• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Midnight Occult Civil Servants (TV)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:38 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

That flashback was really confusing. Was Another holding him hostage and his uncle turned his back, or was the Another possessing his uncle or what?

I'd guess it was confusing on purpose and probably didn't show us everything that happened, only Satoru's POV. But well, i think we all saw it coming from a mile away that there must be some Another-related trauma behind that scar (and merciless attitude)...

But my favourite part was Theo petting Yuki, that was one happy kitty! Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:35 am Reply with quote
^ So happy that he kept on batting the air after Theo quit messing with him! Wink

That worked out nicely. The fairies were the best part, kicking Arata in the face and then offering a tiny strand of silk. But that piano bar jazz number at the end really didn't fit the mood.

I'm not sure Kanoichi really learned anything though. I guess I was waiting for a moment of "Omg, she's a diety? Making silk for like all the gods in Japan?? Oops, I guess I really put my foot in it." But it was like he never was really confronted with the magnitude of his crime.

Kohaku looked very nice in his silk threads. Blue is definitely his color.

Once again, it seems odd how these supposed experts can be so ignorant of Japanese mythology. I would really expect someone who does this for a living to have at least heard of Oshirasama. She's like the founder of Chinese/Japanese silk industry, plus she has a weird backstory (well, maybe not all that weird considering the stories of her peers in the pantheon. Smile ).

Oshirasama was once human, and after either she or her mother promised to marry whoever brought her father safely back from the war, her horse took her up on the offer. Daddy didn't want his daughter to marry a horse, so he killed the horse and laid out the hide to dry. The hide rose up and cocooned the girl and flew off. The father went looking for her and found her and the horse in a mulberry tree, transformed into silk worms spinning cocoons. Then they either transformed into moths and dropped silkworms onto the tree as they flew away or a neighbor took care of the cocoons and started silkworm farming and got rich, depending on the version.

Oshirasama is actually a very nice vehicle for Arata's story. Oshirasama in folklore is a transformative diety who connects the human and the divine, making divine things of use to humans. Arata is a similar sort of bridge, helping humans and Anothers be useful to each other.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I'm not sure Kanoichi really learned anything though. I guess I was waiting for a moment of "Omg, she's a diety? Making silk for like all the gods in Japan?? Oops, I guess I really put my foot in it." But it was like he never was really confronted with the magnitude of his crime.

I don't think it would really have mattered to Kanoichi whether she's a deity or just some regular Another, his hatred runs so strong, he just wants them all gone...with that in mind, appreciated that he wasn't simply "converted" to Arata's way of doing things, that would have felt too cheap.

Senda is quite the crafty one, though. No wonder he's being voiced by Yusa-san. Very Happy
A2chiya

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Azazel was one of the "Grigori," the gigantic angels who married human women and whose offspring wreaked havoc on the world. So that part fits at least. He's also associated with the Yom Kippur scapegoat ritual, being the one to whom the scapegoat is sent to out in the desert. Maybe the writer got confused and thought he was the scapegoat, and that's why he's being eternally punished by the ram-horned demon.

The horned demon is Belphegor [ベルフェゴール], who I believe also comes from Judaism. When medieval Christian theologians, such as Thomas Aquinas, postulated the 7 deadly sins, Belphegor became associated with "sloth."
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Ok that helps. There's a story, and an opera based on it, wherein Belfagor comes to earth on mission from the underworld to discover if marriage is truly a hell for mankind. So his interest in Azazael's quest makes sense now. He's also said to give people ideas for inventions and such, so his help with the reanimation process also works with that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Well, it is over. Its last episode not exactly doing something heavy like the silk thing of the last couple weeks, and saw Arata instead trying to find a home for a lost Another that had forgot who it is. Without finally getting the location of his homeland, they should have known he is an old man, that likes honey, and is a hunting god of some sort with an association with bears. Would have hoped that be some clue, although I am not very familiar with that type of myths. It was a nice end.

Not really a bad show, although not always the most interesting, and as a mythology fan I think a bit better could have been done. I also really don't really care much about the characters, or at least not the type I can find the most appealing. I give a rating of Decent (6/10), I didn't really lose my time.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Liked this last ep, nice and heartwarming, if not a great detective mystery. This has been a good show, better than average for my two bits. I hope it gets another season.
elosga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:12 am Reply with quote
Complet watching the 12th while I did enjoy the everyday work life dealing with the supernatural, aspect of this show. This episode felt a little anti climactic for a final episode, I actually expecting one more up until the final scenes. Still it was nice to see Arata handling cases on his own and a lost Ukrainian diety is certainly an odd one.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:34 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Without finally getting the location of his homeland, they should have known he is an old man, that likes honey, and is a hunting god of some sort with an association with bears. Would have hoped that be some clue...

Well, apparently it was, since the boss figured it out before Theo did, presumably based on reports from Arata.

The author did his research though. Volos is the earliest Kiev Rus name for the god later known as Veles. Volos means "hair" in Russian. Remember that scene where he was lovingly caressing the water pump until the bus fumes overwhelmed him? Aside from his association with bears and wolves, he's considered a lowland god, in his element in wet and humid places. "His domain is down, 'у воду пот корч пот колоду' (in the water, below the tree stump and the log). That is where Veles is in his place." He's also a bit of a trickster god, so it's kind of a shame he and Kohaku didn't get along better. Maybe Kohaku doesn't like competition. Wink But there are still festivals honoring Veles, so maybe he just didn't recognize that they're worshiping him under a new name and thought he'd been forgotten.

Cool episode. I probably won't buy the series (my pile of shame is too big already), but I'd definitely watch another season.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:58 pm Reply with quote
So, three months later, we now have two more episodes on Crunchyroll. That's good, but a little tough on my memory.

Two ep story arc. First ep is named "Lonely Vampire." So we would seem to have vampires, maybe, in Japan now. And maybe not... people are keeping some things private.

Starts with a street murder mystery. The regular police are investigating a dead hostess lady, with no visible wounds and ( suprise! ) no blood in her body. Two other cops just casually drive up, look at her, take some pics, talk to the regular cops with a humdrum and slightly superior attitude, and leave. An older regular cop says, very stone faced, they're from Section Zero- cops who just show up at odd cases and leave, and no one knows what they really do.

Sets the stage for more political police maneuvering, as our boys get dragged in to working with this section zero. Because Japanese Vampires are A Bit Different, and even the special cops need some special help.

I thought it was a good story, some mystery, some personal stuff, mostly well set mood. Some of it seemed different for the sake of being different, maybe a bit too much so. Spoiler for occult technicality that comes up: spoiler[Japanese vampires will have their sex change on them, but only under special conditions.] Kinda too weird I think. I hope this wasn't put in to be fashionable. It wasn't tacky, or spoiler[titillating ], but made for a strange spoiler[tragic] ending.

I did think it was a good story, and there are some twists for the police angle.

One question: a character called spoiler[ The Witch of the West] shows up. Were they in any of the other eps? I can't remember, I guess three months between, ummm, parts?, is too long for me.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:13 am Reply with quote
I think that character was new. I like her though. spoiler[Did the poor fairy have to commit suicide to summon Belphegor to drag him to Hell? Sad]

Those were really good episodes. Very melancholy from beginning to end. I'm not sure why that one guy, whose name I forget, was being so aloof and not wanting to get involved. Wasn't it his "house" they were going to at New Year's? He seemed interested then.

I liked the new vampire lore. I don't think it was done out of "fashion." This series has always enjoyed putting new twists on old lore. Making spoiler[their propagation like some fish] is certainly an original idea!

I really liked this series. I hope they decide to do more at some point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2