• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2019 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:22 am Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
To just assume that someone in their 30s can't have possibly been a NES player is kind of silly, because not everyone is going to necessarily get the "new hotness", especially when it's their parents that make those decisions.

This. If I may add another example, I’m 21; the “new hotness” at the time from when I was kid growing up were the PS2 and GameCube and my first console was the N64 (I went from that to the PS2 a couple years later). Not quite exactly the same leap as yours, but still an example that I feel applies here. Glad to see I wasn’t the only one who took issue with that part of the preview.

To be honest, this bit was meant to be more of an observation on how I felt the show doesn't do a good job of getting across Mamako's age very wel, especially compared to depictions of anime moms I've seen that aren't meant to be overtly sexualized (it seemed liked wonky shorthand to use as a throwaway gag, is what I'm getting at) - but these are good points to keep in mind.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:48 pm Reply with quote
fiammetta4444 wrote:
Most of the people I know, who do primarily watch/play male idol and otome genre things, basically don’t use ANN at all. They think, “that’s not for us,” except for when they want news about HeroAca or Attack on Titan.

Sorry if this is getting off topic, but I think fiammettaa4444 is kind of on to something, and between that and Theron's off hand comment about "tolerating" BL, I feel like other people are touching on an issue I've had for a while with ANN and the greater anime community treating fans of female-targeted shows like second class citizens. And I know that seems ridiculous at first glance, given how many of the ANN staff are women, but if the majority of ANN's staff only write about shows they are paid to write about, and the most profitable shows happen to be ones made for a male audience... then there's very little representation for content that has a primarily female audience. And if ANN doesn't have that content, none of those fans are going to come here to vote in your reader polls, either, and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Like, I realize this is just one anecdote, but I just picked up the first season of Starmyu on a whim and felt like... how did I not know about how good this show is? And I realized that there is so little information available to Otome fans about upcoming shows (and which shows from previous seasons turned out to be any good) that the entire genre completely fell off my radar.

The surge in Otome games and number of fan translation projects I've seen springing up recently tells me there ARE fans of this stuff, and there's a potential market there somewhere. It seems to me like there needs to be an outreach to these fans. I'm not saying that I expect that to be from ANN, just that I wish there were more places in the anime community where Otome and BL fans felt welcome.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gan_HOPE326

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Personally I don't think it's specifically a matter of ANN. I mostly come her for the Preview Guides when the season begins and it's always thorough, but other than that I mostly follow r/anime, various bloggers, anitubers, and a lot of people on anitwitter... and never once I've seen praise for Starmyu, for example. I suspect it simply was a niche show, not just one without a male audience. There are examples of shows that had a huge female audience I can think of - Yuri on Ice, for example, or more recently Revue Starlight and last season's Sarazanmai - and while they may not have been always at the centre of the spotlight it was hard to never hear them mentioned in the anime community.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:31 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

Sorry if this is getting off topic, but I think fiammettaa4444 is kind of on to something, and between that and Theron's off hand comment about "tolerating" BL, I feel like other people are touching on an issue I've had for a while with ANN and the greater anime community treating fans of female-targeted shows like second class citizens.

I think this is an interesting discussion (albeit perhaps one we'll want to move to a different thread/forum for on-topicness), because I think the only season where I had two female-oriented shows to review for streams was the very first season we did this - Blue Spring Ride and Love Stage.
Super_M

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:13 am Reply with quote
Gan_HOPE326 wrote:
Personally I don't think it's specifically a matter of ANN. I mostly come her for the Preview Guides when the season begins and it's always thorough, but other than that I mostly follow r/anime, various bloggers, anitubers, and a lot of people on anitwitter... and never once I've seen praise for Starmyu, for example. I suspect it simply was a niche show, not just one without a male audience. There are examples of shows that had a huge female audience I can think of - Yuri on Ice, for example, or more recently Revue Starlight and last season's Sarazanmai - and while they may not have been always at the centre of the spotlight it was hard to never hear them mentioned in the anime community.

Banana Fish had some popularity too.

I think main reason is that anime way more cater male than female audience and when more shows target men than women thers is better chance to find something decent and popular on male side than female side.
musouka

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:13 am Reply with quote
Super_M wrote:
Banana Fish had some popularity too.

ANN's coverage of Banana Fish is why I'm cautious about them just assigning people to cover more female-oriented series. Ideally they should look for someone that has an history and passion for reading shoujo titles and interest in joseimuke material. Otherwise all you're going to get is, "LOL, I'm covering this male idol show and look at how stupid it is! But, uh, that's what makes it fun!!"

Super_M wrote:
I think main reason is that anime way more cater male than female audience and when more shows target men than women thers is better chance to find something decent and popular on male side than female side.

Nah.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'll be frank: of the four main protagonists featured in the A Certain Magical Index franchise, Accelerator is easily my least favorite.

There are four main protagonists in the Index franchise? I thought there was only Touma, Misaka and Accelerator. Who's the fourth one?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:51 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:

There are four main protagonists in the Index franchise? I thought there was only Touma, Misaka and Accelerator. Who's the fourth one?

Hamazura
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:31 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:

Hamazura

Yep. In anime terms, he starts to emerge as the 4th during Index III and is apparently a major player going forward. (I've not read the novels this far but seen plenty of spoilers to that effect.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
getchman wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:

Hamazura

Yep. In anime terms, he starts to emerge as the 4th during Index III and is apparently a major player going forward. (I've not read the novels this far but seen plenty of spoilers to that effect.)

I thought there was 5 main protagonist in the series with Index being one of them. Along with the other 4 that were mentioned.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Treecko Tempo wrote:
I thought there was 5 main protagonist in the series with Index being one of them. Along with the other 4 that were mentioned.

Every appearance of Index within the past two dozen light novels has been contained within one of the three boys' story arcs, and the manga spinoffs are firmly centered around Railgun and Accelerator. Some people claim that Index isn't even one of the "main characters" anymore - the usual arguments being that spoiler[Misaki Shokuhou] replaces her role as "the girl Touma forgot", and that spoiler[Othinus] has become the franchise's most important Magic-side heroine - but regardless of whether any of that is true or not, Index certainly hasn't been framed as a protagonist for about a decade, and the author has stated that if he had known that the series was going to last so long, he wouldn't have named the franchise after her.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. I see what you mean about her really not being much of a main protagonist anymore. Just from the anime material I've seen she looks like one of the main protagonist to me, but it interesting to learn that she loses that in the future.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Treecko Tempo wrote:
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. I see what you mean about her really not being much of a main protagonist anymore. Just from the anime material I've seen she looks like one of the main protagonist to me, but it interesting to learn that she loses that in the future.

Even in the first anime series I would hesitate to call Index a co-protagonist, as she was nearly always either the subject of/motivator for Touma's actions or else acting within the context of his actions. Also, any hope for her to be the franchise's #1 girl got dashed by Mikoto's (unexpected?) rise in popularity and prominence; IIRC, even from early on Mikoto was widely-regarded as the franchise's Best Girl, and she was definitely one of the standard-bearers for tsundere in general by the end of the '00s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:22 pm Reply with quote
This season looks pretty damn great so far. I plan on following Astra, BEM, Cop Craft, Danmachi II, Dr. Stone, Ensemble Stars!, Fire Force, Given, Kochoki, Starmyu III, Lord El-Melloi, Maou-sama Retry!, The Ones Within, and Vinland Saga. This on top of continuing Black Clover, Demon Slayer, Cardfight Vanguard, Fairy Tail, and Fruits Basket. There's also a couple of shows that I didn't mention, that I might be dropping, but we'll see where they land in the '3 episodes or bust' category.

Also, not sure if I missed it or not, but is Try Knights just not gonna be able to be voted for at all in the Streaming Reviews for this season? Cause I am all about the underrated sports anime...plus rugby...plus KENN... I wanna vote for it. ..It's probably not been picked up by anyone official, which is why right?

Last edited by Time Bandit on Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:26 pm Reply with quote
BEM (4 out of 5) - It is a combination of a noir crime drama with a yokai horror series. When spoiler[the city's chief of police is making his daily hush money pick ups while driving past drug deals being done next to young children] the first episode does a good job of showing how corrupt the city has become. The BEM yokai wanting to be human is interesting since they seem like great people and are basically super heroes even if that does include monster transformations. I guess that Spider-Man would have been less popular if he transformed into a giant 8 legged spider. BEM reminds me of the more serious episodes of GeGeGe no Kitaro but it can be even darker since it is a late night anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 20