• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Animator Eiichi Kuboyama: July Anime Season Seems Hopeless at This Rate

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ampharos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Just hoping Adachi and Shimamura and other shows I am interested in don't get cancelled outright. I don't mind waiting longer.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:13 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Good opportunity to have an article about why compositing is so important, what it is, etc. 'Cause I'll be honest, I'm very ignorant of it.

So yeah, is there anyone here who can explain why compositing studios have such huge influence like Kuboyama said? (And how other things than that (i.e. dubbing) don't/are still possible considering the current situation, like he implied?)

And what is compositing in anime in the first place?
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:40 pm Reply with quote
If I had to guess, I’d hazard it’s due to software restrictions. If compositing offices being shutdown is such a deal breaker, it can only be because that work can’t be done remotely, and in those cases it’s often because either the hardware itself isn’t portable, and/or purchasing extra licenses for, say, a work laptop is prohibitively expensive.

As for what compositing actually is, my understanding is that it’s basically all the “layering” and effects work. You put characters on backgrounds, swing the cameras around, and add in effects and lighting to bring the whole work together cohesively, so they all feel like they’re sharing the same virtual space. But I’m no expert, so I’m sure someone with more experience can weigh more authoritatively.

Edit: Caveat in that I can’t remember if coloring is considered a part of the compositing pipeline or not, since I’m basing this off of 3D pipelines, but if it is, that’s another crucial element.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:31 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
DeTroyes wrote:
I'm almost certain that additional delays are forthcoming. Shows like One Piece, Black Clover, and Detective Conan can't possibly keep to their current schedules and not be affected by the lockdowns; thus, I expect all three to eventually announce that they will be going on "hiatus" for a few months and hopefully start up in the fall. The second halves of Railgun T and Fruits Basket are also likely candidates for postponement, given their production schedules (Railgun T is already 3 weeks behind schedule due to earlier delays).

We'll probably be seeing more delay announcements before the week's end, but hopefully nothing will actually be cancelled.

I know its annoying and frankly a little disappointing, but I'd rather have the delays than a bunch of sick animation staff. Now's the time to make headway on your TBW pile or try new shows; anime will be back one of these days, just be patient.

I thought the new BIG 3 (boruto, BLack Clover, OP) have animators in countries other than JPN, so perhaps they could make it.

I have fears that we get some domino effect, what did these delayed spring show bump from summer, and what will those bump into fall, etc. Surely shows wont be cancelled outright?

Said other countries are South Korea, China, and South East Asian countries (Thailand, Philipine, Vietnam, Indonesia). A lot of those countries already locked down, that and the voice (act) recording can't be done remotely.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:12 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Ushio wrote:
Congrats 90% of you will lose your jobs but that remaining 10% will see an extra 10% a month.

Quite the hyperbole are you. But, if that's what has to be done for a raise to a livable salary, then so be it...

That's not really how business works though. If all but 10 McDonalds shut down, the employees at those 10 remaining stores wouldn't suddenly be getting paid more. It's still a minimum wage job. Less studios doesn't mean more money to go around, it just means there's less jobs available so fewer animators would be getting work. If anything, it would devalue the position since some people would be willing to work for less pay and benefits if it means they get the job over someone else since lower income is better than no income.
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:38 am Reply with quote
Netflix shows will probably also be delayed now. Not that I actually watch many Netflix shows. But I do kind of see the appeal of the platform now vs broadcast - make all the episodes and release it at once, no delay in between episodes or interuption of broadcasting. Especially in times like now, all those complaining about binge culture, well, probably doesn't have such a strong argument anymore.
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:35 am Reply with quote
So some people have been asking about what compositing is and how it is important to anime. It is also called photography and here is a nice and simple explanation

Photography (撮影, Satsuei): The marriage of elements produced by different departments into a finished picture, involving filtering to make it more harmonious. A name inherited from the past, when cameras were actually used during this process.

In essence, it is making the different parts of an anime from the backgrounds to the key animation of characters to effects look like as if they exist in the same universe. You might ask why this is important. Well, that is because everything I just mentioned has a different look, different speeds, different textures etc and if you don't put them well together you get cases where you are looking at an anime and you ask " was that guy copy and pasted in the background or is that just me ". It is also to make it seem like 2d backgrounds have a concept of space such that you can believe that the characters can actually walk somewhere or "into the picture" . This is also the part where they add filters to set the mood like adding a blue filter to a snow scene to make it look "cold". Shadows and light are primarily used in photography especially in the making backgrounds look "real"

I'm sort of a beginner/ amateur in the whole animation production explanation but I believe at least you can get a small understanding of composition. For further reference :

animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2018-01-10/interview-yuichi-terao-chief-of-ufotable-digital-team/.125658

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compositing

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081004054112AAW0SsX

https://www.wideopenspace.co.uk/animation-tutorial/s5-compositing.html

Sorry for any misinformation I may have said. Best of luck.

Edit: a good way to understand is from this video from fate heaven's feel 2, by Ufotable who are famous for their photography. Take note on how at the end of each cut, there is this part where some parts of the key animation are darkend and others have light added. That is where the photography happens.

https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/86523
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post?tags=fate%2Fstay_night%3A_heaven%27s_feel_ii._lost_butterfly+genga_comparison+
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:03 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Quote:
Eiichi Kuboyama has served as a key animator, episode director, and/or storyboard artist on a number of anime titles, including The Quintessential Quintuplets, Dog Days, and Case Closed.

*It's Detective Conan, not the so called "Case Closed". Damn English speakers.

But I'm wonder, are long running shows like Detective Conan, One Piece, Boruto and Black Clover may end up hiatus due to Coronavirus?

Isn’t Black Clover already planned to go on hiatus now that it is close to being caught up?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I am quite curious as to how the production committees will deal with the time slots that they've secured with all of the broadcasters. The production committees won't have product to broadcast. Will they broadcast infomercials, instead?
KavitaksSharma

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:12 am Reply with quote
I pray every day to GOD, that this is over soon.
And yes we can go ahead and watch some other anime, there is plenty of stuff already available.

Please be safe guys.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:20 am Reply with quote
^ Instead of infomercials, maybe they will discover the joys of re-runs. Including possibly re-running a completely different old show, especially if this is for a late night slot that was probably "bought" by that show's production committee as a place to advertise their product, including manga, figures, and all the other stuff. They just need to pick a show/franchise that still has stuff available for sale, in the pipeline, so to speak, and run that, and hope all the members of the production committee are happy with that. Some show that had the same backers on its production committee would be best, so they all still get some money out of it.

I mean, in a sense these shows were always infomercials, so it is just a switch to an older but similar product.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:39 am Reply with quote
Dian Z wrote:
killjoy_the wrote:
Good opportunity to have an article about why compositing is so important, what it is, etc. 'Cause I'll be honest, I'm very ignorant of it.

So yeah, is there anyone here who can explain why compositing studios have such huge influence like Kuboyama said? (And how other things than that (i.e. dubbing) don't/are still possible considering the current situation, like he implied?)

And what is compositing in anime in the first place?

Compositing, simply put, is when all the elements of an anime - the drawn and painted animation frames, CGI, effects and Backgrounds, are put together.

While I can't really see some of these studios (mainly those that are all-service or dabble in more than one department like Graphinica, T2 Studio, or Asahi Production. Or in-house branches like Bones' or Ufotable's) shutting down completely, other companies (the smaller houses such as Raretrick) are probably going to start seeing the blow come pretty soon. But who knows what'll happen in the coming weeks.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:48 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Quote:
Eiichi Kuboyama has served as a key animator, episode director, and/or storyboard artist on a number of anime titles, including The Quintessential Quintuplets, Dog Days, and Case Closed.

*It's Detective Conan, not the so called "Case Closed". Damn English speakers.

But I'm wonder, are long running shows like Detective Conan, One Piece, Boruto and Black Clover may end up hiatus due to Coronavirus?

I am a non-English native speaker who grew up watching CC/DC in another language. I still do not watch it in English. Yet, I fully support the title "Case Closed" in conjunction with "Detective Conan". I am curious to why you think it is wrong calling it "Case Closed" in English?

In regards to the article, CC/DC is almost certain getting a soft delay, which is basically already happening as M24 got delay already. But due to the incredible amount of episodes this series have, they just re-air the old episodes like they have done for many years to fill the gaps.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2