• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Climax

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuzu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Let's ignore the plot for a second here.

When has a "nice girl" in a love triangle/harem ever won? Especially over the Tsundere/Ice Queen?
Richard Eisenbeis
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Kuzu wrote:
Gotta love how the review preview is about Yui, and not Hachiman and Yukino lol. Didn't even use a screenshot of them.

I see u Richard.

In all fairness, it's probably best not to read too far into the review preview blurb and main image choices.

The blurb is generally chosen by the editor (unless there is one I have specially put forward).

As for the image, I grab one off of the official anime twitter acount--so I am limited to the ones they post.

Now, while there was a picture of Yui in this week's set of images on twitter, it was similar to the one I used a few episode back. Moreover, there were none of Yukino or Hachiman from this episode. So I was down to a picture of the fake prom guys or Iroha making her "bitch please" face of disgust.

...it wasn't a hard choice to make.

Birriaman wrote:
I’m a Yui shipper just as Rochard (apparently) is

Actually, as far as shipping goes, I am and always have been on the Yukino side of things. I think that there is a chance Yukino and Hachiman could make each other better people through a relationship.

On the other hand, I think Hachiman would simply drag Yui down--making her spend all her time and energy trying to "fix" him. Let everyone who has tried reforming a "bad boy" tell you how that works out.

Maybe in a few years with time and maturity Hachiman would be able to have a healthy relationship with Yui but not as things stand now.
Kuzu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In all fairness, it's probably best not to read too far into the review preview blurb and main image choices.

The blurb is generally chosen by the editor (unless there is one I have specially put forward).

As for the image, I grab one off of the official anime twitter acount--so I am limited to the ones they post.

Now, while there was a picture of Yui in this week's set of images on twitter, it was similar to the one I used a few episode back. Moreover, there were none of Yukino or Hachiman from this episode. So I was down to a picture of the fake prom guys or Iroha making her "bitch please" face of disgust.

...it wasn't a hard choice to make.

I wasn't aware that's how you guys chose thumbnails. Nice new info.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Richard Eisenbeis wrote:

On the other hand, I think Hachiman would simply drag Yui down--making her spend all her time and energy trying to "fix" him. Let everyone who has tried reforming a "bad boy" tell you how that works out.

Odd seeing how well Yui has done up till now. One of the things I hate so much about this series is the work Yui put into making Hachiman a social animal- and he went and used those improved social skills to stab her in the back.

It's not that Hachiman was a "bad boy", he was just a malfunctioning one. Some kind words, some touchs here and there and his trust issues went away... just in time for Yukino to reap the harvest by doing nothing but push him away.

In the second season, I thought of it as "domestication" but in the end Yui could not do anything because her abandonment issues loomed larger than Hachiman's trust issues. Early in this season, Yui's conclusion was "Even though I said I'd do something, I'd rather lose"... something? I don't agree with Yui's own conclusion about what she experienced as she never had the spine to say what she felt..." than lose either of my friends."

Which is the exact opposite of how I saw this working out; Throughout season 1,2 and 3, it was always Yui and Hachiman as the dynamic pairing with Yukino as the distant unknowable entity... possible a person but in that family, all best are off. They would react to her, they would work together for her, they would get mad, frustrated with her while Yukino remained Yukino. I just can't picture a scenario where Yui sticks around while the two pair up; She bailed out when she thought it happened in the first season and she can't go where they're going so..

What a crap series. Reactionary and simplistic summation? I wouldn't agree, the series was going left for 38 episodes with a hard right on the second to last episode based on the assumption of Yui's "I just want my beloved and best friend to be happy... and that will make happy!"

If Yui and Hachiman are in the same senior class together again... look, either a clean break or a full admission of feelings with total shutdown would work, not whatever "this" was.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
What a crap series. Reactionary and simplistic summation? I wouldn't agree, the series was going left for 38 episodes with a hard right on the second to last episode based on the assumption of Yui's "I just want my beloved and best friend to be happy... and that will make happy!"

Not sure why you think the series was going "left" for 38 episodes and suddenly made a hard right. To me, the destination of the show was always obvious, it was merely a case of watching the details that would lead to the inevitable unfold. But then again, you once argued that Yukinon having a picture of Hachiman under her pillow was not necessarily a sign she liked him romantically, so I guess maybe what was obvious to most of us, eluded you.
Kuzu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:15 pm Reply with quote
People who preferred Yui over Yukino were never going to ever consider any of the obvious hints that the latter was the obvious pick for Hachiman's heart. It's really the nature of these romcoms in general; people will support their personal best girl for whatever reason and then get upset if they aren't picked, and then call the series trash due to salt.

Not to generalize or diminish egomaniac's point, but hey, you should have known what you were signing up for; the best girl for you is not necessarily the best girl for the protagonist.

Had things been different, and Hachiman wasn't such a pessimistic sad sack, Yui might've been chosen but he's never really clicked with her as well as he did with Yukino. Even if Hachiman did choose Yui, it'd feel like he would have been settling for her rather than pursuing what he actually wanted.

Now Yui just being ok with seeing her crush and BFF shacking up while she stays around as the third wheel is definitely something questionable. I understand she values them as friends, but that's a raw as fudge deal to have to endure that kind of stretches the suspension of disbelief. If nothing else, Yui should have cut herself off to spare her own feelings, because I can imagine forcing yourself to be alright with this situation isn't really any more emotionally healthy.
alaskaslim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:30 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Odd seeing how well Yui has done up till now. One of the things I hate so much about this series is the work Yui put into making Hachiman a social animal- and he went and used those improved social skills to stab her in the back.

Yui was forced to be the emotionally mature one as Haruno states. The "Genuine" moment would not have connected had she not been there.

But we already know what a Yui-Hachiman relationship looks like, refer back to her encounter with Sagami's group at the firework festival.

Or read ANOTHER, the Yui-ending LN. Neither is a good time for those two.

Quote:

It's not that Hachiman was a "bad boy", he was just a malfunctioning one. Some kind words, some touchs here and there and his trust issues went away... just in time for Yukino to reap the harvest by doing nothing but push him away.

Did you see episode 10? Yukino was practically begging for things to be alright between them, and for their relationship to progress. She put distance to save the possibility of them having a (close, though platonic) relationship; she needed to make sure she wasn't being codependent.

In addition Yukino saved Hachiman during the Winter festival, and she saved him from Sagami's peer group backlash (not in the anime). And she, not Yui, was the motivation that prompted Hachiman to leave his shell.

Lots of the exchanges between Yui and Hachiman seem nice, but that didn't make them the ideal pair. Yui was an enabler, and didn't care for something Genuine. What Hiki wanted was someone to contend with. So much more of him came to bear in his conversations with Yukino than Yui, and even Yui knew this.

Even when she didn't know Yukino was a rival, she knew she was in competition with the relationship Hiki had with her.
Birriaman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Reading all the previous posts reminds me why most of us like this show: we all have a best girl, a preference for either anime or LN, and love disecting this trio’s absolutely dumbfounding social inadequacies. I’m really going to miss this show.

On another note, was it ever stated in the LN if Yui actually went to school the day after 8man broke her heart? Just wondering how she acted that day - probably up and going back home at the end of the day without calling on him for the first time since forever - but in the anime we are thrown straight into the chess match and ultimate non-proposal. I would like to know what her current state of mind is, to better understand if staying around the other two is something that could actually be good for her.

Me? I probably would’ve just cut clean, but I realize I tend to care more about my own feelings and getting my shit together so as to open up myself up for future possibilties, rather than trying to keep a happy relationship with two people who obviously will be OK without me hanging around. Been there, done that. It hurt a lot, it cost me a friendship, but it was high-school. My life was just starting and I had no idea what was coming next, and today, many years later, I am emotionally content and HAPPY with a wonderful person I had no idea even existed back when I was going through hell.

I guess what I’m trying to say - mainly to all the Yui shippers out there - is that no matter which way she decides to take her relationship with the other two, our girl will be fine, and she will probably be very happy in the end.
Delphisage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Birriaman wrote:
Reading all the previous posts reminds me why most of us like this show: we all have a best girl, a preference for either anime or LN, and love disecting this trio’s absolutely dumbfounding social inadequacies. I’m really going to miss this show.

I admire your optimism, but it's been pretty well-established that shows not going with fan-demanded pairings for the MC, even over heavily-telegraphed canon pairings like Hachiman/Yukino, can cause a SHARP decline in popularity and reputation from the rest of the community. Heck, Season 3 itself has been met with a lot less hype than I had been hoping from, since not only did most of the big fans just finish the light novel in expectation that there wouldn't be a third season, they probably also didn't like the resulting pairing in the LNs enough that they refused to watch it happen again in animation.
Kuzu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:38 am Reply with quote
Birriaman wrote:

On another note, was it ever stated in the LN if Yui actually went to school the day after 8man broke her heart? Just wondering how she acted that day - probably up and going back home at the end of the day without calling on him for the first time since forever - but in the anime we are thrown straight into the chess match and ultimate non-proposal. I would like to know what her current state of mind is, to better understand if staying around the other two is something that could actually be good for her.

Me? I probably would’ve just cut clean, but I realize I tend to care more about my own feelings and getting my shit together so as to open up myself up for future possibilties, rather than trying to keep a happy relationship with two people who obviously will be OK without me hanging around. Been there, done that. It hurt a lot, it cost me a friendship, but it was high-school. My life was just starting and I had no idea what was coming next, and today, many years later, I am emotionally content and HAPPY with a wonderful person I had no idea even existed back when I was going through hell.

I guess what I’m trying to say - mainly to all the Yui shippers out there - is that no matter which way she decides to take her relationship with the other two, our girl will be fine, and she will probably be very happy in the end.

Since we're near the end, nope.

Yui isn't even seen in the series again until they start working on the second prom, at which point her and Yukino settled things offscreen and they're all pretty much friends again.
Delphisage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:29 pm Reply with quote
The shippers are never gonna stop bombarding this series. Even to the very end they'll insist Yukino and Hachiman will never end up with each other, and Yui or Iroha or Hiratsuka-sensei is the only right girl for him.
Kuzu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Delphisage wrote:
The shippers are never gonna stop bombarding this series. Even to the very end they'll insist Yukino and Hachiman will never end up with each other, and Yui or Iroha or Hiratsuka-sensei is the only right girl for him.

Given all of the teasing in the last episode, you can't really blame them can you? Hachiman danced with both Yui and Hiratsuka but not his actual girlfriend?
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:15 pm Reply with quote
That was fun. I think, in retrospect of the last episode, my favorite line was Haruna's "Brace yourself". At first, I wasn't sure what she meant, but then spoiler[Yukino's dinner invitation, and the ensuing catalog of Hachiman's likely excuses and their non-availability] made it clear.

spoiler[Being the focus of attention from all the Yukinoshita women may pose a challenge for the capable Hachiman.]
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:18 am Reply with quote
^ I've touched on this previously, but I think Hachiman has given a pretty good accounting of himself to all of the ladies of the Yukinoshita household. If he falters, they'll probably pounce on him, but if he can keep going at least as well as he has been, I think he'll be fine. I was left with a pretty good impression of his future based on the last episode. In fact, it was portrayed as optimistic for everyone, IMO.
Kuzu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:04 am Reply with quote
Think my favorite bit of dramatic irony is how Hachiman said he would rather not want to deal with Yukino’s mother...and that plan is clearly not going to work anymore. He said this is what he wanted, so he best resolve himself.

There's an afterstory that focuses on Yukino’s family, namely we meet her father for the first time. And it becomes clear where Yukino gets her taste in men from, because he's pretty much just an adult Hachiman, albeit not as cynical. Its also clear that the Yukinoshita women are the ones who run the household; he even refers to wife and daughters as goddesses...but not in the usual sense, more the capricious and flighty goddesses who flip moods constantly. Yukino’s Dad got "tamed" more or less and the same thing is gonna happen to Hachiman it seems.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11