• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Golden Kamuy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericarreza

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:34 am Reply with quote
Oh here's what I'd noticed about the Ainu people as I'd watched this anime series. It looks like they like to eat meat, or also known as PETA (People Enjoying Tasty Animals) specifically squirrels, rabbits & bears and I pity for them. Anime smile + sweatdrop

I wonder if those animal rights activists will be insulted after watching this series but hey, it's part of their cultures & traditions for a long time. So is it more important to respect the Ainu's cultures & traditions than those poor animals? Cool
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:24 am Reply with quote
I really don't understand the criticisms of this show's appearance.

So a couple of characters in the background looked weird. This is a TV anime with a TV budget. It sounds like critics think Golden Kamuy should look like a Ghibli movie. I've seen lots of shows with much poorer visuals than Kamuy. It's time to give this line a rest and focus on the story itself.

I also think Sugimoto's feelings about Asirpa are much more complicated than the reviewer does. I think he understood intuitively what Oba-san was saying even if he doesn't speak her language. Sugimoto has conflicted feelings about Asirpa, and leaving was one way of dealing with them. Right before he leaves, Sugimoto thinks back over a few scenes with Asirpa that portray her in a romantic light. Then he goes to her bedside and sees her sleeping self, where she looks very much like a twelve- or thirteen-year-old girl. He reminds himself that Asirpa is still a child and bids her "Sayonara."

Sugimoto might also fear for her safety and that of the other villagers were his pursuers to come looking for him. I didn't find his departure nearly as surprising as the reviewer did.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I also think Sugimoto's feelings about Asirpa are much more complicated than the reviewer does. I think he understood intuitively what Oba-san was saying even if he doesn't speak her language.

Idk if you're reading the manga, but I think this is another example of how the show's adaptation kinda bungled that scene. The manga, at least IIRC, made it a lot clearer that he interpreted Oba-san as saying the opposite of what she actually does (which the reader only finds out later, since the Ainu dialogue is left untranslated initially).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They are indeed named after the infamous members of the Shinsengumi, but Hijikata at least would have died much earlier, before the events of Golden Kamuy.

But that's the conceit of this story - that he's not just named after him, he's supposed to be Hijikata, who in this story didn't die at Hakodate in 1869, but just let people believe he had. Since the Battle of 203 Meter Hill from Episode 1 was at the end of 1904, had Hijikata actually lived, he'd have been about 69. And he seems to be trying to resurrect the Republic of Ezo after his failure at Hakodate, so it's an interesting what-if to add to the story.

Quote:
More mysterious are the characters we meet at the end of this episode, another ex-soldier with a famous bear-hunter, Nihei Tetsuzou. They seem to be trailing Sugimoto and Asirpa, but they're more interested in hunting bears at the moment, so they feel like less of an immediate threat compared to the ex-Shinsengumi's ambitions, despite their truly ominous introduction.

The bear hunter is new, but the other guy was Genjirō Tanigaki, the Matagi guy who was determined to kill Asirpa's wolf after it broke his leg in Episode 3.

I tell ya what, if I were Sugimoto, the first thing I'd be doing after getting my hands free is yanking those skewers outta my face. It was driving me crazy watching him run all over the place with those still sticking out, waiting to get snagged on something and rip his face open. >.<
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
They are indeed named after the infamous members of the Shinsengumi, but Hijikata at least would have died much earlier, before the events of Golden Kamuy.

But that's the conceit of this story - that he's not just named after him, he's supposed to be Hijikata, who in this story didn't die at Hakodate in 1869, but just let people believe he had. Since the Battle of 203 Meter Hill from Episode 1 was at the end of 1904, had Hijikata actually lived, he'd have been about 69. And he seems to be trying to resurrect the Republic of Ezo after his failure at Hakodate, so it's an interesting what-if to add to the story.

Yeah, maybe I worded it oddly, but my intention was just to inform people who wouldn't be familiar with that history (as I expect would be the case with most American viewers) that the real Hijikata did actually die back then. I figure they are supposed to be the real historical people, not just "named after" them, but wasn't sure if viewers would know they are based on actual Shinsengumi and were not just invented characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joa

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:03 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Sugimoto has conflicted feelings about Asirpa, and leaving was one way of dealing with them. Right before he leaves, Sugimoto thinks back over a few scenes with Asirpa that portray her in a romantic light. Then he goes to her bedside and sees her sleeping self, where she looks very much like a twelve- or thirteen-year-old girl. He reminds himself that Asirpa is still a child and bids her "Sayonara."

In the manga it's very clear that Sugimoto is in love with someone else already. The anime skipped a couple of flashbacks (one in chapter 6 and one in chapter 15) so it isn't as apparent there. Sugimoto does mention that he's searching for the gold because of the woman he loves in episode 2, but I guess it's easily overlooked since it's only one brief line.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:23 am Reply with quote
Joa wrote:
Sugimoto does mention that he's searching for the gold because of the woman he loves in episode 2, but I guess it's easily overlooked since it's only one brief line.

The anime portrays him as searching for the gold to help the wife and children of one of his army friends, the one that gets sucked into a swamp. As far as I can tell, Sugimoto is pursuing this course out of obligation to his friend. There's no suggestion of a hidden lover lurking in the background.

I have no idea how that corresponds to the manga and don't really care. I expect anime to tell a self-contained story that requires no consultation of the source material.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
^ That was my understanding of his motive. What was the "one brief line" in the anime that says otherwise?
Joa

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
What was the "one brief line" in the anime that says otherwise?

In episode 2, right before he fights Ogata. This will be elaborated on later anyway, but I hope they still include the flashbacks they skipped at some point. I think they're fairly important to Sugimoto's character.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Their drunken conversation and especially Asirpa getting stuck in the side of the hut was gut bustingly hilarious to me.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:46 am Reply with quote
I think the animation quality was better in this episode than the last few, the deer was impressively done, and I like how most of the cuts of the wolf were 2D.
TD912

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Good to see this episode definitely had an uptick in animation quality. All the characters look way better than in previous episodes and the motion doesn't seem all janky anymore. Hopefully they can keep it up for the rest of the series.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
His PTSD causes him to see another soldier's eyes in those of the buck he's about to kill, so he fails to shoot.

What he saw was his own face overlaid on the buck's. That made it hard to kill when he saw his own struggles to survive mirrored in the buck's same refusal to die. At least that's what I got out of if. There's probably more to it than that. Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I think the reviewer is a little off about Tetsuzou being a monster. He's just a guy obsessed with the thrill of the hunt, he said himself is ideal life is to hunt bears and other apex predators until the day he is eventually killed and devoured by them. Granted he's extremely abnormal by today's societal standards but I don't really seeing him as being any worse than any of the other antagonists who are after the gold for their own selfish reasons (most of which seem to be either for personal greed or for building an army to start another war). He's not even interested in the gold in the first place.

btw, I love all of Asirpa's expressions whenever she's feeling disgust or in this case, drunken sadness heh. They always get a laugh out of me.

Last edited by #844391 on Sun May 20, 2018 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:45 am Reply with quote
This series is already starting to get at least some notice, as I've already seen at least one girl at Anime Central this weekend doing an Asirpa cosplay. She was almost accurately short, too. (Sadly, I did not get a picture, as we were busy crossing the street and then I lost track of her.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10