• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Run with the Wind

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:23 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Btw, what happened in the teaser that got the coach up and running? I couldn't translate that sound - did a tree fall on the house or something? I thought it might've been a bath catastrophe, but then why did he dash outside into the wind? Also also, I loved his advice for running before he went to sleep. Smile

Yeah i was also confused, i think what would make most sense is that it started raining hard and he rushed to take inside the hanging laundry. The sound effect wasn't perhaps the most adequate but i think it would make sense
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:22 am Reply with quote
Oh my poor little freckle-face Prince. Crying or Very sad

This was a great episode of course, and the music really helped massage the tear ducts. They threw me for a loop in a couple of places though. When Haiji remarked that the winning team came in under ten minutes, I was like wait, what? In fact I had to read that math post to finally get it (it doesn't help that it was also ten hours total, since 10:10:10 can be read as h:m:s or m:s:hundredths, depending on what's called for).

Also, why did they restring the tape for Kakeru's finish? If you didn't come in first, who wants to break a tape that's meaningless except for being in your way? That was really weird.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:59 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Also, why did they restring the tape for Kakeru's finish? If you didn't come in first, who wants to break a tape that's meaningless except for being in your way? That was really weird.

Yeah, do they normally do this for 2nd and 3rd place in Japan? It seemed especially weird as the runners were urged to get out of they way...so i guess it was for dramatic purposes mostly.

I loved that they also showed the "ugly" side of long-distance running like people not able to make it or collapsing after the race and of course Ouji's heroic struggle. As for "realism", i expect to see more of it in the Hakone Ekiden since the foreshadowing of Haiji's injury not being completely healed is getting stronger. Getting to Hakone was the main goal, so i never actually doubted it would happen (i felt as tense as the boys while waiting for the results nevertheless...), but i don't think Haiji ever expected them to actually win the Ekiden. I think what he means by "aiming for the top" is that he wants everyone to reach their personal best and to be able to be satisfied and proud. The twins are simply too (lovably) stupid naive to understand that...
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:27 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:

As for "realism", I expect to see more of it in the Hakone Ekiden since the foreshadowing of Haiji's injury not being completely healed is getting stronger.
well, assuming kakeru's advantage cancel out Prince's shortcoming, that means the rest collectively went from couch (king) smoking habits (nico) to plain 0 experience (the rest, and yes football or hiking might make them fit but those are neither the precise muscles nor the dexterity required for this task) to running at 15.28 km/h for over an hour and a quarter nonstop in under half a year, while having tests and jobs no less. whereas the 30 schools they outmatched probably only brought members with several years of practice and, you know, that probably individually liked running from the get go

at this point everything goes realistic or not
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:44 am Reply with quote
^I've got no idea why you quoted me here as i never claimed that them qualifying was realistic...and what is "at this point everything goes realistic or not" even supposed to mean?!
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:02 am Reply with quote
You said you expected the series to be more realistic once they reach the ekiden, I was in turn mentioning how from my perspective the series is too late for that after this episode. that no matter what kind of reality check they get in future episodes they have already demanded too much suspension of disbelief. when people quotes others it isn't always to counter their argument, I was just using yours to introduce mine

"at this point everything goes realistic or not" you are correct I omitted too many words in that sentence. sorry about that, I meant "at this point anything (the writer comes up with) goes (whether it is) realistic or not" since this series left the realm of realism a while ago
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:57 am Reply with quote
Well, i put realism inside quotation marks for a reason...what i intended to say was that IMO - without having read/watched any of the source material - reaching the Hakone Ekiden was the main goal, winning it is not, so we might actually get to see some "bad stuff" happening now (not that i want that since this is my feelgood show every week...).

I didn't mean that i expect it to turn into a gritty documentary about what it's really like to run that race all of a sudden, it still is (sports) anime after all...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:19 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
"at this point everything goes realistic or not" you are correct I omitted too many words in that sentence.

No, just a comma. Smile "everything goes, realistic or not" would have been clear, but I read it to mean "either everything goes realistic or it doesn't go realistic," and it left me wondering too.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:35 pm Reply with quote
thanks, I'll keep it in mind
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:26 pm Reply with quote
This show has grown on me over the past half-dozen episodes. It has a stronger emotional dimension than many sports shows, and not just over their performances on the track. Plus this is one of I.G's best productions in a long time. The race coverage with the overhead camera shots in this episode was especially good.

I was surprised that Haiji seemed able to recover from his injury so quickly. He was up and walking before the end of the episode. Also why was he using an ice pack on his knee when it looked like he wrenched his ankle? Hope he gets some professional medical treatment and takes a bit of time off (though clearly Haiji has no intention of doing so). I suspect this injury will come back to haunt him at Hakone.

Haven't drunk a Sapporo in quite a while. Maybe I'll pick up a six-pack. Don't need a Toyota though.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Yes, we should all have a nice cold Sapporo (one of my faves) ready for the finale.

That shot of Haiji with both fists in the air when they qualified was deeply thrilling. But when the shot changes to a side close-up showing him tearing up, that's when I really lost it.

A fine, fine episode.
AA751

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Haiji knee has been constantly brought up. I'd feel dumb if I didn't realize that its foreshadowing for the Ekiden. Its pretty obvious he has a serious problem. Unless you expect the series to just get to the punchline immediately after a hint.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:34 pm Reply with quote
It kinda looked like he might finally be getting surgery on it (again, given the scar), but that wouldn't leave him enough time to recover for the race, even with modern minimally invasive techniques.

I think my only problem with the episode was the conversation between Kakeru and Musa. Musa's dialogue was a lazy checklist of anime philosophy, one right after the other. "I have to do what I can do. There are things only you can do. Believe in us and in yourself." And that fixes Kakeru's issues right up. Rolling Eyes

Why was Hana crying? And is Fujioka someone we've met before that I've forgotten? That felt like more of a cliffhanger to me than Haiji and his knee, but maybe that's only because I don't know who he is.
AA751

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
And is Fujioka someone we've met before that I've forgotten? That felt like more of a cliffhanger to me than Haiji and his knee, but maybe that's only because I don't know who he is.

Fujioka has been in a number of episodes. He's Haiji old teammate which Kakeru was desperate to beat. He's the one who told Kakeru to support Haiji. He's the one who spoke to Haiji in the last scene where Prince finally qualified and told Haiji he was jealous that the Kazamai team got to be/train with Haiji.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:20 pm Reply with quote
OK. I was kinda thinking that might be who he was, but he looked quite different from how I remembered him in his track uniform. Smile Mostly he looked a lot older to me in his civvies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 13