• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yamaha Will Release New Record Players After 27 Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiflan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:13 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

In that case no... but that case is extreme audiophile hyperbole. In a case based at least somewhat in reality, yes.

I admit there might be some degree of hyperbole with my comparison but I think it's generally valid. "Extreme Audiophile"? not even close. Most audiophiles wouldnt' touch a $500 turntable. They spend more than that on cables. You can easily spend $10k on an "audiophile" model turntable. Some brands add another zero. If we're talking "extreme audiophile" then we're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of gear....and that's clearly not what we are discussing here. I'd say that is the bigger hyperbole in our discussion.

Quote:
Your whole argument is hinged on the idea that streaming services provide unlistenable audio quality at best so why would anyone want that? Duh, nobody would want that and it's why to product isn't even remotely like that!

My example wasn't intended to convey "unlistenable" or "unwatchable". It was meant to convey "nowhere near as good as it could be". We can spit hairs about whether 480p is a better example if you want, but I think the point still stands.

Quote:
Plus, I said people with a music fetish (I should have used audiophile, but I went for something more colorful) would love this.

That's wrong though. An Audiophile wouldn't love it. They'd look down on it as not being good enough.

Quote:
You've implied that streaming audio is tied to poor quality systems/speakers and vinyl is tied to high quality speakers/sound systems. This isn't true and it colors the analogy.

That's exactly what I implied, yes. You are correct that there's no problem with streaming when hooked up to a nice amplifier and nice speakers, but let's be real here: hardly anyone does that. When the average person streams, they are listening on their phone speaker, a portable bluetooth speaker, the speakers in their TV, or headphones: usually cheap ones, but maybe something like Beats by Dre. Comparing that sort of thing with even a modest turntable connected to a decent amp and decent speakers is indeed like comparing 200p video with 4k. Perhaps I should have made it more clear that I wasn't talking about streaming itself, but rather "streaming in the manner that most people use it"? I did state in my post that the turntable was pointless if they simply wirelessed the data to their phone or other low-end speaker.

Quote:
Audio isn't like video where it's really just the TV and you're good. You need way more parts. To keep up the analogies, you can't stream something to a less than SD TV then watch a blu-ray on a 4k TV and be like it being streamed was the source of all the woes as opposed to that garbage ass sub SD TV you watched.

Agreed 100%. I figured that was obvious so I didn't mention it.

Quote:
A better analogy is that it's like streaming Netflix in HD on your tv or watching a blu-ray on that same TV. There are videophiles who will make that case that everything on Netflix, Amazon, Google Play etc is like the 8-bit/22kHZ of video too. They come of just as fringe as people saying every music streaming platforms maxes out at being the 200p of audio.

I don't think that analogy works well because most people stream music with crappy speakers, whereas anyone who would buy even a modest turntable is probably using much better speakers. If you want to make the point that it's not "streaming" that's the problem, rather it's the rest of the equipment then I agree with you completely....it's just that I think the two are very strongly correlated.

If you take someone used to listening to music on a phone, ordinary PC/TV speakers, or a bluetooth speaker and sit them down in front of a turntable & a modest set of real speakers their minds will be blown, no different than taking someone used to watching video on VHS and then sitting them in front of a modern 4K TV screen.

This turntable is nowhere near crazy audiophile prices. I don't see how it's any different than people buying a nice modern TV for watching movies, or building a fancy PC for gaming. It's a similar level of expense. Heck, the turntable plus a similar quality amp and speakers is no different than the cost of a nice modern TV or a nice but not crazy gaming rig. Clearly it's an "enthusiast" expense but it's nowhere near the level of "extreme audiophile" madness.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2