of Netflix for said simuldub.

Anything exclusive to Hulu is the worst possible outcome.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:17 am Reply with quote
I can’t remember the last anime exclusive to Hulu.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Blue Exorcist, I think. I vaguely remember getting a subscription for it.

I’m juiced for this new show. I’ve been posting about it on Facebook. I hope it clicks with me...I’d really like to collect a new TV anime as it’s released. It’s been a very long time.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:06 am Reply with quote
luffypirate wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

Blue Exorcist, I think. I vaguely remember getting a subscription for it.

I’m juiced for this new show. I’ve been posting about it on Facebook. I hope it clicks with me...I’d really like to collect a new TV anime as it’s released. It’s been a very long time.

The last exclusive Hulu anime was the Blue Exorcist Kyoto Saga dub.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
Hulu originals don’t have nearly the same currency as Netflix (save Handmaid’s Tale and 11/22/63) so hopefully we get multiple.

Then again, if it was a Hulu exclusive, Hulu gets to say they have a way better exclusive mecha show than Netflix and Voltron.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:38 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Even if it flounders, you can avail yourself of the following dismissive summary: "Franxxly my Darling, I don't give a damn."

OK, if I was the show's director and I saw this post, I would want to add that line in just because of this post.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Tauburn's cousins in that visual looking good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2