• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Film Wins Oscar Over Mirai

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BreathoftheWater

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Who cares? The Oscars are a joke anyway.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:31 pm Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Caring for the Oscars in 2019. Yikes.

BreathoftheWater wrote:

Anime sour-grapes aside, I'm going to draw an age-line and ask, how many of the "Who cares about the Oscars?" folks were around when Return of the King won in 2004?

Because, if one grew up only knowing the Oscars we've seen win since 2005, it might create that impression. That's a long time to only know screwed-up Oscars, with short voting periods, eight nominees when voters can only think of four, and a voting system that ends up giving more points to the #2 Best Picture (qv. Green Book).

...I hope I'm not wrong about this.
-SP-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
El Hermano wrote:
American bias against anime is nothing new.

It's not bias if an anime film loses to a more widely critically-acclaimed movie. Hell, even ANN's own public rankings for Mirai, while good, are hardly elite-class.

So yeah, let's not go that route this time, okay? 'Cause it saps credibility from cases where the anime film is legitimately more worthy.

An Anime film will always lose, it's kind of obvious at this point. The Oscars are an American award, so the movies success in the U.S is what's important. That being said Spider-Verse was better than Mirai.
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:59 pm Reply with quote
BreathoftheWater wrote:

Awards are more politics than jokes. It becomes easy to predict the winners once you realize that. Romuska hit the nail on the head with his post on why Spiderverse won, it hit all the right political check-boxes.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Steve Minecraft wrote:
BreathoftheWater wrote:

Awards are more politics than jokes. It becomes easy to predict the winners once you realize that. Romuska hit the nail on the head with his post on why Spiderverse won, it hit all the right political check-boxes.

It's always fun to see how cutely people try to play racism without overtly saying it. Doubly so when you're talking about the same awards that gave best picture to Green Book
Ryasha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Steve Minecraft wrote:
BreathoftheWater wrote:

Or, and bear with me here as this is going to sound really crazy and completely out of left field, it won because it was a good movie and politics had nothing to do with it.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Spider-Verse is great and totally deserved the win. It was a pretty dry year for animated movies this year otherwise, so it's not surprising. Incredibles 2 was just okay, Wreck it Ralph 2 was a giant advertisement, I didn't see Mirai because it's totally not my thing, and Maquia was a C+ rating in my books.
Nice sidenote, apparently the animators on Spider-verse used Land of the Lusterous as a reference to make that nice staggered framerate and some of the action scenes.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:02 pm Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
Wooow! I was honestly expecting the academy to play it safe and let Incredibles 2 win, the fact that they didn't just default to Pixar again this year amazes me! It gives me hope for someone other than Pixar winning in the future now too! I am quite pleased with these results! I'll see Spiderman eventually... it's on my backlog now....that...ever growing backlog....

Spiderverse may have been the frontrunner and most-acclaimed by both critics and audiences (and some people here need to stop acting like it wasn't as near-universally, and consistently, acclaimed as it was), but I was still cynical about it actually winning the award until I actually saw that it happened, just because of Pixar and voters' documented views of the "Best Animated Feature" category. I haven't seen any of the features nominated yet, but at least the lesser-received Incredibles 2 didn't win "just because"…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ecchigas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:01 am Reply with quote
eh, i like incredibles more
Zen119

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:02 am Reply with quote
Glad to see Spider-Verse won. It totally deserved it just with the animation and how it told Miles' journey to become Spider-man.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:56 am Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
It's always fun to see how cutely people try to play racism without overtly saying it. Doubly so when you're talking about the same awards that gave best picture to Green Book

Assuming there isn't another film called the Green Book, isn't that contradicting what you're saying? The Green Book I am aware of was about discrimination and the struggles a black musician faced in America.

The Oscars have received a lot of backlash over the past few years for being perceived as being dominated by white nominee and winners. Ever since the #OscarsSoWhite hashtag was created they've since been trying to atone for that controversy by nominating tons of black-focused films and actors for as many categories as they could and giving them equal awards to make things more balanced. The mainstream media is also aware of this, as most articles that have come out today about Spiderverse are talking exclusively about it being a historic win for a black character in animation and director, and not saying much about the animation or story. It's a bit naive to think politics don't play into this even a little bit.

The unfortunate thing about Mirai is anime movies are not seen as Japanese by a lot of people in America and do not qualify in critics eyes as counting as diverse. So while they're not written, directed, or starring any white people, they never really get to receive the same privilege from that as other films do. This phenomena is also why anime is considered acceptable to whitewash by Hollywood and never sees any real controversy when doing so outside the anime fanbase. If Your Name can't break into the American mainstream when it made $350+ million internationally alone, making it the biggest anime films of all time, I do not see how any other anime films can hope do so.
Gwiazdeczka

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:52 am Reply with quote
Last year when "Koe no Katachi" wasn't even nominated, but movie like "Boss Baby" was, I stopped care for Oscars.
So this year when they nominated "Mirai" I feel is like Oscar staff were like: "Yeah, last year people complained about japanese cartoon wasn't nominated, so this year we have to pick something" and they picked "Mirai" when previous years they got for ex. "Kimi no Na wa", but this gonna be nominated for Oscar in future when Hollywood will make crappy american version of it.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:28 pm Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
An Anime film will always lose, it's kind of obvious at this point. The Oscars are an American award, so the movies success in the U.S is what's important.

I won't go into the WHOLE sad history of how overenthusiastic fans desperate for US mainstream validation pretty much ruined anime's reputation with Academy members during the days of Pon Poko and Princess Mononoke--
(And besides, this was back when it was still touch-and-go with Disney, so US fans had more at stake.)

Nowadays, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle (yes, I know, but it was mainstream) have pretty much smoothed over those bad days.
With the whole Funimation/Fathom push in chain plexes, it's easier for a Your Name or Mary & the Witch's Flower to get national NY/LA exhibition to qualify for competition, which means now, the two or three or four anime titles that make qualification have to be good enough...Or at least get enough exposure.
Your Name at least got headlines and industry buzz ahead of it, but Mirai came out virtually under the radar as one of the only few new import anime titles to get national screenings.

Past that, we're down into Opinion territory that Mirai just wasn't very good, or original, but at least it made the cut whereas "Fireworks", "Lu Over the Wall", "Whatever, Walk on, Girl" didn't.
Welcome to the days where it's a lot easier to watch anime in the theaters as well as streamings...Remember when we first found out that not every anime series was a classic, once we now figured out how to watch them?

Quote:
That being said Spider-Verse was better than Mirai.

And as Sony's attempt to make a house brand out of Sony Animation goes, Spider-Verse was miles better than Peter Rabbit, Smurfs: the Lost Village, or Hotel Transylvania 3.
I suspect we're now going to be stuck with diehard fan defenders of Sony Animation for their next awful few films, the way 90's Warner Animation had diehard fan defenders of "Iron Giant", and Dreamworks had their core of "Dragon-ladies" fangirls, when those studios had a freak breakout success from a good director.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:43 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
ATastySub wrote:

Assuming there isn't another film called the Green Book, isn't that contradicting what you're saying? The Green Book I am aware of was about discrimination and the struggles a black musician faced in America.

Might actually want to look into it a little more, a lot of people have pointed out that the film is one of those "make white people feel better" type of films that discuss racism where the real focus is having the white guy (Viggo Mortensen's character) befriend a black person. Not that it makes for a bad movie persay but it's a film designed to make sure it doesn't make white viewers uncomfortable (unlike say Get Out although thankfully most white viewers were well receiving of that one).

Also, if even the Animated category is now a "oh, the films with a POC lead always win" argument, I guess that means Dreamworks' Home won Best Animated in the 2016 Oscars? It had a black girl as a lead after all. Oh, Inside Out won instead. Seriously, not everything is political, the Oscars are actually often more about what the film studios themselves push to get nominated and when the movies themselves come out (hence the term "Oscar season"). Not saying politics can't enter the picture but it's hardly the only factor and this has been the case for a long time with the award show.

Spider-verse was a film extremely well-received by most critics and audience members. It won the Oscar. Even if one didn't like the film I would hope they realize most people would push for it to win because they legitimately think it's a solid animated film, that's all.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't think anyone honestly expected Mirai to win. Anime is extremely niche in America, especially in theaters, and they're not going to hold it up above American animation anytime soon when it suits them better to market their own works.

doctordoom85 wrote:
Not saying politics can't enter the picture but it's hardly the only factor and this has been the case for a long time with the award show.

But Spike Lee fully admitted he was only nominated because of the Oscar's push for more black directors and creators. If the people being nominated can admit it's all politics, fans should be able to as well. They're not trying to hide it or anything, they're pretty open about it. Like I said before, I don't think anyone truly was expecting Mirai to win, there's no benefit to it winning.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5