• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gundam Creator Yoshiyuki Tomino Expresses Thoughts on Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Fi

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:
jdnation wrote:
While Spider-verse is more than your typical kids film, it's still largely a family-friendly affair. So while stylistically it's a breakthrough, in terms of content, it's nothing outside of the norm. And also being based on a big Spider-Man franchise certainly helps. And Spider-verse is still an action comedy

A big reason why you get those is more a prejudice of the consumer market, where these films also sell toys and merchandise, and that's another big reason they get made. Which is not really something more adult fare can really pull off, outside of the Otaku market in Japan.

But even children shows seem to lack merchandising these days. Steven Universe's concept of fusing to create new forms was practically made to sell toys, yet all it has is some basic Funko Pops. No figures at all. She-Ra: Princesses of Power don't seem to get any merchandise either. They've actually put out more toys for the original 80s She-Ra than the current reboot over the past year.

I think companies just don't see the value in merchandise for animated shows anymore.
Marvel movies have numerous figures, as does Stranger Things. The market is there, whether its for kids or adults. The biggest hurdle seems to be applying it to animation rather than live-action. I guess animation is too uncool for kids these days. They'd rather watch Marvel movies, Star Wars, and live-action shows, and buy the toys for those. Literally the only people I see talk about these cartoons are grown adults on Twitter and Tumblr. It's like the market has completely swapped.

Visual vomit like Steven Universe and Netflix She-Ra don't get proper toylines because kids don't care about them. That is why the former isn't aired wall-to-wall on Cartoon Network. The abstract, oblong, skeletal and obese character designs probably wouldn't translate nicely to mass market toy manufacturing either. Given the vocal audience of those shows, any slight manufacturing defect or concession could be taken as an attack.Rolling Eyes

Kids still want toys associated with television shows. There's a reason why Hasbro bought Power Rangers last year. Things like Bakugan, Ben 10, Beyblade, MLP, Transformers, TMNT constantly get rebooted every few years because there is audience demand. The new Ben 10 definitely isn't meant to appeal to the older fans.
j_plex

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:55 am Reply with quote
King Pickle the Wise wrote:
Tomino wrote:
Tomino said that he spent a week thinking about why the film won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature. "At first glance, it looks like a live-action film, and it's very experimental in various places. For American film goers, it may be their first time watching an animated film that isn't expressly for kids. I won't appraise the film's quality, but on a technical level, I can see how much hard work the staff put into it."

It didn't used to be that way. I remember when Batman Mask of the Phantasm was in theaters, and it was great. It's a shame animation like that doesn't exist anymore in the west. But I guess with the success of the MCU they all want to focus on live-action movies and shows based on comics these days rather than make a new DCAU-like animated continuity of mature storytelling and writing.

I thought Spider-Verse looked super ugly myself, but at least it tried something different and wasn't just another Disney or Pixar animated film. So it probably deserved to win based on that alone.

Remember ... the original Disney movies as well as the Looney Tunes theatrical shorts were originally aimed at adults. Also as late as the 1960s, western animation such as Johnny Quest contained plenty of violence and adult themes. How and why western animation transformed into being primarily for children would make for an interesting think piece. Especially since in the ensuing decades the attempts at "adult animation" in the west (see "art" in this area from Ralph Bakshi, Robert Crumb, Seth Rogen) usually ends up being even more juvenile than ecchi anime aimed at 11 year olds.

Oh yeah, and calling Spider-Verse's animation ugly requires criticizing the excellent title and closing sequences of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood which looks exactly like it. Though they will deny it if asked, Kimba the White Lion/The Lion King style (Matthew Broderick even states that he thought that the project was a Kimba the White Lion remake) I am absolutely certain that the folks who made Into The Spiderverse were "familiar" with Phantom Blood.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Visual vomit like Steven Universe and Netflix She-Ra don't get proper toylines because kids don't care about them. That is why the former isn't aired wall-to-wall on Cartoon Network.

But CN doesn't work that way though, unless they get a stake on the merchandise. For example, the Total Drama shows occupy the prime real estates on CN's schedule right now, and they can't build on toys for that. Same with Netflix - they don't get a stake on the merchandise. All they care for are the viewerships.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:12 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
But CN doesn't work that way though, unless they get a stake on the merchandise. For example, the Total Drama shows occupy the prime real estates on CN's schedule right now, and they can't build on toys for that. Same with Netflix - they don't get a stake on the merchandise. All they care for are the viewerships.

Teen Titans GO has tons of merchandise and toys. The main difference is Teen Titans GO is extremely popular with children where as Cartoon Network's other shows are not, and skew an older audience who generally don't buy toys, and figuring out a way to capitalize on those audiences has been an issue for networks for the longest time.

Companies seem to wait a few decades before coming out with high-end figures for kids shows. Cartoons from the 80s like Real Ghostbusters and He-Man got kids toys back in the day, but it's only recently they got more high-end, collectable-style figures for adult fans. They're waiting 20 years to capitalize on the nostalgia of the now-adult fans who used to watch the shows as kids rather than appealing to the adults who liked said shows back then, which seems to be the main difference between Japan and America when it comes to merchandising.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:09 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Teen Titans GO has tons of merchandise and toys. The main difference is Teen Titans GO is extremely popular with children where as Cartoon Network's other shows are not, and skew an older audience who generally don't buy toys, and figuring out a way to capitalize on those audiences has been an issue for networks for the longest time.

CN has a stake with Teen Titans - they're under the same company
Primus

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:50 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Primus wrote:

Visual vomit like Steven Universe and Netflix She-Ra don't get proper toylines because kids don't care about them. That is why the former isn't aired wall-to-wall on Cartoon Network.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. I wasn't implying that CN just airs shows that it believes will sell toys. Those are what they banish to the early morning weekend slots.

Cartoon Network and Netflix are not the same. Netflix doesn't really care who watches a show (age, sex, income, education, etc.) or why (is it genuine interest or ironic mockery?), as long as they're watching. Ad-supported platforms like Cartoon Network very much do. Daytime CN's target demo is children within a certain age bracket. Their goal is to get kids watching their shows, so they can sell advertising spots to companies looking to promote to that audience. Steven Universe isn't particularly popular with younger demos. This is why it's not spammed across the channel. That's also why its merch mainly consists of small scale collector-oriented lines.

Total Drama airs a lot because it's popular with kids. There isn't much online chatter about Total DramaRama and what exists is generally negative. Yet before its recent time slot change, it was consistently the most popular show on the channel. That disconnect is because of kids. There were no toys for the earlier series because the format didn't lend itself well to that. Outside of the host, the characters were all just generic people. The show used to skew older in terms of viewers and with a constantly changing cast, toys would have a best by date. Total DramaRama aims younger and has a fixed cast, so I wouldn't be surprised if it does inspire a toyline. Cartoon Network is also a co-producer on it, which might make it more attractive to merch companies since there's no fear the show will vanish weeks before their product launches.
King Pickle the Wise

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:40 pm Reply with quote
j_plex wrote:
Remember ... the original Disney movies as well as the Looney Tunes theatrical shorts were originally aimed at adults. Also as late as the 1960s, western animation such as Johnny Quest contained plenty of violence and adult themes. How and why western animation transformed into being primarily for children would make for an interesting think piece. Especially since in the ensuing decades the attempts at "adult animation" in the west (see "art" in this area from Ralph Bakshi, Robert Crumb, Seth Rogen) usually ends up being even more juvenile than ecchi anime aimed at 11 year olds.

There was a lot of shake up in media following 9/11 for years, and cartoons never really bounced back from it. Before then you could see kids shows with smoking, alcohol, use real guns, and more risque content. Plus general societal regulations. I think smoking is actually banned across all American TV these days, and you probably couldn't do gags like Hello Nurse from Animaniacs anymore in kids shows since it would be too offensive to people.

Quote:
Oh yeah, and calling Spider-Verse's animation ugly requires criticizing the excellent title and closing sequences of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood which looks exactly like it. Though they will deny it if asked, Kimba the White Lion/The Lion King style (Matthew Broderick even states that he thought that the project was a Kimba the White Lion remake) I am absolutely certain that the folks who made Into The Spiderverse were "familiar" with Phantom Blood.

The Spiderverse crew said they were inspired by Land of the Lustrous, but I don't know about JJBA. Not really a fan of the early JoJo's Bizarre Adventure openings, but I'd say they're different at least when it comes to art style. I wonder if the early JoJo OPs were CGI due to low budget. They switched to regular animation OPs for Diamond is Unbreakable after the show became a hit
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 4:29 pm Reply with quote
My sister already told me it was a good movie but with Tomino recommending it now it is a must watch.

j_plex wrote:

My personal theory: I think that in the West animation and comics are the way they are due to the intrinsic cultural foundations of Western civilization: since Ancient Greece, Western culture is based on reason and science, and as such values realistic representation. Cartoons are by nature stylized so they are held in lower regard than the realism of live action film and literature. I note that serious attempts at Western adaption of Japanese cartoon properties such as Alita and Pikachu tend to focus on maximizing realism. The focus on realism of those films reflects typical western cultural preferences.

There is still a lot of adult cartoons in the West (with animation such as The Simpsons) and a lot of newspaper comic strips are aimed at adults (the New Yorker cartoons are an example of Western "seinen manga"), but they are not to be taken seriously. What distinguishes Japanese cartoons is not that they are aimed at older audiences (which is not often the case) but that they take their highly stylized visuals seriously. Take for example Full Metal Alchemist, it is not technically an adult manga/anime, but it is dead serious stuff.

I guess Western children have a smaller degree of cultural inculcation than adults and so are more open to the idea of taking cartoons seriously. Still the stuff I watched on Nickelodeon as a child was not remotely like Full Metal Alchemist, shows like Rugrats and Rocko's Modern Life felt more like children's version of The New Yorker cartoons rather than Promised Neverland.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2