• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Ghost in the Shell Anime Will Have 2 Seasons

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KandorLives

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I wish that Border 5 from Arise had gotten a proper release, and a dub. Never mind.
I'm excited for this new series too. Hopefully they develop a strong visual style for this show. Stand Alone Complex might have the best plot and character development (but by being longer than the other anime, it has an advantage) yet visually it can't compete with the movies. I prefer the manga designs too (which were wonderfully animated by Production IG in the PS1 game), and Arise was pretty slick. Though obviously a lot comes down to personal preference.
I hope that this new GitS is allowed to be a new version, exploring new ideas, like every other adaptation before it.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Ssssooo since Shinji Aramaki is directing part of this and some of Kamiyama's recent projects have been into it, is this gonna be 3D CG? Interest dropping like a rock if so.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:46 pm Reply with quote
The low ep. count and the immediate turnover are good sign that we will see a tight package. I hope for a radicel redesign of the franchise. I may have liked all anime versions so far but the tropes the show plays with are outdated with the rest of the sci-fi scene by nearly 2 decades. The whole universe should be pushed forward by a few decades, just like Cyberpunk 2077. Half the expected cast can´t really age after all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:02 am Reply with quote
I'm a simple woman, I see Kenji Kamiyama's name, I expect a 3rd gig.
Anything less will be a crushing disappointment (but I'll watch it anyway. /sigh.)
Shiflan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:28 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

I would also love another elaborate art-house Oshii movie too while they're at it. Though I understand that those are expensive and not so profitable... Sad

Amen to that! I'd love to see another Innocence.
I enjoy the TV series but I don't think they can hold a candle to the first two movies.

SAC was nice because of its length, but let's be real here: it did drag in places (one episode took place entirely in a 'chat room'!), and the fact that it is broken into episodes--each one needing to have conflict and resolution--hurts the storytelling a bit because it forces the pacing a bit. I see it as "GitS Light".
Shiflan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:43 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I hope for a radicel redesign of the franchise. I may have liked all anime versions so far but the tropes the show plays with are outdated with the rest of the sci-fi scene by nearly 2 decades. The whole universe should be pushed forward by a few decades, just like Cyberpunk 2077. Half the expected cast can´t really age after all.

That's an interesting point. I think you're right that a lot of the concepts are outdated, but I don't see that as a problem necessarily. Sometimes "genre fiction" is exactly what you want.

For example, if we look at another cyberpunk classic--Bubblegum Crisis/AD Police (the originals)--we can see all kinds of things that are comically out of date. Old-school telephones, supposedly advanced computers that still use huge CRT monitors (some of which are monochrome!), and so on. Clearly the shows are dated, especially for something meant to be futuristic. That said, they do have a classic aesthetic. And if you happen to like those kind of mechanical designs then it doesn't matter if the depiction is inaccurate or not. In other words, it doesn't have to be realistic to be artistic.

One could say the same about just about any kind of literature or art: People don't talk or write like Shakespeare anymore. Artists have long ago moved on from what the "old masters" were doing. Today's music has a different feel to that of previous decades. Current comic books differ greatly from the "golden age" classics....but that doesn't prevent us from holding those "dated" works in high regard.

Personally, I love the dated feel of a lot of the late 80's and early 90's cyberpunk OVAs. The fact that they are dated and unrealistic doesn't matter one bit, it's the aesthetic qualities and the nostalgia that I like. It's the same with some of the hollywood movies from that time that a lot of anime got inspired from as well, like Blade Runner or Streets of Fire.
MrSatyre

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Here's hoping these new series will pick up where the SAC series left off, and abandon the stunningly awful Arise alternative universe.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm very curious about what route they intend to go in terms of how much or how little SAC will influence this. I hope we at least get a seasoned Motoko again, like SAC.

donhumberto wrote:
Can't wait to get more info on this. Glad to hear it's going to be TV format

Yeah! 24 new episodes of Ghost in the Shell is great to look forward to. I'm curious how that split is going to effect things story wise.

Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
SAC was IMO the high water mark for this franchise.
Not that anything pre or post was particularly bad.. I just always wondered why more of SAC was never produced.

I didn't have a problem with Arise.. but I don't think it ever met the level of SAC.

From what I have read so far I like it.. let's be optimistic about it.

Yeah.

Agreed, Arise was fine and I generally enjoyed it as I was watching it (I think I remember 3 being the weakest to me and it's the one I remember the least of) and the Arise movie, but it's not near SAC level. I'm surprised Border 5 still hasn't gotten a US release + dub, like jdnation mentioned.

Yeah, I really like both Kamiyama and Aramaki so I'm hopeful these will be more memorable.

On that note, I hope we get a much more memorable soundtrack this time. Yoko Kanno set such a high bar, and Arise's music was way too understated, so much so that I didn't find any of it particularly memorable (including the boring OP) except for I think maybe one or two of the action tracks.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:56 pm Reply with quote
dannphou wrote:
Looking forward to more Ghost In The Shell!

Anyone know how much of the manga is left to be adapted? Or is it not a direct adaption, but just picking parts of the manga?

after the utter and absolute mess that was the scarjo's debacle, they better FULLY adapt the manga to show those dumbass hollywood elitists on how to PROPERLY ADAPT a series!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
joetron2030

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:33 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
It sucks missing it for those of us who buy physically. And episode 5 is necessary and not a negligible part of the whole story. Confused

Did Japan get a BD/DVD version of the Alternative Architecture version of Arise or has it only aired on TV? I could only see disc 5 getting released by Funimation if they licensed Alternative Architecture for the US/NA market.

I'm glad I sought out and bought a region free copy of Arise 5 on BD. Not surprising since I also bought the Arise series as it was getting released in Japan and not the two-episodes per disc release that Funimation put out.

Definitely looking forward to new GitS series to consume. I love all versions of GitS.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2