• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sudden pop up and redirect

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:03 am Reply with quote
I closed the windows before I got the name of the program they were pushing so I apologize in advance. Just moments ago when coming here the page looked like it was about to load when it suddenly re-sized and got pushed to the bottom right corner of my desktop (not minimized) and a prompt box with the usual "Your computer may be already infected! Click OK to run a free scan blah, blah, blah" text. I closed the box and re-maximized the window which presented me with a bogus virus scan followed by a fake prompt box (the type that tries to get you to press cancel, but the whole box is one big button). I closed the window and restarted IE and came back here no problem this time. I don't know where this could have come from. It might be me, but I've never had a redirect like this when going to a website I go to regularly. Really, my first thought was that ANN had been hacked. I actually hope the problem is me and not something malicious that found its way onto ANN somehow.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:17 am Reply with quote
I just had this happen as well, and like you, I was so quick to try to get out of whatever it was that I did not get any further information. Given the lateness of the hour where I am, I'm going to close all my applications, run Adaware then follow it up with a virus scan (telling it to shut down the computer when done) just in case. Hopefully Dan or whoever can figure out what happened with just these vague descriptions. I don't play around with redirects and pop-ups, particularly when they are specifically mentioning adware, etc.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:05 am Reply with quote
It's like a Malwayre ad scanner ad. It has been happened to me both when i'm on neopets. Those are the only two sites.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:41 am Reply with quote
Got the same thing as mentioned above. Only for this site, was while trying to go to one of the forum topics (talkback) when it happened. Using FireFox as a web browser. It didn't seem to try and add any malicious programs, I've already checked.

However I'm sure this is not a desired feature of ANN.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:56 am Reply with quote
Seems like there are more victims; my computer is not affected, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:29 am Reply with quote
heh, I actually got the ad when I was trying to look at this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NGE1113

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:59 am Reply with quote
Tally up another one who's had this happen. I opened a thread into a new tab, and got that screen instead. I didn't get the pop-up that Emerje described, but I'm chalking that up to tabbed web browsing. Outside of being a worrisome annoyance, it doesn't appear to have any lasting effects.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:36 am Reply with quote
I haven't had any problems. Does the manner in which you access the site have anything to do with it? By that I mean whether you got here through a bookmark, typing the address manually, or simply googling ANN and clicking the site. Would that make any difference?
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:56 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
I haven't had any problems. Does the manner in which you access the site have anything to do with it? By that I mean whether you got here through a bookmark, typing the address manually, or simply googling ANN and clicking the site. Would that make any difference?

No, I can't see why that'd make any difference. I got it when hitting refresh in the Talkback thread about the DMCA notices sent out.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:24 am Reply with quote
I just got the same thing a few minutes ago. I opened this site in a tab and clicked on the Anime forum, I think. It had that Windowsy~ appearance, which of course didn't match my Mac at all. I seriously doubt my computer is infected! Rolling Eyes (Though I'll admit it did scare me at first...)
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:06 pm Reply with quote
It's an infected banner ad flash file. I just got it this morning for a second time after hitting it last night on a different computer.

EDIT2: information below confirmed by a hosts file redirect for newbieadguide.com. The yourmusic.com ad is compromised.

The most likely candidate (from modification date/time, access, and known information about infected yourmusic.com banners) is: animenewsnetwork.com/images/s/149/8026.yourmusic_728x90_EN.swf (you probably don't want to run that). My properties for the flash file show it as modified 11/19/2007 at 12:18PM (which would suggest a correspondence to the recent occurence of this problem).

It's running again as the banner as I type this right now. So I'm either wrong or it has triggers that cause it to behave selectively (it actually appears to be cookie based).

My access to this SWF file was followed by access to: http://newbieadguide.com/swf/gnida.swf?campaign=massro11&u=23423424 which is the SWF which redirects to malware-scan.com to install the virus.

For information about the hijacking of yourmusic.com banner ads by this malware you can see: http://www.dynamoo.com/diary/malware-scan-newbieadguide-com-hijack.htm.

In case they also need scanning in the unlikely event that the yourmusic.com ad isn't the culprit, the next two most recent banners before the yourmusic.com ad were:
animenewsnetwork.com/images/s/31/8024.ann_suzuka-v5_728x90.swf
animenewsnetwork.com/images/s/31/7991.ann_hellgirl_vol1n2_728x90.swf

EDIT3: the above are clean.

EDIT1: My link to the information appears to be broken when I run it from the post. Any search on "newbieadguide" should provide similar information about the infection.
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Just to add to the me too, I got the same thing on my home and work computers.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote
It seems I wasn't the only one, whatsoever. I figured it was from somewhere else as I've been browsing online at Warcraft III sites and had acquired the trojan from one of them. Immediately ran Norton afterwards and it found the trojan and fixed it.

Exactly how does a sponsor's ad become infested anyway? I've never heard of that.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Just got home from a business trip and saw this. I've disabled the ad and will speak with the Agency that provided it tomorrow.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:33 pm Reply with quote
For a period of approximately 20 hours yesterday, a flash ad that ultimately redirected viewers to malwarealarm.com (do not visit that site) was included in the ad rotation on Anime News Network. The ad in question is is in fact malware.

Very few ANN readers would have been affected, if you have not seen this software on your computer you are likely not affected. However we recommend that any person who visited Anime News Network with a Windows operating system, on Tuesday, September 20, scan their computer with Spybot-S&D, Lavasoft Ad-Aware, Windows Live One-Care, or another similar, free, reputable anti-malware software. Anime News Network apologizes for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1