• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds NIS America Anime to Catalog

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jex2193

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Interestingly Natsume isn't listed though the first 4 seasons were licenced by NIS America
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:10 pm Reply with quote
If FUNimation gains any control over Cardcaptor Sakura, I hope they chuck those awful NISA subtitles and either redo it or obtain Pioneer's.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
If FUNimation gains any control over Cardcaptor Sakura, I hope they chuck those awful NISA subtitles and either redo it or obtain Pioneer's.

Were NISAs subtitles really that bad for the show? I was just looking at getting their blu rays of the TV show, but if it's really that bad, I'll probably just wait it out for a better release. Apparently it's missing the new 5.1 mix too - does that make much of a difference to anyone who has the NISA blu rays?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:08 pm Reply with quote
The main issue with the NIS CCS subs is they don’t properly translate when characters call each other by their surname so everyone calls each other by their given name. This does create complications for a major character development in the third season, but otherwise they’re not that too far off from the old Pioneer subs . The NIS release isn’t perfect but it’s not too much of an issue if you already know what the characters are saying from past releases. It’s just one important scene where a baffling decision makes for a minor annoyance. But again like with the dub possibility Funimation just has streaming rights so I wouldn’t hold out hope that they will change anything.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:54 am Reply with quote
Jex2193 wrote:
Interestingly Natsume isn't listed though the first 4 seasons were licenced by NIS America

Those are already streaming on Crunchyroll and have been for several years.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes when I see this kind of thing I wonder if its to do with the Sony/Aniplex buyout. Quite a number of these titles are on AnimeLab, with Madman getting licenses before the buyout/merger, so I'm wondering if they are leveraging to standardise libraries across platforms
ryonomiko
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I hope Natsume Yuujinchou isn't part of this deal... I own S1-4 of the NIS releases but S5&6 have not been done except on Crunchyroll and I really don't want to lose Natsume on CR (and not to Funimation).
bravesirz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
While Funimation may not be able to do it themselves, I don't think NISA giving up on anime necessarily dooms those shows from getting dubs. Anohana got re-licensed by Aniplex and they went ahead and dubbed it, so if NISA's rights expire, the shows have the possibility of getting dubbed.

Granted they get relicensed down the road.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2