• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, Hulu Sign First-Look Streaming Deal for New Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBeron

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:
I would expect a lot more Crunchyroll content on Toonami since they are both under Warner Media.

They have also several things in work with AdultSwim which is also Warner media.

Edited to remove overquoting. --willag
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:03 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
This doesn't look good for Toonami if Hulu gets first dibs on every Funimation show.

Somehow I doubt it holds true for series currently airing on Toonami. Also, Toonami might have acquired titles from Funimation to replace Mob Psycho 100 and Megalobox early next year before this deal went through.
Drunk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Funimation be like: Friendship ended with Crunchyroll. Now Hulu is my best friend.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I do Crunchyroll, HiDive (may or may not do VRV, weighing the options) Netflix and Amazon Prime for anime but I borrow Hulu from a friend. So if Hulu gets Funimation shows that would work for me.
Zof

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:28 pm Reply with quote
And I'm sick of having to have a bunch of services to watch a full season of Anime. So now we are talking: VRV + Hulu + Amazon to get everything right? That means I'll keep my vrv, drop hidive, get Hulu back now,. That's at least one less if I'm not missing anything. If I'm not mistaken it was just VRV + HiDive + Amazon +Hulu to get everything. I dont know. I just pay them all then legally download it all from USENET since I'm licensed for the content.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Is Sony (Funimation's parent company) slowly making a place on Hulu?

Because I read that AT&T (WarnerMedia's parent company) might possibly decide to give up their 10% share once they are ready to launch their own streaming service. Here is the article:

https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/att-selling-hulu-stake-disney-valuation-1203063592/

When or if that happens, Disney will become the majority owner after their acquisition of Fox and they even confirmed that they intend to stream Hulu internationally which means I can finally watch it here in Canada. I can't wait until that happens.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Ehhhh Hulu is meh since you get ads even after the initial paywall.

Hulu has had an $11.99 per month commercial free tier for quite some time now.
ECW28

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:33 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
CatSword wrote:
This doesn't look good for Toonami if Hulu gets first dibs on every Funimation show.

Somehow I doubt it holds true for series currently airing on Toonami. Also, Toonami might have acquired titles from Funimation to replace Mob Psycho 100 and Megalobox early next year before this deal went through.

This is assuming that this deal will impact Toonami. I doubt Funi will ever permanently end their relationship with Toonami. This deal can change it up, but I don’t think this means that we won’t have anymore Funimation titles show up on the block.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Interesting choice given that Sony is one of the only two major studio conglomerates that does NOT have a stake in Hulu, though I guess it’s not so surprising seeing as how Aniplex has placed a lot of their shows on Hulu recently. It’ll be interesting to see how Sentai responds, as they have a pretty big Hulu presence as well.

It doesn’t say anything about this being an exclusive deal, so it shouldn’t affect Sentai or Viz too much. Considering Hulu will only be licensing shows from Funimation, which they already do, it shouldn’t affect their relationship with other publishers much. It’s completely different from their CR alliance. Also worth mentioning that even CR streams shows on Hulu now.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Idgal wrote:
I got the $1 monthly Hulu Black Friday deal just in time!

Glad I signed up for the same deal myself. I had my account from back when they still allowed free access and was pretty miffed when they started being pay only. 90 to 95% of what I watched on there was anime anyhow. So this new partnership makes me feel like I hit the jackpot in a sense.

But all that aside, I am hoping this doesn't affect FUNimation's dealings with Toonami going forward either since I'm still a big supporter of that too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:44 pm Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
Is Sony (Funimation's parent company) slowly making a place on Hulu?

No because Hulu = Disney with a 60% ownership once the fox merger goes through.

Also
Quote:
Eric Berger, chief digital officer of Funimation's parent company Sony Pictures Television, explained that Funimation is aiming to "play bigger" with this deal with Hulu. He told Variety, "By acquiring titles for a larger footprint, you can look for some stronger titles and ultimately be a better partners for anime studios in Japan."

Watch yo back Disney, they gonna do to you what they did to CR. Take the money and run.
Sony and Longterm is as good a joke as there could be in the entertainment industry.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit confused here because I recall hearing one of the big reasons Sony pulled out of Crunchyroll was because they didn't want to share service with their rivals at AT&T yet they're partnering with Hulu now who is owned by their other rivals at Disney?
Yasaal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sony is investing in Funimation to make it a "global sub and dub anime brand."

Really hope their definition of Global isn't "America+Canada"...

Under Sony, Funi can do a LOT. It won't be as hard to be a global brand if the right measures and steps are taken, but who knows when Funi will get to that point.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:45 pm Reply with quote
they expanded to the UK, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand a few years ago, so they have already made some progress towards that goal
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:02 am Reply with quote
Something else I'm wondering about is if Hulu is going to get first dibs on Funimaiton's titles, how does this effect the titles they're still sharing with Crunchyroll like Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3