• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Release the Spyce

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm still not satisfied with how “little” yuri is in such a potential yuri bait show, but it seems that the seventh episode is on the right direction. In any case, the animation and action are still good enough for me to retain interest in further watching after the very boring sixth episode.

tsukumiyomi wrote:
So now "daisuki" means "adore" instead of "love" dumb subbers, dumb HIDIVE, can someone better pick up this show? Or at least fix the subs for this episode, this show doesn't deserve this.

In this case, everything depends on the context, as well as “suki” can mean both “love” and “like”. Considering that we are talking about the obvious yuri-ish show, it is possible that the translators were afraid of too ambiguous implications. Could you clarify which scene is being discussed?
tsukumiyomi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:33 am Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:

In this case, everything depends on the context, as well as “suki” can mean both “love” and “like”. Considering that we are talking about the obvious yuri-ish show, it is possible that the translators were afraid of too ambiguous implications. Could you clarify which scene is being discussed?

It was daisuki, not just suki. And it was what Hatsume said to break Goe from her trance, building up from everything else she was saying before, translating it as "adore" is wrong, "love" is the most neutral translation of that word and the translator should let the audience decide what kind of love it means, not purposely tone it down with a mistranlation because of personal bias.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:38 pm Reply with quote
tsukumiyomi wrote:
#HayamiLover wrote:

It was daisuki, not just suki. And it was what Hatsume said to break Goe from her trance, building up from everything else she was saying before, translating it as "adore" is wrong, "love" is the most neutral translation of that word and the translator should let the audience decide what kind of love it means, not purposely tone it down with a mistranlation because of personal bias.

I know perfectly well what "daisuki" means and unlike "suki" this word is almost not used in romantic confessions. This word is more often used for the general expression of love in a platonic sense, for example, between relatives, children, close friends, etc. Moreover, the heroine uses this word in the open "you are my best friend" speech.

I understand very well why would you want to keep ambiguity and “love very much” would really be a better option, but do not forget that your desire to see these two as a ship is also a personal bias. In any case, I think that in the episode there was enough “friendly” jealousy for shiping, so as not to be nervous about such trifles.
Zof

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
For me this show is a delightful slice of life affair that rewards you with amazing fight scenes. I like that the girls have to work hard and don't have things handed to them. I like how it's nice and light then suddenly the stakes are through the roof. And damn, I'd put that Goemon fight scene up against the Accelerator fight in the last episode of Index.
LegendAqua

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:39 pm Reply with quote
With another backstory of one of the Tsukikage...It's becoming more and more that it's Momo or Yuki which I've had my own suspicions for a while.

I'm giving Release the Spyce staff the benefit of the doubt that it's either Momo or Yuki as if it's Katrina then it's just the typical "minor character with little screentime is the traitor" and that would break and anti-climax the mystery by giving us VERY little to who the traitor is, that's kinda why I'm pushing for Momo or Yuki to be the traitor as that would be VERY surprising and having the developed main cast would have to deal with their leader or the newcomer to be the traitor all along.

Also...finally the Boss of Moryo shows her face....hmmmmm I know this is past the halfway point but is there any reasoning to show her face to us now?...is this a red herring or is this "her"...I'm getting paranoia by this point all because of the traitor.

Nonetheless a good episode focusing on Goemon and showing off how dangerous the quiet shy ninja really is.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Whenever I let my guard down, the soundtrack sneaks up on me from behind and hits me with odd yet curiously catchy beats.

Episode 7 was good, if really self contained.... Freebird, I knew I recognized that scene from something and it really explains the song and extensive drum solo. Kingsman strikes again as it would seem though the RPG was a really nice touch as it's not the usual sort of RPG you see in anime these days.

But as we get to few and fewer episodes left, I start to wonder if the show is building up to something or if its just kicking up a lot of dust.
Zof

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:34 am Reply with quote
Sometimes when I'm watching a show (but more often when I'm in a manga) I suddenly get overwhelmed with this sense that somebody lonely created a world for themselves and put the kind of friends they wish they had in that world. There's something very beautiful about that.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:40 am Reply with quote
I really like this show so far. It feels like a more "chipper" Princess Principal, so I'm definitely a fan.

My only gripe is that the little mascot animals serve 0 purpose and are never used in-show … I actually forgot about them, and then when I saw them included with the Nendoroid figures they've teased, I was like "Oh yeah!" Definitely weird merchandising yet otherwise pointless decision there.
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been able to check it out but apparently they changed the subs to say love now for ep7. If true good job hidive.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:05 pm Reply with quote
It does - it was like that when I watched it earlier this week.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:47 pm Reply with quote
pharmboy23 wrote:

So, people complained and they listened to the audience? Wow.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed episode 8 even if it didn't move the over plot at all. The "Dr No" like vibe, especially with the fake snake, amused me a lot more than it should have and "viking girl" had something no other Bond girl ever had, a horned helmet.
Yeah baby, she was the horny one there... I've taken a viking to that girl... Did anyone else think her voice was a little Norse though?
"Are we done here?" "Yeah, we're done here."
TG72

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering if the former spies go through some sort of withdrawal when the spyce loses its effect. Maybe a few of them, say Katrina, have become bitter and turned on Tsukikage (and that could also be true for "Sparrow Woman").
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
a friend of mine got her Masters studying Norse culture, so I would be remiss if I didn't inform folks that, unfortunately, real Norse warriors probably never wore those nifty horned helmets. The more you know!

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Laughing So you actually brought this fact up. I was aware of this and thought about pointing this out. I change my mind at some point but it looks like either way I did not needed to share that information.

Yeah it's as the boss of the Nirai Kanai syndicate said. She is a wannabe viking, and while I would think that given her passion of those people (as well as her relative who told her this) she would know that the viking did not wear horn helmets on a daily basis I still admire her passion for the subject (also I am descended of vikings to according to a DNA test I took a couple of years ago). Plus, for me personally, I think she's is hot. ^///^

Quote:
Yuki also seems to be losing her affinity for the superhuman boost provided by the spice, which ties directly into her emotional confrontation with Momo late in the episode. Our plucky pink go-getter is proud to have taken on the villain of the week all on her own, but Yuki tempers Momo's enthusiasm with a sharp slap to the face. Despite the fact that Momo technically disobeyed orders again to take on the snake man, she also proved her own capabilities when she won the fight without needing any help. When Yuki punishes her, it feels like the first time we've seen her truly lose her cool, because her admonitions over Momo disregarding her safety are clearly coming from Yuki's own anxieties about losing her place in the Tsukikage.

Interesting that you see it that way. For me I saw Yuki anger toward Momo was due to her being scare for a moment that she almost lost Momo who she has grown close to as well as bringing up something that happen in the past with her. I was thinking during that scene that perhaps in Yuki mysterious past there was someone she was close to who she lost at some point (perhaps tying into why she lost one of her eyes) and that Momo might have remind her of that person in some way.

Well we'll find out what it is that really trigger Yuki later today.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Zof

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:02 am Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
pharmboy23 wrote:

So, people complained and they listened to the audience? Wow.

I pointed out a configuration error on HiDive's page after they came out of maintenance on Twitter. They had it fixed in roughly 2 minutes. They are very on the ball socially.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6