• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Summer 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:59 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I was mostly thinking about stuff like the smartphone and ... hummmm the other one that I forgot but was picked up for daily review :vague gesture in direction of pile of Isekai:.

In Another World With My Smartphone is a fun light novel series and it got a good anime adaptation. I wish I could say the same for Arifureta and while the pacing slows down in the second episode it will be somewhat confusing for anyone that hasn't read the Arifureta light novels.

Lord Vaultman wrote:
Not having BEM on this list is criminal when you choose granbelm over it.

BEM is good but I can see why more people voted for Granbelm. A magical girl mecha show is rare and Granbelm is an interesting combination of Madoka Magica, Magic Knight Rayearth, and Fate stay night.
micah007

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:03 pm Reply with quote
All my picks made it so I'm happy.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Good news, guys! Steve Jones has offered to make room in his schedule for Given, so we will be covering it weekly this season.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:

"We" didn't choose it; fan voting did.

Now, you can make an argument that it not debuting before the voting started hurt it badly in the polls, and I would probably agree with that.

Thespacemaster wrote:
I was really hoping that demon lord retry might just be able to slip by but i guess it did not appeal to many especially with the low budget animation, oh well you win some and lose some.

I was hoping it would, too - even volunteered to do it if it did, in fact - but I'm not surprised that it didn't, as moe appeal being its primary strength isn't enough to hook people anymore. The same probably happened with If It Were For My Daughter.

Anyway, I will most likely be following Retry!, so expected a season-end summative review. I also intend to either follow or (more likely) binge-watch BEM at the end, so that one should also get full review coverage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Nothing here seemed too surprising. A bit disappointed no one is covering BEM since it is a remake of an older show, which is usually pretty interesting, but not shocked.

Will definitely be reading those Vinland Saga and Fire Force reviews (although we have a little time before VS returns with more episodes). Glad to see Rebecca covering O Maidens In your Savage Season. I feel like this will be a show that has a lot of differing opinions the further we get into it, kind of like Scum's Wish more comedic successor.

Will probably just check out the reviews for Dr. Stone, as the premiere didn't really grab me as an anime adaptation other than just enticing me to read the manga.

I hope Jacob continues with the Fruits Basket reviews into the next cour since I just think he's the best critic on the site to cover that show specifically, but I totally understand if he needs a break from it. Either way, will still be checking those out.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:

"We" didn't choose it; fan voting did.

Now, you can make an argument that it not debuting before the voting started hurt it badly in the polls, and I would probably agree with that.

Thespacemaster wrote:
I was really hoping that demon lord retry might just be able to slip by but i guess it did not appeal to many especially with the low budget animation, oh well you win some and lose some.

I was hoping it would, too - even volunteered to do it if it did, in fact - but I'm not surprised that it didn't, as moe appeal being its primary strength isn't enough to hook people anymore. The same probably happened with If It Were For My Daughter.

Anyway, I will most likely be following Retry!, so expected a season-end summative review. I also intend to either follow or (more likely) binge-watch BEM at the end, so that one should also get full review coverage.

A full cover review would be nice, i will look froward to it Thank you Smile
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:38 pm Reply with quote
One reviewer covering Fire Force, Vinland saga, and Kimtetsu no Yaiba seems like almost too good to be true. Lucky!

Also, in her preview, Rebecca said that Maidens is a series she woud like to read on her own time and so not be influenced by the anime's pacing. Yet she's still reviewing the anime. People who will follow the reviews, beware that this idea might influence the revies at one point.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Neither Chris Farris (How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift?) nor Steve Jones (Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?) wrote reviews of those series in the Anime Preview Guide, I know this is a worst case scenario, but I hope there wont be hate filled diatribe like Smartphone got.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Someone Please find it in there schedules to cover Symphogear? Please?
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Very sad to find out that Demon Girl Next Door did not make the cut, oh well, since I was looking forward to the reviews to see if I should continue.

Otherwise I am happy to see all other shows I voted got in
Norana

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:14 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
Good news, guys! Steve Jones has offered to make room in his schedule for Given, so we will be covering it weekly this season.

I want to thank you and Steve Jones from the bottom of my heart, I'm really, really happy it'll be covered weekly since it was my top pick Anime catgrin

now I hope Symphogear will be covered in some form as well Very Happy
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Aww come on, I wanted to see Are you Lost?. Sad
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Really happy that Granbelm made it in. It's one of most weirdly overlooked shows this season despite the budget and highly talented staff. Episode 2 did a lot ally my fears of whether the show would be able to carry itself outside magic mech battles with some excellent character work. It could still end up mediocre in the end, but for now I'm pretty hopeful and certainly one of my most anticipated shows of summer.

I guess James is happy for having nothing be HQ shows cover after suffering through some of the worst offerings of pasts seasons. lol
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:52 pm Reply with quote
About three-fourths of the shows I’m watching this season made it in, which is about what I expected given with the recent dialing back of weekly reviews. It’ll be interesting to see how this season’s shows will play out.

Key wrote:
Anyway, I will most likely be following Retry!, so expected a season-end summative review.

I’ve been enjoying the series, so I’m glad to hear this. Looking forward to it.

Last edited by Joshua Zarate on Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Very sad to find out that Demon Girl Next Door did not make the cut, oh well, since I was looking forward to the reviews to see if I should continue.

Not at all surprised that one didn't make the cut, even though I did quite like the first episode. Pure comedies don't have a great track record for getting voted in for weekly reviews, and I find them to be among the hardest type of series to review weekly and among the least interesting to read reviews about. Last season's Isekai Quarter was a major exception (especially given that it was only half-episodes!) because its concept and the material it was drawing from created all sorts of opportunities to comment on the parodies that it was using.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4