• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vic Mignogna's Civil Case Against Funimation, Voice Actress Monica Rial, Ron Toye Dismissed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoshingWithYa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I don’t mean to be a downer, but the result of this civil case does not prove that Vic is guilty of what people are accusing him of. It just determines if he was defamed by the defendants and if they interfered with his business relations.

I am a strong proponent of going to the police as soon as possible when misconduct happens. Get a police report filed. Otherwise, you let that person continue in his or her predatory activity.

As it stands, those who have accused Vic did not prosecute him. He is a free man. If what his accusers said is true, then they have not obtained justice.

I doubt Vic is done with anime or conventions. He even considered the thought of starting his own dubbing company. Keep that in mind before you celebrate.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:50 pm Reply with quote
JoshingWithYa wrote:
I doubt Vic is done with anime or conventions. He even considered the thought of starting his own dubbing company. Keep that in mind before you celebrate.
lmao
JoshingWithYa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:51 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
JoshingWithYa wrote:

I am a strong proponent of going to the police as soon as possible when misconduct happens. Get a police report filed. Otherwise, you let that person continue in his or her predatory activity.

This is a good point - it is the fault of the first victim when a sexual predator predates subsequent victims. Do you think maybe we should press charges against those first victims for their enabling behaviour? Maybe that's the only way to solve the problem.

Of course not. My position is one of strong recommendation, especially if you want someone evil off the streets. I’m sorry if it seemed that I’m pinning the blame on the victim for the predator’s actions. That was not my intent.
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:57 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
So, what's next for Ol' Vic? Try to squeeze more moolah from the "defenders of Western Civilization" brigade (YouTube grifters and conspiracy theorists)? Maybe do niche voice over where he doesn't have to work with any other actors? Start doing voice acting seminars like his pal Chuck?

Perhaps we'll be lucky enough that he just quietly disappears.

Good riddance. I never even thought he was a good voice actor to begin with. He's an even worse person.

Bankruptcy is probably the first thing. After that, yeah, he can join the cottage industry of pariahs and maybe do some real hypocritical stuff about Jesus. I highly doubt that, despite Gen Fukunaga's ties to Christian television production (he co-founded a faith-based film company with Rick Santorum), that sort of stuff draws from the same talent pool as dubs.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:58 pm Reply with quote
JoshingWithYa wrote:
I’m sorry if it seemed that I’m pinning the blame on the victim for the predator’s actions. That was not my intent.

You can't scream "I'm going to throw a rock into that pond!", subsequently throw a rock into the pond, and then claim (and expect to be believed) that you never intended to throw a rock into the pond in the first place.
JoshingWithYa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:02 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
JoshingWithYa wrote:
I’m sorry if it seemed that I’m pinning the blame on the victim for the predator’s actions. That was not my intent.

You can't scream "I'm going to throw a rock into that pond!", subsequently throw a rock into the pond, and then claim (and expect to be believed) that you never intended to throw a rock into the pond in the first place.

Well, how can I say, “If possible, report your predator to the police,” without appearing that way? Should I not give them that advice?
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:04 pm Reply with quote
JoshingWithYa wrote:
I don’t mean to be a downer, but the result of this civil case does not prove that Vic is guilty of what people are accusing him of. It just determines if he was defamed by the defendants and if they interfered with his business relations.

As it stands, those who have accused Vic did not prosecute him. He is a free man. If what his accusers said is true, then they have not obtained justice.

He’s on the hook for the entirety of the defenses legal fees, his own legal fees, as well as a fine large enough to prevent him from further harassing lawsuits to harass the defendants which will likely be very costly since his own lawyer is already threatening further appeals. Also he has proven he’s an extreme liability by suing his former employer for not giving him future jobs, any company is at risk if they hire him for a single gig and they don’t hire him again since he may sue them.

Oh and he has an established history of harassing his fan base and coworkers, enough so that a branch of Sony and of AT&T Time Warner parted ways with him.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Brb gonna watch this on loop for a while.
JoshingWithYa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:07 pm Reply with quote
NiPah wrote:

Oh and he has an established history of harassing his fan base and coworkers, enough so that a branch of Sony and of AT&T Time Warner parted ways with him.

He is still a free man and does not have to identify himself as a sex offender. Justice has not been given to his accusers.
Florete

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:10 pm Reply with quote
JoshingWithYa wrote:
NiPah wrote:

He is still a free man and does not have to identify himself as a sex offender. Justice has not been given to his accusers.

That's up to his accusers to decide.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I got to meet Monica at a Comic Con a couple of weeks ago. I told her back then, but I’ll say it again: thank you so much so staying strong in this difficult time and standing up for what is right.
NikkiNoNo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:20 pm Reply with quote
JoshingWithYa wrote:

I don't know if you've ever been assaulted, and I'm not going to make any assumptions on if you have or not, but the main reason that people don't immediately go and report is because most of the time, the police have a very high bar of what "sexual assault" constitutes. Dallas PD isn't going to go and take a report because someone says that a VA tried to pressure them into having sex, or that he was grabbing girls at cons in ways that made them uncomfortable and he had been known to do that for years. Even when a rape actually happens, women have a high bar for even proving it was rape in the first place.

We did what we could when it happened... alerting con staff, keeping distance from him, keeping a buddy with us at all times. If he had been a normal con goer, he would have been barred, because the last thing a con wants is to have a bunch of attendees talking publicly on social media about how the same guy was grabbing and/or kissing them without permission and the guy wasn't kicked out.

Their goal wasn't to get Vic arrested. Their goal was to get him to admit that he has a problem with how he treats women, and modify that behavior. He is the one who brought this lawsuit, because he was pitching a fit over having his behavior brought to light. He's tried to make himself the victim, and this lawsuit was an attempt to silence his actual victims so he could continue to harass women. He's the one who has made this a huge deal, because he wanted to be able to continue on and ensure that women were too scared to speak up in the future. It backfired, spectacularly.

I doubt it will happen, but maybe if he took a break, issued an actual apology (not the sorry not sorry crap he did originally) and stopped being a creeper, he could resume his career. Maybe he would be able to survive this by just showing some humility and admitting his mistakes. But that would require him to actually practice what his religion preaches, and deflating his ego a bit. I'm definitely not holding my breath for that to happen.
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:25 pm Reply with quote
NikkiNoNo wrote:
I doubt it will happen, but maybe if he took a break, issued an actual apology (not the sorry not sorry crap he did originally) and stopped being a creeper, he could resume his career. Maybe he would be able to survive this by just showing some humility and admitting his mistakes. But that would require him to actually practice what his religion preaches, and deflating his ego a bit. I'm definitely not holding my breath for that to happen.

I think we're well past that point and I'm not sure if he's capable of fully coming to terms with what he did and how he hurt people. I mean, watch the depo, he freely demonstrates how he would pull a woman's hair.
NikkiNoNo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
NikkiNoNo wrote:

I think we're well past that point and I'm not sure if he's capable of fully coming to terms with what he did and how he hurt people. I mean, watch the depo, he freely demonstrates how he would pull a woman's hair.

I watched it, and yeah, I don't think he's capable of changing how he is. He got away with it for too long, and he doesn't think he has to change. I've seen toddlers with more ability to recognize that they need to stop doing something when they've been told no.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Mignogna's even allowed to use the GoFundMe money to help pay what he owes the defendants. Arguably, it's not even his -- whatever's left after Beard has been paid, that is.

Anyway, one lawyer I know on another forum has been arguing that the big takeaway from all this is that anti-SLAPP laws are a good thing, and we need them in the states that don't have them -- or at the federal level, if possible.

AiddonValentine wrote:
P.S. Ironic this happens the day after people did that FMA Day hashtag on Twitter. And the day BEFORE Monica Rial's birthday. Ouch

Pretty much the day Chupp announced October 3 as the deadline, people were pointing out the coincidence.

JoshingWithYa wrote:
Well, how can I say, “If possible, report your predator to the police,” without appearing that way? Should I not give them that advice?

The first question you need to ask is, "Does this need to be said?" And the answer is... no, not really. It doesn't provide victims any new information. Everyone grows up with at least some conception of police as "the people who (in theory) arrest criminals".

But a lot of victims of sexual predators also know that they have very little chance of seeing any justice through that process, and the price they pay for pursuing it will be heavy. So lots of them just try to move on with their lives. Honestly, it's often a rational decision, or at least one I can't fault anyone for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 12