• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sword Art Online: Alicization

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:07 am Reply with quote
crazytoledo wrote:
You do realize how many series air in some form of a censored format overseas with the fully uncensored version not made available until the home video release? Besides having to censor it to air, it also incentivizes people buying the media when it's released. This happens for so many shows and is almost never an issue.

We're not talking about censoring for BDs though. What we're talking about here is there are versions of the episode which aired in Japan and streamed on a European streaming service. They exist in the present time, before the Blu-Ray has been released. It doesn't matter if Crunchyroll was given a censored version or they did it themselves. It's no different when an American home release uses the censored version of a show because that's what the Japanese side gave them (happened to Funimation numerous times) or it's just your typical censored 4Kids-style release. The whole point of mentioning it is to inform the customer.
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
At least in this case, anime-only viewers had forewarning, as the episode started with a content warning akin to the one that preceded Goblin Slayer.

Hulu had no such warning. Which reminds me, why do you only mention that it's streaming on CR at the end?

Quote:
The blood spurting from multiple arm severings makes this by far the goriest episode of the franchise to date, with extensive censoring throughout.

This was censored too?!? I just watched the scenes again and I can guess how/where but I didn't even consider this was censored because there's just so much blood shown still! This censorship is just stupid and pointless

All censorship is vile and should never happen. I don't like seeing disgusting things but statements like "That scene is intense enough and effective enough that we don't need whatever else the more explicit version offers" make me raise an eyebrow. We can't just cover our eyes to everything that's awful. It's far better to face it than it is to hide from it.

Last edited by Takizawa-Shinzou on Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:34 am; edited 4 times in total
scrwbll19

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:14 am Reply with quote
I just wonder why Kawahara Reki seems to have a thing for putting his female characters into sexual assault situations. While two incidents does not make a trend or a pattern, it certainly is necessary to start one. There are other ways to make villains be more easily hated. The only other reasons that I can think of is that he has personal connection to sexual assault and wants to raise awareness of the issue, or he is using it to try to communicate some other issue that he feels strongly about. If it is the former, I would think that he would have a bit more tact. If it is the latter, I still think he should have more tact.
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:17 am Reply with quote
scrwbll19 wrote:
I just wonder why Kawahara Reki seems to have a thing for putting his female characters into sexual assault situations. While two incidents does not make a trend or a pattern, it certainly is necessary to start one. There are other ways to make villains be more easily hated. The only other reasons that I can think of is that he has personal connection to sexual assault and wants to raise awareness of the issue, or he is using it to try to communicate some other issue that he feels strongly about. If it is the former, I would think that he would have a bit more tact. If it is the latter, I still think he should have more tact.

Can you give an example of how he could've done it more tactfully? Less tongue? I'm just glad it didn't end up actually being full-on RAPE. I'm glad Eugeo managed to break free in time and that Kirito showed up when he did. I'm having a hard time thinking of a more "Tactful" way of doing this. Sexual assault is vile. They could've done it more realistically (less cliche villains). But if they did that then the girls would've been raped long before the heroes got there.
scrwbll19

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:28 am Reply with quote
(Disclaimer: I am not this far in the books.) From what I have seen elsewhere, they had to tone down the graphic nature of the sexual assault in the anime compared to the source material. In other words, this kind of thing becomes better for shock value than for having some sensitivity to actual victims of sexual assault and rape. Kawahara did not have to be so explicit about it to get the point across that these guys are creeps who have basically forfeited their right to life. It can be mentioned in passing instead, for instance. Or, he could have Eugeo and Kirito get there before it is a thing in the first place. Perhaps, he could just be a better writer who knows how to write a better plot and characters so that he does not have to resort to sexual assault to rile up his audience.

Frankly, for all of the people whining about "Goblin Slayer" ep. 1's edginess, this episode easily outstrips that by miles.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:59 am Reply with quote
scrwbll19 wrote:
(Disclaimer: I am not this far in the books.) From what I have seen elsewhere, they had to tone down the graphic nature of the sexual assault in the anime compared to the source material. In other words, this kind of thing becomes better for shock value than for having some sensitivity to actual victims of sexual assault and rape. Kawahara did not have to be so explicit about it to get the point across that these guys are creeps who have basically forfeited their right to life. It can be mentioned in passing instead, for instance. Or, he could have Eugeo and Kirito get there before it is a thing in the first place. Perhaps, he could just be a better writer who knows how to write a better plot and characters so that he does not have to resort to sexual assault to rile up his audience.

Frankly, for all of the people whining about "Goblin Slayer" ep. 1's edginess, this episode easily outstrips that by miles.

Kawahara actually apologized to the voiceactresses for the scene today as well and explained why he wrote it. Basically it's since this stuff was written over a decade ago and that was the 'in thing' then for LN's back then and if he was writing it now he'd have not done that.
TexZero

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:40 am Reply with quote
scrwbll19 wrote:

Two ?

Asuna, Shinon and these 3 "digital girls".

I mean if we're not counting them because they are digital then sure, two is the correct math. But the number of incidents is just slightly above that....

Either way, this content is fine to have and i'm getting quite tired of people taking to the extreme of saying we should censor something they don't like because reasons. These things happen in the real world all the time and if our only excuse was to never recall it and never use it to tell a story then we as a society would never grow or learn from it. The scenes are there to make you uncomfortable and this sequence of events does that just fine.
S0crates

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:06 am Reply with quote
Ashley Hakker wrote:
Chester McCool wrote:
JacobC wrote:
. So no, Crunchyroll is not censoring your anime, and people can stop conspiracy theorizing about that just because they don't want to pay for anime.

Which... doesn't change the fact the Crunchyroll version is censored and if you want to see the original you have to watch it through other means.

Calling any version of the episode at this point 'The Original' is a disingenuous statement. They are all variations produced and released concurrently. None of these versions is in any way more or less 'original' than the other.

Well, I was one of those who linked the raw and edited versions (Ok terms?) side by side (from a twitter user who did/made it), I don't know if more did the same. (Someone mentioned that people who spreads such information do it to justify their piracy, and I just want to make it clear that I'm no pirate nor support piracy (I even sub to Crunchyroll which was mentioned particularly). The fact that I subscribe to ANN alone would perhaps be a pretty clear statement of that, but I digress.)

So, if/when you look at the raw material, then the scenes removed was replaced with zoomed in shots (not showing details) and still images. To make it short without having to link to the video again, what was removed from the raw version was scenes of them licking the girls skin creepily, licking in certain locations, punching and physically abusing them and scenes of them tearing off clothes exposing what's underneath (only underwear, no nudity). It's pretty minor stuff, but the raw version were clearly more detailed as it included more scenes (as an example, the scenes where one of the girl got punched was replaced by a prolonged "mad face on repeat" on Eugeo).

That said, as one of the editors mentions earlier, there might be more agenda's out there than censoring, like wanting exclusivity of content (or other reasons which makes that particular topic speculation, as many (perhaps including myself) just assume it's censorship these days). Considering "Wakanim" (in Europe) showed the raw version, I find all this information interesting (thanks for mentioning that mr. editor). As several people have pointed out, there is a raw and edited version, and it would perhaps be a news worthy story to figure out why that has happened as people clearly seems interested, considering this reply forums to SAO has increased from 4 to 6 pages over a 1 day period.

At the very least it is funny to discuss it, even if some opinions or assumptions are wrong, and these forums open for the public are hardly the go to place for solid journalism. People commenting here are just regular people (and gossiping about things like this is a way to figure out what is correct if anything). The only thing we shouldn't be allowed is to question is if Asuna is best waifu (She is, I'll Fite You!)!
Rosiero

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:18 am Reply with quote
Personally, I sort of feel like the scene being censored is an admission by the staff that the scene goes too far. I think the censored version is still awful, mind you. And even if weren't directed in such a goofy, gratuitous way, I still don't know what it's doing in this show.
青白

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:01 am Reply with quote
Hey I just realized, Alice Synthesis Thirty means that Alice is the thirtieth individual in the Underworld to overcome the taboo index. They actually collect such individuals rather than executing them like they said at the first episode.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:35 am Reply with quote
scrwbll19 wrote:

Is not just Kawahara Reki, Many other Japanese authors of manga and LN use the sexual assault and other kinds of situations were the purity of the female characters are in danger for shock effect.
It probably happens because of the relationship Japanese people have with purity and first times situations (first kiss, first sexual experience). Nothing will make the Japanese audience more mad than somebody else other than the MC be the first.

Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
Can you give an example of how he could've done it more tactfully? Less tongue? I'm just glad it didn't end up actually being full-on RAPE. I'm glad Eugeo managed to break free in time and that Kirito showed up when he did. I'm having a hard time thinking of a more "Tactful" way of doing this. Sexual assault is vile. They could've done it more realistically (less cliche villains). But if they did that then the girls would've been raped long before the heroes got there.

Well, you probably have to give thanks to Kawahara Reki because on the WN, spoiler[they were raped before Eugeo got there.]
But the scene have more impact this way, Is great that Kawahara Reki changed this scene. Even if the scene is disgusting, shows how extreme situation they have to presence to be able to break the code.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:31 am; edited 4 times in total
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:46 am Reply with quote
Rosiero wrote:
Personally, I sort of feel like the scene being censored is an admission by the staff that the scene goes too far.

Kawahara publicly apologizing to Ronie and Tieze's actresses for the scene and explaining why he constantly used the same plot device to drum up pathos also feels like a pretty explicit recognition that there were probably better ways to get the emotional response he wanted, and to push his MCs into breaking some taboos.

Really, good on Kawahara for doing that. Not something I would've ever expected.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:55 am Reply with quote
青白 wrote:
Hey I just realized, Alice Synthesis Thirty means that Alice is the thirtieth individual in the Underworld to overcome the taboo index. They actually collect such individuals rather than executing them like they said at the first episode.

You shouldn't have to wait more than 2-3 episodes to find out whether your supposition on this is correct or not.

Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
Sexual assault is vile. They could've done it more realistically (less cliche villains). But if they did that then the girls would've been raped long before the heroes got there.

Not necessarily. My impression both when I read the original novel and when I watched this episode was that the nobles hadn't touched the girls yet (despite ample time) because they were were waiting until Eugeo and/or Kirito got there so they could rub their helplessness to stop it in the heroes' faces.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:18 am Reply with quote
Rosiero wrote:
Personally, I sort of feel like the scene being censored is an admission by the staff that the scene goes too far.
That type of censorship has to be done with any R rated movie that is aired on broadcast TV so that has more to do with broadcast regulations. The moderately censored version of SAO Alicization episode 10 was broadcast on several free terrestrial channels in Japan and the uncensored version is on a streaming service in France, Germany, and the UK. I don't mind the heavily censored version being provided for people who want it but I think people have reason to complain about only getting the heavily censored version in North America.
crazytoledo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
crazytoledo wrote:
You do realize how many series air in some form of a censored format overseas with the fully uncensored version not made available until the home video release? Besides having to censor it to air, it also incentivizes people buying the media when it's released. This happens for so many shows and is almost never an issue.

We're not talking about censoring for BDs though. What we're talking about here is there are versions of the episode which aired in Japan and streamed on a European streaming service. They exist in the present time, before the Blu-Ray has been released. It doesn't matter if Crunchyroll was given a censored version or they did it themselves. It's no different when an American home release uses the censored version of a show because that's what the Japanese side gave them (happened to Funimation numerous times) or it's just your typical censored 4Kids-style release. The whole point of mentioning it is to inform the customer.

The problem here is if you dig around on Twitter, Reddit or whatever social media you prefer...this is being spun as Crunchyroll being the company that censored the scene. They did not. And they only stream what they are provided with.

So if someone is that upset about the episode being censored, instead of lying and creating fake outrage towards Crunchyroll they should be pointing the finger at Aniplex here, since they control what version is available.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 13