• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Times Western Music Invaded Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Honorable mention should go to the opening animation for 1983's Daicon IV using ELO's songs, "Prologue" and "Twilight".
David B. Rockin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I like the new poll. I'd choose either the guy from Kaikan Phrase or Koyuki from Beck.
I still need to watch Kaikan Phrase,I might start a watchalong with some friends.

I still can't believe that the son and daughter of Paul rogers (Bad Comapany,Free) are members of Boa. Jasmine Rogers should become the new lead singer of The Cranberries.

Don't forget Keith Emerson's music that was featured in a movie....
I'd love to see a anime series about a prog rock band.

I'd also love to see more anime adaptations based on music manga stories like focusing on a band and their hardships in the music industry.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote
L/R: Licensed by Royalty had "Go Where No Ones Gone Before" by Billy Preston (one of the many aka "The Fifth Beatle") for its OP. Western music is also a bit more "invasive" in this anime, chock full of other Beatles references, from the main and some side characters' names to paraphrased quotes in the dialog.

For the poll I had to go with Johannes Krauser II, but I'm still thinking about Hellshake Yanno...
curtisd88

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:31 pm Reply with quote
"The Light Before We Land" by The Delgados was the OP for the first season of Gunslinger Girl. That was a very memorable track for me.
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Seeing the article headline, I automatically started wondering if EDEN OF THE EAST would be listed (because I'm a huge Noel Gallagher fan) as well as GUNSLINGER GIRL.

THE LIGHT BEFORE WE LAND is an absolutely beautiful song and it's use as a OP introduced me to the band. WOKE FROM DREAMING is another absolutely beautiful song from the band that was used in episodes. I understand why these weren't included because they aren't exactly as big of names as the ones that made the list but should definitely be honorable mentions... as others have beat me to bringing up The Delgados.

GUNSLINGER was one of my first anime I really feel in love with. I loved the songs so much, I tracked down and ordered the CD (Hate) that included both songs. Hell, I even ordered the record of that album although it's not a quality release.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:56 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Not exactly my (or anyone's) favorite artist, but Maison Ikkoku had that one episode that used Gilbert O'Sullivan songs for the opening and ending, going back in the following episodes to the previous opening and ending. I'm pretty sure those songs didn't make non-Japanese releases.

Yes, I opened up the article thinking, "Yeah, yeah, we know, Maison/'Alone Again' for #1..."
Although the lyrics do seem to be almost uncannily WRITTEN for Godai's world.

And the list seems to be for credit songs, so no need to repost Dragon Half's version of Beethoven's 7th one more time. Wink
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This opening sequence got me really obsessed with BoA in middle school and also really annoyed that the British indie group shared its name with a very popular K-pop singer at the time.

Yeah, I remember getting really upset that people were "mislabeling" K-pop songs as BoA on Napster. Laughing Ended up importing one of their CDs, and playing it into the ground on my Discman.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:14 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Not exactly my (or anyone's) favorite artist, but Maison Ikkoku had that one episode that used Gilbert O'Sullivan songs for the opening and ending, going back in the following episodes to the previous opening and ending. I'm pretty sure those songs didn't make non-Japanese releases.

The Viz DVD box sets I bought some time in the noughties did include both the Gilbert O'Sullivan songs on the episode that used them.

The first series of Mushishi used "The Sore Feet Song" by Ally Kerr as the OP, but praise must be given to the second season OP "Shiver" by Lucy Rose, I watched the first episode of the second series, and immediately afterwards went on a fruit-based music buying online shop and bought the album that track featured on.

Jasmine Rodgers also did an ED for the second season of Classicaloid.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I recall that Hanada Shounen-shi opened _and_ closed to Backstreet Boys music.
DRWii

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The English language release of Speed Grapher does not include its original opening theme song due to licensing costs. It's not a huge loss aesthetically to the sequence. Yes, the start of the opening was timed intentionally to match up with the shutter sounds from the song, but otherwise the rest of the OP is one of those series clip-show style sequences.

I'm pretty sure that OP was just thrown together for the earlier episodes of the TV version because they hadn't actually finished it. This is the actual OP that was made with Girls on Film in mind.
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Krauser on the poll is from detroit METAL city, not detroit rock city. totally different things Smile

falling down is one of my go to karaoke songs when i can't do japanese songs
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:28 pm Reply with quote
How about Classical Music?

Besides its obvious prominence in shows like Classicaloid and Your Lie in April, there's plenty of times where Western classical music has shown up prominently:

The first Legend of the Galactic Heroes film opens with the first movement of Mahler's Third Symphony, and has an entire space battle set to Ravel's Bolero. Piano music by Beethoven, Liszt, Chopin, Mozart, and others are also heard throughout the series.

Arcadia of My Youth opens with the first movement of Dvorak's 9th Symphony ("From the New World" Symphony), and also later features excerpts from Ravel's Pavane for a Dead Princess.

Neon Genesis Evangelion used the "Ode to Joy" (4th Movement) portion of Beethoven's 9th Symphony in one of the later episodes. (Side note: Not classical, but the ending theme for NGE is a cover of Frank Sinatra's "Fly Me To the Moon")

Mozart's Requiem shows up in Hunter x Hunter, somewhere around episode #50.

And of course, Gilbert and Sullivan showed up in Maison Ikkoku (as others have already mentioned). I also remember encountering Verdi's Requiem somewhere in an anime, but for the life of me I can't remember where.

Almost certainly, these are just scratching the surface. The Japanese have a particular fondness for Western classical music, so its no surprise it would show up in anime.

David B. Rockin wrote:
Don't forget Keith Emerson's music that was featured in a movie....

That movie was Harmagedon (aka, Genma Taisen).

Come to think of it, both of the opening songs for Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam used music originally written by Paul Anka, though the Japanese lyrics themselves were original to the series. That's the reason why MSZG's original themes are not used on the Western DVD and Blu Ray releases, because Bandai & Sunrise didn't want to pay the high fee Paul Anka demanded for their license outside of Japan. The music portion of both songs were previously released on two of Anka's albums in the early 1970s.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:55 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:

The first Legend of the Galactic Heroes film opens with the first movement of Mahler's Third Symphony, and has an entire space battle set to Ravel's Bolero. Piano music by Beethoven, Liszt, Chopin, Mozart, and others are also heard throughout the series.

Arcadia of My Youth opens with the first movement of Dvorak's 9th Symphony ("From the New World" Symphony), and also later features excerpts from Ravel's Pavane for a Dead Princess.

LOGH is essentially one long love letter to classical music. It's like a who's who of the greatest Western composers of all time. Befitting its subject matter, Princess Tutu was another series jam-packed with classical selections, with Tchaikovsky's ballets obviously getting top billing.

And yeah, anime as a whole seems to have a love affair with Dvorak. I've heard the second movement of "From the New World" pop up in a number of places, with a particularly-notable usage in the series that shares its name. And the fourth movement's legendary opening accompanies one of the greatest fight climaxes in the entirety of One Piece at the end of the Alabasta arc.

I know the list focused on OPs/EDs, but there are some notable Western insert songs out there too. Props to whoever mentioned the chilling use of "Be My Baby" in Monster. One incredible usage that's always stuck with me was from BECK: Koyuki's climactic performance of spoiler[The Beatles' "I've Got a Feeling"]. It's this amazing crowning moment of awesome. Unsurprisingly, FUNi wasn't able to use the original lyrics in the dub, because lord knows how much that would have run them: they had to write original lyrics to go along with the existing melody.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:54 am Reply with quote
The Ray Charles version of "I Can't Stop Loving You" was used at the end of the anime movie Metropolis.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:12 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Texhnolyze's opening was Juno Reactor's "Guardian Angel"

B: the Beginning's ending theme might also qualify.

On B: the Beginning's case, the guitarist in indeed a westerner (jewish american guitarist Marty Friedman, of, among others, Megadeth fame), but he's been living and making a career, and essentially being a celebrity in Japan since 2003. As for the vocalist in the song, he's one of the guys from MAN WITH A MISSION, a japanese band... even if his english is good.

I would like to mention that the Hellsing TV anime had the Mr. Big song Shine, I think.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4