• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Tops goo Poll of Best Heisei Yuri Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Florete

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:03 am Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
Madoka is not yuri, full stop. Light shojo-ai at most, but full blown yuri? Not a chance.

Shoujo ai is pedophilia.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
Madoka is not yuri, full stop. Light shojo-ai at most, but full blown yuri? Not a chance.

Shoujo ai is pedophilia.

What?? I'm sorry i had to comment about this. Shoujo Ai doesn't involve sexual aspects. It's more like a very lighthearted type of Yuri. Just girls saying "I love you" and friendly stuff. It's not full on smut.

Also, regarding the poll, this is just what people thought of as "yuri" I wouldn't cohnt any of these on the kist as Yuri, with the exception of Saki, but most of these series have girls that people WISH were an actual yuri couple.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:39 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Everyone is focusing on Homura and Madoka, but forgetting Sayaka and Kyoko.

It looks like a lot of people have seen the TV show but haven't seen the Rebellion movie. The TV show is on Crunchyroll but the movie isn't and that might be part of the issue.

kiminobokuwa wrote:
What?? I'm sorry i had to comment about this. Shoujo Ai doesn't involve sexual aspects. It's more like a very lighthearted type of Yuri. Just girls saying "I love you" and friendly stuff. It's not full on smut.

The history of the girls love term is complicated and the meaning of the term depends on which language is used and the country where it is used. The girls love term was originally made because some mangaka wanted to avoid calling their manga yuri due to how it was portrayed in hentai manga back in the 1990's. I have heard that yuri is now commonly used in Japan so some western fans recommend only using the term yuri.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:23 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
Florete wrote:
Sahmbahdeh wrote:

Shoujo ai is pedophilia.

You're obviously not familiar with the term as used in JAPAN.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:55 pm Reply with quote
So, regarding "shoujo ai" and the usage of the term, my understanding is this:

In the western anime fandom, for a time "shoujo ai" was used to describe works without sexually explicit content, while "yuri" was used to describe works that had sexually explicit content, but in Japan "shoujo ai" was a term that originally was coined in reference to some child kidnappings I believe. So yes, in Japan "shoujo ai" will be associated with pedophilia and sexual assault of young girls.

This fact is something I only learned relatively recently, though I had noticed that in the western fandom "shoujo ai" fell out of widespread use pretty quickly, and nowadays I just see "yuri" or "girls love/GL" used, and neither term is used specifically for works that are sexually explicit or not sexually explicit. I suspect that western fans becoming aware of the incredibly disturbing meaning of "shoujo ai" in Japan probably had something to do with it's drop of use in Western fandoms.

So yeah Madoka is not sexually explicit, nor are any of the shows in this poll to my knowledge, but that doesn't mean they aren't yuri. The shoujo ai/yuri dichotomy never existed in Japan (where this poll is from) and doesn't even exist in western fandom anymore really. Which is a good thing in my view, as I don't really want to be inadvertently using a term that references pedophilia in its country of origin as what I think is an innocent genre label. (I also think that trying to strictly break down all same sex romance works into a "sexually explicit vs non sexually explicit" divide is ill advised to begin with.)
Florete

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:24 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
Florete wrote:
Shoujo ai is pedophilia.

Also, regarding the poll, this is just what people thought of as "yuri" I wouldn't cohnt any of these on the kist as Yuri, with the exception of Saki, but most of these series have girls that people WISH were an actual yuri couple.

Read Mad_Scientist's post above if you haven't. No one who actually cares about the genre uses "shoujo ai" as 'light yuri' anymore (and yes, I am one of these people). "Yuri" is everything from hand holding to sex. If you used the term "shoujo ai" in conversation with a Japanese person, they would believe you were talking about pedophilia.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:55 am Reply with quote
I had to raise my eyebrows at some of these choices (e.g. Love Lab, are you freakin' kidding me?! Anime dazed). Yeah, the poll is a popularity contest, but it does give a snapshot on what those respondents think of when they hear "yuri" since that gets interpreted in so many ways. At least Bloom into You made it to Top 10 showing more peeps are familiar with legit yuri titles.
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:04 am Reply with quote
Some of these series are pretty questionable.. Euphonium? Despite certain scenes' "vibe", shipping doesn't count. I'd actually put Utena in the "questionable" list too though.

I can definitely understand the confusion. I had a chance to drive up to the Bay Area to see Adolescence Apocalypse at a "Gay and Lesbian International Film Festival" back in 2001 and the *movie* definitely counts as such, but I don't know that the same goes for the series.

It's easy to see how on the surface level it seems that way, especially if you just look at key art or the OP... but the show was a product of its time and not ours. It's much more of a look at all *kinds* of love, some "right" and some "wrong", and a postmodern deconstruction of gender and gender roles. The protagonists spoiler[at least so we think. Anthy has the personality of a doormat for most of the series, but once you dig deeper and realize how much she's controlling things you *also* realize that it's really about the battle between Akio and Anthy, with Utena serving the role of the Fool, whose effects are felt despite her "failure".] might happen to be two girls, but there are actually more cases of *incest* love than yuri going on, and equally as much yaoi-baiting (and actual yaoi) by the end.

So while the label of yuri isn't necessarily *wrong*, and it certainly gives off a yuri vibe, I feel like it's kind of limiting to call it a "yuri anime" ... Utena's commentary on love and the prince/princess dichotomy is so much more than (just) that tag.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3