• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Masaaki Yuasa Responds to Critic's Poor Review of Devilman Crybaby

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:01 am Reply with quote
All right. Thanks for your take on this. (I mentioned about Derrida and the other nihilists because I know all about their tendency to take words and make up their own definitions without context. This was something that became popular during the French New Wave for some reason, causing philosophers of those decades to do it a lot.)

For the record, I know next to no Japanese, so I rely entirely on what translators make available. I am no good at learning languages, so I decided to focus on the opposite, which is to learn all of the rules and intricacies of the English language instead. This is in spite of how English was my second language--I lost most of my ability to learn new languages, which I realized when I struggled in every foreign language class in high school. (It is possible that it was through bad teaching, however.)
mbanu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:21 am Reply with quote
Sounds like "subculture" is the Japanese term for hipster. Viewed in that light, I see this argument in the States all the time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7