• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Piracy Site Manga Rock Shuts Down

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:

Well SJ does have the newest chapters for free in English so that is a plus for those who do not want to pay. The thing is that illegal means you get the chapters Friday while Viz publishes them on Sunday and on sometimes on Wednesday. People want it sooner than later and will most likely read illegal scans than wait a couple more days.

Which is only the case because scanlation groups get people to break street date for new WSJ issues, and scan new chapters in before the magazine even goes on sale in Japan each week. Since the switch to the current model, Viz's Shonen Jump service puts up english chapters at 5am Monday in Japan, so basically immediately when the physical magazine would go on sale. The only time it doesn't is on special occasions when WSJ releases on a different day.

But you'd be surprised how many people who primarily read scanlations believe Viz is "late" on this because speed translating groups pump out low-quality scans earlier. Which is part of the bigger issue Zalis116 brought up - the current community standards of english-language manga is defined by scanlations and the expectation that you can and should read anything for free, and any legit service is stingy or a middleman.
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:16 pm Reply with quote
So the reason ANN thinks that it's "inaccessible" is because of a recent bug (less than a week old) that causes the site not to load if you have Japanese or Korean languages enabled in your browser.
Quote:

Open Chrome.

At the top right, click More More and then Settings.

At the bottom, click Advanced. Under "Languages," click Language.

Remove Japanese and Korean language

Doing this will show that the site has indeed NOT shut down (yet). Should really check things like this before stating something is shut down as a fact.
Bowi_tcm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As a result, we plan to shut down our scanlation website and app. We also recommend that similar scanlation sites (there are many) shut down as well. We are truly sorry for causing problems for the manga industry.

Maybe dont?
They're trying to drag the whole Scanlation down and its pretty much the only way people reading doujins/manga that probably will never get licensed or bought Online.

In other hand MR deserved to get sued for uploading official licensed manga in their web.
nDroae

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:03 pm Reply with quote
zunderdog24 wrote:
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
Piracy doesn't hurt sales/profit because most of the people pirating would never pay no matter what you do. There's no such thing as "lost profit" due to piracy.

Thats cool and all, but what if we're talking about a subscription service that sells pirated versions. Wouldnt you consider the money a subscriber spends on the service to be "lost profit" seeing as the money is going to the pirates instead of the rights holders?

Yes. However, when the publishers choose not to offer an equivalent subscription-based option, asking us to either buy physical volumes of every series (got shelf space?) or in many cases pay nearly as much for a digital copy - options that many of us would only take for our favorite series - then there is still no attractive ethical alternative to piracy.

Granted, there are people who are willing and able to individually purchase everything they read, and there are people who are unwilling and/or unable to pay for anything. But there are also many people willing to pay a low subscription cost for a convenient, high-value subscription service. That's why Crunchyroll has over 2 million subscribers.

Crunchyroll once tried to launch a separate manga subscription service, but it failed and was rolled back into their streaming subscription. They weren't able to license enough manga to make the price attractive to enough people to get the ball rolling. I subscribed to ComiXology Unlimited for a couple of months; it may be fine for western comics, but the manga selection is pitiful, and most ask you to buy digital volumes at nearly full price after the first two or three that are covered under the subscription price.

Say the industry can't survive on the model of subscriptions + occasional purchases of favorite titles. Then the industry can collapse as far as I'm concerned. I'm happy to pay to support it, but not on the existing terms.

MangaRock offering a paid subscription is indeed ridiculous and offensive. However, I at one point actually considered donating money to the internet's most popular anime piracy site, because they offer an invaluable service by hosting ancient shows that I legitimately couldn't stream or download anywhere else - not legal streaming (I'm an annual subscriber to CR & Funimation, and occasionally HiDive), not other piracy sites, not torrents (at least outside inaccessible exclusive trackers). Thankfully Discotek and others are working hard to alleviate that, though in the grand scheme they're only scratching the surface.

Replica_Rabbit wrote:
Anyway, I believe scanlation is good but if they release them before the official released is pretty wrong.

Except where no official release has been announced. Soon after I started reading Hakumei & Mikochi scanlations, I stopped a couple of volumes in, when news came (many years late for most readers) that an official English release was happening. It's on my shelf now.

Last edited by nDroae on Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
meruru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I really wish there was a legitimate site to subscribe to a manga library similar to crunchyroll. Maybe there is one, but if so I haven't found it. I know crunchyroll includes access to some manga, but it doesn't include the entire series, just the first chapter and several of the latest. Manga is ridiculously expensive compared to anime, and I'm not going to invest in a series that I don't know is actually good. So most of the time, I end up not buying at all, though I actually will buy manga I know I like. It seems silly when manga is cheaper to produce and cheaper to host, being a bunch of images rather than streaming video.

Last edited by meruru on Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
Pirating will never cease until the market is truly global and simulcast/simurelease and companies won't quit trying to make things exclusive to certain platforms.

In other words, never Laughing Most manga doesn't get any official translation in the west AT ALL, let alone a simultaneous release.

lossthief wrote:
But you'd be surprised how many people who primarily read scanlations believe Viz is "late" on this because speed translating groups pump out low-quality scans earlier. Which is part of the bigger issue Zalis116 brought up - the current community standards of english-language manga is defined by scanlations and the expectation that you can and should read anything for free, and any legit service is stingy or a middleman.

Unless it's Netflix then suddenly even anti-pirates are okay with it. I see lots of anti-piracy drum beaters having weekly discussions about shows they could only be watching via piracy since Netflix hasn't released the latest batch of episodes yet.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:57 pm Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:
However, when the publishers choose not to offer an equivalent subscription-based option, asking us to either buy physical volumes of every series (got shelf space?) or in many cases pay nearly as much for a digital copy - options that many of us would only take for our favorite series - then there is still no attractive ethical alternative to piracy.

Granted, there are people who are willing and able to individually purchase everything they read, and there are people who are unwilling and/or unable to pay for anything. But there are also many people willing to pay a low subscription cost for a convenient, high-value subscription service. That's why Crunchyroll has over 2 million subscribers.

Crunchyroll once tried to launch a separate manga subscription service, but it failed and was rolled back into their streaming subscription. They weren't able to license enough manga to make the price attractive to enough people to get the ball rolling. I subscribed to ComiXology Unlimited for a couple of months; it may be fine for western comics, but the manga selection is pitiful, and most ask you to buy digital volumes at nearly full price after the first two or three that are covered under the subscription price.

Say the industry can't survive on the model of subscriptions + occasional purchases of favorite titles. Then the industry can collapse as far as I'm concerned. I'm happy to pay to support it, but not on the existing terms.

meruru wrote:
I really wish there was a legitimate site to subscribe to a manga library similar to crunchyroll. Maybe there is one, but if so I haven't found it. I know crunchyroll includes access to some manga, but it doesn't include the entire series, just the first chapter and several of the latest. Manga is ridiculously expensive compared to anime, and I'm not going to invest in a series that I don't know is actually good. So most of the time, I end up not buying at all, though I actually will buy manga I know I like. It seems silly when manga is cheaper to produce and cheaper to host, being a bunch of images rather than streaming video.

Have you people perhaps not heard of Shonen Jump, or are you in a country not supported by them? It's $2 a month and has entire series to read and download on your phone to read offline. Of course it's SJ stuff only, but it's a ridiculous deal in my opinion. I use it all the time and I've been subscribed since it launched back in December.
meruru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:59 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
meruru wrote:

Have you people perhaps not heard of Shonen Jump, or are you in a country not supported by them? It's $2 a month and has entire series to read and download on your phone to read offline. Of course it's SJ stuff only, but it's a ridiculous deal in my opinion. I use it all the time and I've been subscribed since it launched back in December.

That does sound like a good deal, and I hadn't heard they had an actual subscription, so I'll have to check it out, although it's still a little disappointing because I read a lot more shoujo and josei than shounen. Thanks for the rec.
Hinotoumei

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Manga scanalation/ anime subtitles is not new. Most of these popular franchises only developed a following in the west due to fans. These greedy selfish companies (who pay the artists bare minimal wages to work so many hours a day that most of them basically get ill and die for it) wouldn't weren't willing to take the risk to expose a whole other country to their products..SO SOMEONE STARTED DOING IT FOR THEM FOR FREE; NOT TO MAKE MONEY, NOT TO HAVE ANY SORT OF POPULARITY, BUT SIMPLY TO SPREAD THE NEWS OF HOW COOL THEIR FAVORITE MANGA IS.

If it wasn't for them, NEWS FLASH , we would not have the majority of the franchises we have today; nor would niche video game studios such as NIS be taking as much risk as they are to bringing the games they do over here.

Yet, these multi million dollar companies attack this free industry, claiming it is bad for the creators. The only reason it is bad for the creators is because the creators are being scammed by the multi million dollar mega corporation. They are being treated, overworked and abused to the point of death all for measly wages well the mega company collects most of the money for minimal work..

SO HOW ABOUT WE FOCUS ON WHAT THE REAL ISSUE IS HERE.
these manga artists are borderline slaves. A lot of them do not even enjoy what they are doing. That is why basically every other week you hear about a series going on hiatus or outright cancelled.

Not because places like manga rock are taking away there money causing them to starve, but because the overall working conditions and expectations are extreme.

These companies should be worshipping those who have taken the effort FOR FREE to translate and distribute their products to another nation.

Ya, lack of money is the real reason berserk and hunter x hunter keep going on long ass hiatuses..right..sure mhmm..

piracy has really caused this

piracy caused d-gray man to all but disappear

ya, filthy criminal disgusting scum bag pirates
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:50 pm Reply with quote
That's not good for some people, who live in some countries where reading and buying manga legally are very limited. The majority of countries still doesn't have access to read and buy mangas legally.
I want to tell you, that news is worries me because I admit I read mangas on online illegally because in my country, Lithuania, it's impossible to buying and reading mangas legally and I feel like mangas in LT doesn't exist at all.

Last edited by ErikaD.D on Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:51 pm Reply with quote
The sheer audacity of charging people to read works you stole. That's on a completely different level than K's ads and malware.

Hopefully these idiots get dunked like they deserve.
Temuthril

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:59 pm Reply with quote
If someone was paying a monthly fee for the app, then it looks to me like there's some market demand for a similar legit one.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Hinotoumei wrote:
Manga scanalation/ anime subtitles is not new. Most of these popular franchises only developed a following in the west due to fans. These greedy selfish companies (who pay the artists bare minimal wages to work so many hours a day that most of them basically get ill and die for it) wouldn't weren't willing to take the risk to expose a whole other country to their products..SO SOMEONE STARTED DOING IT FOR THEM FOR FREE; NOT TO MAKE MONEY, NOT TO HAVE ANY SORT OF POPULARITY, BUT SIMPLY TO SPREAD THE NEWS OF HOW COOL THEIR FAVORITE MANGA IS.

If it wasn't for them, NEWS FLASH , we would not have the majority of the franchises we have today; nor would niche video game studios such as NIS be taking as much risk as they are to bringing the games they do over here.

Yet, these multi million dollar companies attack this free industry, claiming it is bad for the creators. The only reason it is bad for the creators is because the creators are being scammed by the multi million dollar mega corporation. They are being treated, overworked and abused to the point of death all for measly wages well the mega company collects most of the money for minimal work..

SO HOW ABOUT WE FOCUS ON WHAT THE REAL ISSUE IS HERE.
these manga artists are borderline slaves. A lot of them do not even enjoy what they are doing. That is why basically every other week you hear about a series going on hiatus or outright cancelled.

Not because places like manga rock are taking away there money causing them to starve, but because the overall working conditions and expectations are extreme.

These companies should be worshipping those who have taken the effort FOR FREE to translate and distribute their products to another nation.

Ya, lack of money is the real reason berserk and hunter x hunter keep going on long ass hiatuses..right..sure mhmm..

piracy has really caused this

piracy caused d-gray man to all but disappear

ya, filthy criminal disgusting scum bag pirates

MangaRock steals from fan scanlation (and the official) sites, they put ads and have a subscription fee. The money doesn't go back to the fan translators, it just goes to the people who run the sites. They don't even put links to the fan scanlation sites they took it from. I don't like it when people use sites like MangaRock saying they sticking to the men by going to those websites without thinking about how that site has so many Manga translated. Anyway, can we be more nuance with this issue? I really getting tired of piracy is good because capitalism is bad (ignoring that the popular piracy Manga sites are doing capitalism too)
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:13 am Reply with quote
I didn't realize that MangaRock literally had a paid subscription. That takes some gall there. I sympathize with folks who can't afford manga or who are interested in series that aren't legally available where they live (and in some cases may not have an official English release period), but scanlation aggregators aren't really the good guys here. Especially not ones that literally off their own paid subscription. They're just making money by exploiting other people's work.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:28 am Reply with quote
I was surprised MangaRock survived this long. It was brazenly offering a scanlation download service, asking for subscription money, and even getting featured in those App Store "stories". It got to the point where it looked so slick a ton of users thought it was legit.

I do have to admit though, in terms of user experience and content delivery, piracy services always seem to be at the bleeding edge, a step ahead of official distributors. It feels like the manga industry is only just now starting to catch up to the digital distribution methods scanlators have been offering for years. Even now they still haven't caught up.

Part of the problem in my opinion is that the manga industry, at least in English, isn't currently doing a good enough job of advertising simulpubs. Fans have had to take it upon themselves to to publicize and curate lists of places where you can legally get digital manga. If you Google a popular manga now, MangaRock or six other scanlation sites are bound to pop up before any official release. Before the discussion that started up after the Japanese tweets, I had no idea you could read all of Gundam: The Origin, legally, for free, in English, at Comic-Walker.

So far, anime has gotten pretty good at telling you where to find a legal stream. You've got stuff like Anime Planet, because.moe, this very site, or sometimes even JustWatch.com. There needs to be an equivalent for manga -- a place where you can search a manga to see where the official digital release is and a simulpub if there is one. Baka Updates Manga technically includes official releases in its info pages, but it doesn't differentiate between them and scanlation links.

The other problem is that not enough manga have simulpubs right now. English simulpubs are currently mainly focusing on the big shounen stuff which makes sense. But there's so much else where at best you can wait for digital tankobons to come out. In those cases, scanlations are the only way to keep up with the discussions on the latest chapters. Wouldn't it be great if the latest Berserk chapter was simulpubed on ComiXology and Dark Horse's site and app?

In any case, there are already half a dozen apps on iOS that could easily replace Manga Rock. And at the very least, channels like this will always exist simply because of the sheer number of manga out there that will never be officially released outside Japan. There's just too much of it.

meruru wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:
meruru wrote:

That does sound like a good deal, and I hadn't heard they had an actual subscription, so I'll have to check it out, although it's still a little disappointing because I read a lot more shoujo and josei than shounen. Thanks for the rec.

Like I said above, people are putting together pages and lists of legit digital manga sources.

This is one that was recently set up in response to MangaRock: https://wherecanireadmanga.com/

Here's another one on GitHub: https://github.com/otakulogy/manga-reading

And another: http://simulpub.tsundokulife.com/

Generally speaking there seem to be three "main" sources from what I can see: Crunchyroll Manga, ComiXology/Amazon, and Book-Walker.

I'm sure people here are already familiar with Crunchyroll Manga. ComiXology is mostly for western comics but has a lot of manga too, and in the case of many of them it tries to keep up with the latest individual chapters. Individual chapters are $1 or $2. Its subscription service -- ComiXology unlimited, is just $5 a month but seems to be a good deal. It doesn't include everything on the store but it unlocks a lot. Amazon owns them so if you link accounts, anything you buy on ComiXology also goes into your Amazon Kindle account. Some say it's actually cheaper to buy those books on Kindle and then have them to go your ComiXology account. Kindle has the same simulpubs as ComiXology. On either one you can subscripe to an individual series.

Book Walker seems to have some of the same stuff as CR and Amazon but also some different stuff.

Yen Press is one of the publishers that puts some simulpubs on these services but you can also read simulpubs right on its site.

The international edition of the manga magazine Comic Zenon also seems to have a lot of English digtial simulpubs of its own unique set of manga: https://www.manga-audition.com/comic-zenon/

There may be other magazines and publishers that have their own digital simulpubs set up that we don't even know about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6