• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I disagree on the story part, because A) I did enjoy it, and B) I think it will definitely have meaning down the track. The crafting that went into it suggests that it isn't a throw-away one episode thing. Also, it is good to have breaks like this sometimes, without having the usual drama and action of collecting a card.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Overall thus far, I must admit I'm a bit disappointed with Clear Card seeming to be a step down in storytelling from CCS. Outside of it subverting many of the typical magical girl tropes, the big hook with CCS for me was that it also took time to develop and flesh out its characters, as well as delve into the chemistry between them (counting the many relationship teases that the series was known for at the time). This kept the series fresh and prevented it from gradually getting stagnant with the "collect all the cards" storyline that was being played out.

Sadly, Clear Card arc lacks the solid characterization offered from the original series and seems to be dragging its heels with revealing more about the mysterious nature of the Clear Cards and whatever connection that new character Akiho has to them. Not to mention for two characters who were supposed to be a couple following CCS, Sakura and Syaoran's chemistry seems to be quite limited in this new series. It's like this series is no different from other sequels or remakes to classic anime of yester-year made to cash-in on the original title's popularity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:24 am Reply with quote
I hope that we get to see a proper demonstration of Sakura's power. Recording the past aside, we haven't really seen anything that went beyond what we saw in the first series.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:04 am Reply with quote
I thought that this new "Cardcaptor Sakura" anime will have 26 episodes (and probably more).
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There's a very important takeaway from this week's episode of Clear Card: Sakura is now one of the five most power magic users Kero has ever known.

I've watched the original anime and read the manga numerous times so which events belong in which are a little muddy for me, but I'm pretty sure at least the manga established that, after defeating Eriol and splitting the power of Clow Reed he contained, Sakura had become the most powerful magician in the world. So I'm quite confused as to why this is considered a new revelation
Oggers

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know the story Sakura and Akiho were reading to the kids is an actual published picture book. It's a cute story, and I actually got kind of invested in it as they were telling it.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Southkaio wrote:
I thought that this new "Cardcaptor Sakura" anime will have 26 episodes (and probably more).

I'm basing my count off of this article, but the encyclopedia lists it with 26. Shocked So, uh, you could be right?

@CrowLia

I think it was the manga, but like you, the two kind of blend together. I should have phrased it as "confirmed as," since you're right, it was mentioned somewhere before.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:

Not to mention for two characters who were supposed to be a couple following CCS, Sakura and Syaoran's chemistry seems to be quite limited in this new series. It's like this series is no different from other sequels or remakes to classic anime of yester-year made to cash-in on the original title's popularity.

And dare I say, quite hollow. I'm definitely disappointed that this is the case. Sakura and Syaoran is literally one of the first OTPs I supported and grew to love as an anime fan, and as a continuation of where their relationship has gone following the second movie, this feels more like regression than growth and development. I get that there are deterrents now in how close they can be since Syaoran is keeping secrets, but even that aspect makes little sense for this series.

The lack of growth I'm noticing in Sakura and Syaoran's relationship goes hand in hand with the lack of growth I'm noticing in Sakura as a magic user. When it comes to the one thing you're supposed to be the best at, you should be moving more toward becoming more astute as far as it's concerned not less so. For contrast, consider Goku in dragon ball. Goku will always be a bit of a dolt and a simpleton when it comes to everyday things, but fighting is what he's good at and his intuition and knowledge as far as it's concerned only continues to evolve not stagnate. Even though dragon ball has several issues from a storytelling point, when it comes to that level of characterization, CLAMP could learn a thing or two from Akira Toriyama.

That aside, anyone one taking any guesses on what Syaoran is hiding about his new breadth of magical powers? I've noticed at least twice now that the magic he's been using bares an uncanny resemblance to the Clow/Sakura cards. This was particularly evident in one of the episodes where they actually showed him using magic that looked exactly like one of the magically spirits from Sakura's cards. My guess is he somehow has access to use the cards that Sakura can't any longer now that they're clear. I'm definitely eager to see how that mystery resolves itself and soon because I'm tired I'm watching withdrawn and despondent Syaoran who lets all his secrets get in the way of blossoming his relationship with Sakura.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 20, finally we are getting some plot and it opens many potential questions.
Is Akiho a clone or time displaced fragment of Sakura's mother?
Is Akiho butler trying to synchronise the two souls, effectively clone an imprint of Sakura on top of Akiho so that he can steal Sakura's magic?
Are the cards being converted from Sakura cards to clear cards (Akiho cards) for the same purpose the clow cards were converted to Sakura cards, essentially setting the book and Akiho as the origin and ultimate master and that's why Sakura and her brothers magic is getting stronger?(because she is no longer the source powering converted cards).
Was Akiho ever a real person and was overwritten or was she created artificially?
What does Eriol know about whats going on?
Will we see more of Eriols guardians who have been distinctly absent even though one is featured prominently in the post credit jokes.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:30 am Reply with quote
This episode has me convinced that in line with the previous arc, Akiho may in fact be a reincarnation of Nadeshiko just like how Eriol (and Fujitaka to a certain extent) were reincarnations of Clow. It makes the fact that Akiho and Sakura are very similar in personality and how Akiho looks very similar to Nadeshiko more deliberate than anything else.

I'm also starting to think now that also in line with previous arcs, there truly is no "villain" or any antagonist with ill intent here. Perhaps Nadeshiko was also someone who possessed magical power and with Sakura's magical power growing it may have triggered something in Akiho that's bringing Nadeshiko's personality out. I think Kaito has every intent to try and slow and possibly reverse the process of Akiho losing her identity to her past self. In any case, Akiho's awakening appears to be directly related to the Sakura cards turning clear and the clear cards coming about. Perhaps the old cards are confused as to who their allegiance should be to and thus the clear cards were willed by Sakura as a response to that. Who knows, but I'm just glad that it looks like next episode we will be getting some concrete answers.
Morry

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Well I caught up on all things CCS and I have to say, I'm not sure what people are complaining about in the writing department. The original CCS was a prolonged, repetitive mess, especially with all the filler. It's not like Clear Card is following up anything crazy amazing. It was 70 episodes for two arcs that could've easily been 36.

The biggest problem I have with Clear Card specifically is it can't decide if it's the anime canon or manga canon. It picks and chooses at seemingly random with no sense of continuity. Syaoran's also mellowed out a little too much for my taste. Their chemistry has improved in these latest episodes since he's been slightly more combative and feisty at least, and they're still adorable together.

But otherwise, this feels like a continuation of CCS, rather short and simple plot threads padded out by card-capping shenanigans and the slice of life moments they do in-between. Even then, I'm glad there's a real potential villain here and not just an obviously harmless antagonist behind the scenes like in the past. Plus, spoiler[CCS Sakura seems to show up in Tsubasa as a late middle school or high school student, so there's clearly a lot of plot to cover from now to then.]
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:32 am Reply with quote
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but I think we might have a long wait to see the proper end of CCS Clear Card.

Evidence -

Point 1
The most recent episode ties up with the manga chapters that are not yet out in published book format.
https://sakura-clearcard.xyz/archives/1563

See here - this is chapter 23 of the manga that ties up with episode 21.

Chapter 24 which I won't link to because it's spoilers for next week is part of volume 6.

So CCS is right bang up to date with the manga.

Point 2
The volume 8 of the blu-ray lists only episode - episode 22. How often do you see only 1 episode on the last disc ??

Point 3
The NHK run is one cour behind so they are due to finish in September'ish....right before the volume 8 comes out ???

I'm taking a leap here but I think because the manga is not yet out that they are holding back the last episodes so the manga can finish first and that there are going to be OVA episodes on the last volume of the blu-ray

Seems VERY likely ?????

Comments ?
Oggers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:08 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the most recent episode...I think it's an interesting twist that spoiler[Sakura is unknowingly creating the Clear Cards based on whatever her desires are beforehand]. I don't know of another magical girl series where the entities the magical girl has to defeat are spoiler[being created subconsciously by the magical girl herself.]
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:27 pm Reply with quote
^I wouldn't really call that a twist since they've already alluded to this fact several episodes ago. This episode just seems to confirm it. It's also been made evident that the cards aren't really the antagonists that Sakura has to worry about. They may present trouble, but in typical cardcaptor's fashion, they're mostly only a danger in their unbridled power rather than anything intentional or malicious.

I like that we are starting to get some real answers now including for why Syaoran has been so withdrawn and morose all season. That's still not to say I like seeing him this way or that I like any of the secret keeping, which I still don't and find most of it to be hindering the pacing of the plot needlessly. This whole story would be a lot more interesting to watch if Eriol, Syaoran, and everyone else was just straight with Sakura and if Sakura was more proactive about being clued in than all these superficial mysteries that only exist to purposely hold the plot back for what seems to be a lack of material (let's be real, even after all this, there doesn't appear to be that much going on).

That aside, I feel that my hunch that Nadeshiko may have also been a magic user seems to be coming true through what we learn in Fujitaka and Touya's conversation and this revelation of Sakura's great grandfather's key that looks a whole lot like a magic key that can transform into a staff. Hopefully we'll get to learn more about Nadeshiko's powers and what she was able to do with them when she was alive.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:55 pm Reply with quote
So are we going to get a second season for Clear Card? While I've enjoyed the new series as a whole, I have to admit I'll be a little disappointed if the next episode is the final one. They're going to have to seriously rush through a ton of plot and info dumping to wrap everything up and I can't imagine the last episode will have as an exciting of a climax as the original series did if they're going to have to spend most of the episode rushing through explaining the plot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11