• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Adds Content Warning to Goblin Slayer 1st Ep

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Look, I know some feel that this might not be necessary or we're coddling a "certain" group of people but "anime" has always had to have some type of rating on it to let people know who should be watching and who shouldn't. But never much of a disclaimer. Even TV shows here have disclaimers but they don't go into detail.

But here's the problem I have with this whole thing as I write this. We're having a problem with a "scene" but yet no body said much about scenes in GOT, or Devilman Crybaby. Let's not forget about 'Berserk'. Hentai doesn't really count because it's marked accordingly and there are tons of "rape" that pops up there and no one never bothered. It's target audience is adults. So are people not mature enough to handle mature content? Even if we marked it giving it a disclaimer will that be enough?
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll probably should implement an age ratings system into their website. It wouldn't stop the demands for censorship from people who want all anime shows to be family friendly but it isn't that hard to do.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
Content warnings are fair. I personally have an issue when they get so specific that they spoil stuff within the episode, but that isn't a problem with Goblin Slayer.

Agreed on both points. Warnings are a bit annoying but I don't really care so long as they don't spoil anything.

Quote:
I can't help but be amused that people went into a show called "Goblin Slayer" and expected a non-dark show (not expecting that scene is a bit more understandable though). The existence of Slayers is kind of a weak argument. I guess it just shows how much we too have underestimated goblins.

I do disagree with that comment though. Anime titles are infamous for often having nothing whatsoever to do with the content of the show, both as far as the plot is concerned, and in terms of content that some people might dislike or find offensive. Bubblegum Crisis, anybody? Looking at Goblin Slayer I expect a fantasy show that involves adventurers killing goblins, but I have no idea if it is going to be humorous and lighthearted (like, say, Danmachi or Konosuba) or if it's going to be dark and serious.

And the art style from preview images or the cover of a disc package doesn't provide much information either. I.e. Madoka Magica, Made in Abyss, Happy Sugar Life...

Last edited by Shiflan on Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Hulu does the same thing. As long as the final product remains uncensored, warning people is a perfectly reasonable measure. “You saw the sign, going forward you lose all rights to complain.”
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Let's not forget about 'Berserk'.

Berserk (the newest version) has a warning on Crunchyroll. Game of Thrones on HBO airs with a "TV-MA" rating AND content warnings like "violence, graphic violence, adult language, nudity, adult content, and strong sexual content". Which warnings appear depends on the episode.

Devilman crybaby is on Netflix with a "TV MA" rating.

It's possible complaints weren't made about the above shows because all of them already had warnings (or in Berserk's case, one was added).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
TheOtakuX wrote:
BottyProductio1 wrote:
TheOtakuX wrote:
I am very much against adding warnings

Well, you want your kid to wind up watching this by accident?

Also, there's ratings for everything really.

I'll happily show my son the show.

Huh? Do you even have a child? I feel like I need to call Child Protective Services on you. Because your perspective really changes once you have a child & you’d want to protect them as much as possible. Letting them experience this kind of violence among other things in this show can affect the child in many ways.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Crunchyroll probably should implement an age ratings system into their website. It wouldn't stop the demands for censorship from people who want all anime shows to be family friendly but it isn't that hard to do.

They already have one -- if you go into account settings, under Video Preferences there's an option for a mature content filter. I'm guessing most people turn it off when they set up their account and never think of it again.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll shouldn't hold this type of content on their website, period!!! Already cancelled my and my family's subscription!
Shiflan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Paulo27 wrote:
Crunchyroll shouldn't hold this type of content on their website, period!!! Already cancelled my and my family's subscription!

What's so hard about simply not watching a program if you find it offensive? I don't want the library shut down just because some of the books within aren't to my tastes. I completely understand if you don't want to watch this, or any other show for that matter. But what's the point in canceling your subscription over it? Just wait until your favorite program is hard to find because someone else found it offensive and complained.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:47 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Let's not forget about 'Berserk'.

Berserk (the newest version) has a warning on Crunchyroll. Game of Thrones on HBO airs with a "TV-MA" rating AND content warnings like "violence, graphic violence, adult language, nudity, adult content, and strong sexual content". Which warnings appear depends on the episode.

Devilman crybaby is on Netflix with a "TV MA" rating.

It's possible complaints weren't made about the above shows because all of them already had warnings (or in Berserk's case, one was added).

Thanks for giving me that info.

Yes, in the case with GOT, if it has all those disclaimers then that should've been enough to know what to expect. Yet some still complained about just to complain about it (and they have that right) but the disclaimer was there.

But yes, those titles I mentioned I know that they have ratings on them because over the last few decades shows on cable or any service have to have disclaimers on them. And that has been case. Oh I wasn't thinking so much about the new Berserk, I was thinking of the older series and books. At that time we weren't talking much about those being rated but you knew the content was MA.

I just hope that no one is digging for something. But if this was a MA show then it should've been tagged. But I worry that going forward we do this it might end up being something else. So let's keep our eyes on this and going forward all shows that have mature content are marked as such.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:

That is long overdue! I'm surprised that no country I know of tackled age restrictions on streaming platforms. How is that possible that UK has an official video rating body and showing an age-restricted content to a person younger than the minimum age is a criminal offence yet streaming gets a free pass?
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
TheOtakuX wrote:
BottyProductio1 wrote:
TheOtakuX wrote:
I am very much against adding warnings

Well, you want your kid to wind up watching this by accident?

Also, there's ratings for everything really.

I'll happily show my son the show.

Huh? Do you even have a child? I feel like I need to call Child Protective Services on you. Because your perspective really changes once you have a child & you’d want to protect them as much as possible. Letting them experience this kind of violence among other things in this show can affect the child in many ways.

I mean, if his son is 13, that's very different from if he's 7.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
Trigger warnings have now reached anime.

Is this the part where I get to make a joke about people getting triggered by the presence of trigger warnings? Because it really is ironic how the people most desensitized to horror and violence apparently get upset over the phrase "viewer discretion is advised."

The age-rating systems for Western movies and video games have plenty of their own issues--like being run by a secret group of people who are often sexist and/or fundamentalist Christians--but anime has nothing of the sort, so practically everything besides Ghibli movies is unrated. I get that not knowing what you're getting into is part of the fun of it, but unexpected violent rape scenes, for many people, are less "fun" and more "time to reallocate some of my anime budget to therapy sessions." I'd argue that we need very specific content warnings for that type of thing, and/or an option in your account to hide/label shows in that category.

...also the concept of Goblin Slayer sounds pretty misogynistic, so I don't really understand the impulse to defend it, especially when it's not being attacked. Until that previous sentence, at least.
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Felicity dash wrote:

I mean, if his son is 13, that's very different from if he's 7.

He's 11.

[EDIT: Removed excessive nesting. - Key]
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Mixed one this. On one hand, we can't have kids see this stuff. On the other hand, it ruins the surprise. So I feel a simple proper "Rated PG-13" or something should've been enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8