• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Report invasive ads here (archived)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Now however, this site is giving me this garbage. They look like hyperlinks but when you hover over them they do that.

Hi Kruszer,

Check this thread for the discussion on the "in-text" ads.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:04 am Reply with quote
Okay thanks.

It's good that I'm not going nuts but bad that wasted 3 to 4 hours trying to sanitize my PC. Laughing
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:43 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
this site is giving me this garbage. They look like hyperlinks but when you hover over them they do that. I get them all over these boards.

Hmm.. that particular ad looks to be rather dubious - I fail to see how they can legally offer downloads of shows that are not only not yet released in the US but in some cases not even licensed (according to the screenshots, which is all you can see without registering).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:00 pm Reply with quote
The problem discussed in this thread: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45230 is a banner ad for yourmusic.com. It has a LoadMovie link to an installer for a trojan.

Details are in my post in that thread.
feytaline

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
This might not fall under any of the catagories, but the new Gurren Lagan ad is showing up huge like WHOA on my work computer. It's messing up the Internet Explorer, I have to scroll horizontally to see anything. This hasn't happened with any of the ads before.

I know that my screen resolution is set to 800 x 600, which is probably something I'm not supposed to mess with (since, after all, it IS a work computer and I'm probably quite lucky that this site isn't blocked. However, this is REALLY, REALLY huge, so I find it hard to believe that it's JUST that. (I mean, the scroll bar has to go nearly halfway across the screen for me to show the entire thing.)

It wasn't like this yesterday, so perhaps this is just something that needs to be ironed out? Or maybe it's just my bad luck?
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:02 am Reply with quote
Okay, I don't know why, but the page loaded that Ann Coulter Banner ad, and it just stopped loading. I did a refresh, and it loaded normally.

I knew Ann Coulter was evil, but to stop ANN from loading?
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:06 am Reply with quote
Not really what I would call invasive, but I've found that as a subscriber I can't shut off the Google ads that appear when doing a search. I have disabled [System] ads, but these ads in particular don't seem to be effected like other Google ads are.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:08 am Reply with quote
I'm not entirely sure this counts as 'invasive', but I thought I'd ask about it because I personally find it really annoying; the banner ad for Dragon Wars (or whatever it is) also contains this...thing that pops up in the middle of the page. I'll be reading a thread and suddenly this black hole appears on my screen with a snake-demon-thing poking out of it. It scared the crap out of me the first couple of times I saw it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
I'm not entirely sure this counts as 'invasive', but I thought I'd ask about it because I personally find it really annoying; the banner ad for Dragon Wars (or whatever it is) also contains this...thing that pops up in the middle of the page. I'll be reading a thread and suddenly this black hole appears on my screen with a snake-demon-thing poking out of it. It scared the crap out of me the first couple of times I saw it.

+1. Was going for Talkback section when that ad popped up.
braves

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
I'll be reading a thread and suddenly this black hole appears on my screen with a snake-demon-thing poking out of it. It scared the crap out of me the first couple of times I saw it.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one to get scared by that thing. Laughing I think it's pretty invasive; I thought my computer got hacked!
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I would definitely consider it invasive. It goes way outside the bounds of the banner and takes over the screen, making it difficult to actually read or view the site while it is there.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Please remember to post the "Ads by ..." message at the bottom of the page. Otherwise it can be difficult to know where the ad came from.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:38 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Please remember to post the "Ads by ..." message at the bottom of the page. Otherwise it can be difficult to know where the ad came from.

Kinda hard when your trying furiously figuring out where the hell is the X button to shut the damn invasive ad thing down!!
Evelas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I too have had that darn dragon pop up while I'm on the forums, and it scared the mess out of me.

I can't seem to get that dragon to pop out of the middle of the screen again (figures I can't find it the one time I'm looking for it), but one that looks just like it that stays in the ad space unless you mouse over the ad is by Gorilla Nation. I don't know if more than one ad company is doing those Dragon Wars ads, or maybe the ad only makes that dragon pop up every now and then, but maybe that'll help.

*Edit for clarity.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I know this most likely doesn't qualify, and is not so much a problem, but I think it is worth mentioning.

Seriously, I can't concentrate when this comes up. And for some strange reason it makes stare off blankly at my screen. Smile

Anytime I want to really read something I have to hit refresh.

Oh, and the Dragon Wars one scared the hell out of me late one night.

Edit:
Enjoyment and affecting concentration are two different things. I never said I didn't like it. Wink

Last edited by Dargonxtc on Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 26