• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Super: Broly Movie's Trailer Unveiled at Comic-Con

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:

And that’s where you are wrong. Janemba is the same as Broly, good backstory’s but not very good execution. Cause Broly has a good backstory if you look past that whole crying excuse you people keep focusing on as if that’s the only thing about him. He was born a genetic anomaly, a mutant with unnaturally high-power who was almost murdered as a baby out of jealousy because of his immense power. The murder attempt, his father controlling him, & his obscene power then rendered him insane with his hatred of Goku being his jealousy & anger that such a weak Saiyan was allowed to love compared to him who was almost killed.

This is a classic overreaching interpretation of Broly's back story. Broly isn't jealous. Broly is just angry. That's literally the only emotion he has, just angry, with a special hate for the baby that drove him nuts in the nursery. He's barely even cognisant of the world around him. He has no personality and his one move in combat is just bulldozing everyone until he's finally stopped.

There's nothing interesting about overcomplicating the Super Saiyan legend with more additions. It's just unnecessary. Goku, Vegeta, and Trunks had already become the legend, showing that Vegeta's recollection of legend was probably flawed. There never needed to be a THE Legendary Super Saiyan, especially not one who barely talks and whose sole motivation is HULK SMASH.

Quote:
It’s a good backstory, the execution is just bad. Same with Janemba, he’s got a good backstory but personality wise he’s just a Buu copycat. He had a lot of potential but they never do anything with him aside from repeating Buu’s gags.

Janemba is a fun villain, at least, because of the visuals of Movie 12 and how they display his abilities. He doesn't talk, either, but you get more character from his malicious mischief than Broly's screaming tank.

Even if Broly was a million times better a character, he's still a bad character, because they kept bringing him back. Villains like Bojack and Hildegarn are disposable, but that's all they aspire to be. The Broly concept aspired to be more, which is what made its repeated failures all the worse. I'd rather have a throwaway villain who stays true to who they are than some deep lore villain who is hyped but isn't interesting at all. This is why Broly fails, because they tried to make something of nothing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:44 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:

And that’s where you are wrong. Janemba is the same as Broly, good backstory’s but not very good execution. Cause Broly has a good backstory if you look past that whole crying excuse you people keep focusing on as if that’s the only thing about him. He was born a genetic anomaly, a mutant with unnaturally high-power who was almost murdered as a baby out of jealousy because of his immense power. The murder attempt, his father controlling him, & his obscene power then rendered him insane with his hatred of Goku being his jealousy & anger that such a weak Saiyan was allowed to love compared to him who was almost killed.

This is a classic overreaching interpretation of Broly's back story. Broly isn't jealous. Broly is just angry. That's literally the only emotion he has, just angry, with a special hate for the baby that drove him nuts in the nursery. He's barely even cognisant of the world around him. He has no personality and his one move in combat is just bulldozing everyone until he's finally stopped.

There's nothing interesting about overcomplicating the Super Saiyan legend with more additions. It's just unnecessary. Goku, Vegeta, and Trunks had already become the legend, showing that Vegeta's recollection of legend was probably flawed. There never needed to be a THE Legendary Super Saiyan, especially not one who barely talks and whose sole motivation is HULK SMASH.

Quote:
It’s a good backstory, the execution is just bad. Same with Janemba, he’s got a good backstory but personality wise he’s just a Buu copycat. He had a lot of potential but they never do anything with him aside from repeating Buu’s gags.

Janemba is a fun villain, at least, because of the visuals of Movie 12 and how they display his abilities. He doesn't talk, either, but you get more character from his malicious mischief than Broly's screaming tank.

Even if Broly was a million times better a character, he's still a bad character, because they kept bringing him back. Villains like Bojack and Hildegarn are disposable, but that's all they aspire to be. The Broly concept aspired to be more, which is what made its repeated failures all the worse. I'd rather have a throwaway villain who stays true to who they are than some deep lore villain who is hyped but isn't interesting at all. This is why Broly fails, because they tried to make something of nothing.

Honestly I’m not getting your complaints or problems. It’s all really just sounding like a “you” problem considering you take a pretty shallow character way too seriously.

I mean Broly has never been deep, EVER. Notice how all the movies never really went any deeper with his character because it’s all about the action. If Janemba were to get a triology they would have done the exact same, Hell that’s what happened to Cooler in his second movie. All flash, that’s what the movie villains are & I won’t hold it against Broly just cause he’s one of the few lucky enough to get a sizable fandom. If people like him, then people like him, accept it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:53 pm Reply with quote
That's exactly my point. They knew just to use Janemba and the like for only one movie, but even then, they made more of an impression on me in one movie than Broly did in three. They kept bringing Broly back. Super has all these wonderful new concepts and characters they could have chosen to be the next antagonist, but they went with BROLY.

Not Jiren. Not Toppo. Not one of the Gods of Destruction. Not Zeno. Broly again. They may as well have chosen Tao Pai Pai as the main villain at this point. At least Freeza has some charisma to him. Broly is just SMASH. I was hyped for a movie that was like Battle of Gods or Resurrection F, where they actually did something character wise. This? Just more action figures being smashed together like the other Broly movies.

Whether or not its Toriyama at the helm, Broly is a fundamentally broken concept, unless he's radically changed. And if he is, why even have the villain be Broly to start with?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
vgiannell5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:04 pm Reply with quote
So we finally get to see Vegeta turn into a red haired god form like Goku did.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:04 pm Reply with quote
^^ Because it’s what Toriyama wanted. He did some thought, someone recommended Broly on the basis of his existing popularity, watched the movies, & figured “Hey this guys fun, let’s see what I can do with him.”

Jiren’s story is done, Toppo’s story is done, we already had a God of Destruction movie, Resurrection F the less said the better cause of lack of care for that movie, Toriyama has moved on from them & is now inspired by Broly of the past. It’s what he wants to do, & if he can make an evil-Goku work then we have to give him the benefit of the doubt on bringing back Broly.

Besides nothing is a broken concept, Broly like every character has potential so stop singling him out as some unforgivable black mark on the franchise when he’s really not.

If your gonna whine about how much the movie is gonna suck solely on the basis Broly is gonna be in it, at least have the patience to wait till it’s out before doing anymore complaining.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Is this movie supposed to be canon like the past two films have been or is it some sort of movie-exclusive plot?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Why remove the sub trailer? some people prefer that. Broly looks dope here. I hate Freiza's dub so bad compared to Linda Young's version.

Yeah, I cannot take your comment seriously. All you do is whine and complain about "dubs" even though objectively speaking, like anime in and of itself, "dubs" aren't homogeneous and don't have a set quality. Voice acting isn't even the only thing that determines whether or not a dub is good. Having said that, Linda Young as Freeza is abysmal. Freeza is not a granny. Compared to Chris Ayres, whose performance of Freeza captures the hauty, refined and megalomaniac aspect of the character. Linda Young is just a granny with a raspy voice.

Don't see how you rag on "dubs" in general, but tolerate one of the worst voices in any dub.
T.Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:02 pm Reply with quote
For those complaining about Broly(I know I initially did). Just from the trailer, this is a whole new take on Broly from Akira himself, so lets wait and see before we start bashing this movie, just because of Broly.

Also Super Saiyan God Vegeta confirmed for the movie, so that's pretty rad.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:49 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
I am also wondering if its Damian Mills or Christopher Ayres voicing Frieza in the trailer. I know Damian Mills voiced Frieza last in Dragon Ball Fighterz, and they sound so much alike in the role that I can't tell the difference.

According to Chris Sabat's Twitter its Christopher Ayres.
we love lain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Why remove the sub trailer? some people prefer that. Broly looks dope here. I hate Freiza's dub so bad compared to Linda Young's version.

GAAAASP What travesty; Chris Ayres kills it as the pompous tyrannical space hitler; what are you going on about?
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:09 am Reply with quote
Art-wise, it does look like old-school Dragon Ball Z (I would say at least post-Freezer Saga), and the better parts of Dragon Ball Super. I hope they keep the CG at minimum this time.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:10 am Reply with quote
If there's anything to really complain about with this movie, it's that they're acknowledging the terrible Dragon Ball Minus manga with some of the flashbacks shown here.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:55 am Reply with quote
And yet, Broly will be defeated in the end by a mere... spoiler[SSJ1 Goku.]
aeris14

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:12 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Another person like me who prefers Linda Young.
aeris14

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:13 am Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
trunkschan90 wrote:
Is Vic reprising Broly? It's hard to tell since Broly only screams in the English dub trailer.

It doesn't sound like Vic in the trailer. I just watched the original Broly movies last week dubbed and Vic's screams are very distinct. That doesn't mean he won't voice Broly. It's possible they just couldn't get Vic to come in and do the trailer. I am also wondering if its Damian Mills or Christopher Ayres voicing Frieza in the trailer. I know Damian Mills voiced Frieza last in Dragon Ball Fighterz, and they sound so much alike in the role that I can't tell the difference.
Vic is indeed voicing him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3