• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation Novels Get Anime Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Finally! After Tensei Slime and Tate no Yuusha it's about time Mushoku Tensei gets an anime adaptation too. It is one of the better Isekai after all. I just hope they won't rush it, especially the beginning.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:15 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
FilthyCasual wrote:
Oh boy, we get to see a grown man slobber over loli elf pissing on the big screen.

bonus for getting turned on from his 'parents' having sex

I have just two quick questions. First: WHAT?!

And second: WHY?!
Vitah-108

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Ah, today is the day the "Mushoku Tensei anime" meme finally dies.

Ashen Phoenix wrote:
jl07045 wrote:
FilthyCasual wrote:
Oh boy, we get to see a grown man slobber over loli elf pissing on the big screen.

bonus for getting turned on from his 'parents' having sex

I have just two quick questions. First: WHAT?!

And second: WHY?!

The dude was just very perverted. It is basically a redemption story of a useless and perverted otaku who regretted how he lived his life when he died.

And the "parents" here is his new parents after he got reincarnated as a baby.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

I've only found a few Japanese reincarnation fantasy stories that predate Mushoku Tensei, like Re:Monster (May 2011) and K&M (October 2010), and I don't know if any of them triggered their deaths with a traffic accident. I honestly think MT -- which probably took the idea from Yu Yu Hakusho, or else something that YYH influenced or was influenced by -- might be the source of that stereotype of isekai fiction. Certainly it was one of the most popular reincarnation fantasy webnovels to date, and one of the first to get translated into English.

I honestly wasn't thinking about it as to isekai specifically, but rather anime in general. Trucks have long been a hazard to the health of characters in anime. While a certain scene early in Kurokami was one of the most brutal, there have been many over the years where someone was either killed by a truck, injured by a truck, or at least threatened with death or injury by a truck, with the character being spared by being save by another.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:10 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
I honestly wasn't thinking about it as to isekai specifically, but rather anime in general. Trucks have long been a hazard to the health of characters in anime. While a certain scene early in Kurokami was one of the most brutal, there have been many over the years where someone was either killed by a truck, injured by a truck, or at least threatened with death or injury by a truck, with the character being spared by being save by another.

Indeed; one particular scene from Kanon comes to mind for me. That said, I'm pretty sure the specific name "Truck-kun" came from Fuuka discourse.

ZArs96 wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:
I'm starting to consider making a whole spreadsheet out of this list -- web debut, light novel debut, anime debut, and possibly the intervals so you can get a sense of what stories hit milestones faster than others.

Yes please, that would be very helpful

Check it out, yo.
Galiron

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
It will be VERY difficult novel to adapt, or should I say, it is tremendously challenging to translate this work seamlesssly into weekly TV anime format, due to how long the novel spend its time on set-up and expositions. As one of the earliest “iseikai-reincarnation” web novels, there is a good reason why this work took this long to get an anime project.

Finger crossed that they somehow find a way to adapt this work without making it rushed or generic.

The biggest issue is content covered and studio. Smartphone has this issue not the best animation I felt and death march as well had a content issue they honestly should have sped up some of the stuff after the girls were introduced then did a compressed tower part with mia then moved on to the next demon part to be more actiony. A friend of mine who never read death march commented about just how slow paced it was. Now with Mushoku it will be the same but worse as it only has 3 true arcs anyways Kid young adult and adult arcs(personally I prefer adult arc) I just don't think we will get a full arc at first which means either super compressed of 1 or 2 arcs or parts of the first arc which will likely be compressed big time. a lot of long series can be adapted because of workable breaks to use as endings but given how with Mushoku its not a series of small things that can be used to stop each arc is all encompassing which makes picking a appropriate stopping point outside a full arc hard.
ZArs96

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Galiron wrote:
Now with Mushoku it will be the same but worse as it only has 3 true arcs anyways Kid young adult and adult arcs(personally I prefer adult arc) I just don't think we will get a full arc at first which means either super compressed of 1 or 2 arcs or parts of the first arc which will likely be compressed big time. a lot of long series can be adapted because of workable breaks to use as endings but given how with Mushoku its not a series of small things that can be used to stop each arc is all encompassing which makes picking a appropriate stopping point outside a full arc hard.

I already did the maths.
3 arcs = 5 cours
Allow me to explain:

The 2 first cours would cover the Childhood period.
1st cour = vol.1-2
Maybe less than 1 cour, 10 or even 9 episodes, given the length of the adventurer part

2nd cour = vol.4-6

2 more cours for the Adolescence and part of the Young Man period
3rd cour = vol.7-12
All the Magic School years until the Hydra fight at the Teleport Dungeon. The majority of this period is slice of life, so there are a lot of things they can skip.

4th cour = vol.13-17
Until the battle in Asura Kingdom

5th and last cour = vol.18-24
The chapters of Zanoba & Cliff, the rest is preparation for the final battle and the epilogue.

I think this would be the best way to adapt such a lengthy story
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:35 pm Reply with quote
ZArs96 wrote:
1st cour = vol.1-2
Maybe less than 1 cour, 10 or even 9 episodes, given the length of the adventurer part

...How on God's green Earth do you stretch out the first two Mushoku Tensei volumes into nine episodes?
ZArs96

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
ZArs96 wrote:
1st cour = vol.1-2

...How on God's green Earth do you stretch out the first two Mushoku Tensei volumes into nine episodes?

Again, let me explain xD

ep1: finishes with the entry of everyone's favorite goddess (ch01 - half ch04)
ep2-3: Roxy's magic/history lessons, ending with her leaving (half ch04 - ch06)
ep4: Syphy's entry until they find the double pregnancy (ch07 - ch09)
ep5: ends with Rudeus (incounciously) leaving the village (ch10 - ch11)
ep6: Eris nearly killing xD Rudeus and halfway through the kidnapping (ch12 - half ch13)
ep7: Rudy teaching Eris a teacher (half ch13 - ch15)
ep8: Eris birthday (ch16 - ch17)
ep9: Rudy's birthday and teleportation incident (ch18 - ch19)

I agree with you, it's a bit rushed, but if not this way, the second half of the season would be EXTREMELY rushed (guessing it would be 24 eps. ending with volume 6). In fact in the last 3 episodes I didn't put much else, mostly because I think it's material they can afford to cut.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:38 am Reply with quote
I've read the manga.

Don't know the differences from the novels, but it seems doable if they follow what the manga did. Granted there'll be down-time at the start watching the lad grow, but it could still work as an initial laid back slice/life series learning about the world until the stuff starts happening. Just focus on the growing pains/family drama/magic graduation for the first season.

With that set up the second season can get into the main adventure and action overarching stuff.

True, each season will feel like 2 completely different shows, but it could work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2