• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Licenses Genie Family 2020 Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grenzer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:44 pm Reply with quote
This one took me by surprise. Tatsunoko properties have rarely been licensed in the 21st century, and Hakushon Daimaō is practically unknown in the USA. Then again, Viz still has not released Osomatsu-san after almost two years, so this might turn out to be vaporware as well.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Grenzer wrote:
Tatsunoko properties have rarely been licensed in the 21st century

Uhhhhh, not really. If anything, Tatsunoko stuff has been licensed more than ever in the past two decades. Even removing anything Tatsunoko has done in this very century, a ton of its 20th century anime has seen either first-time licenses or license rescues.

Mach Go Go Go/Speed Racer
Mach Go Go Go: Restart
Judo Boy
Gatchaman
Gatchaman II
Gatchaman Fighter
Gatchaman OVA
Casshan
Casshan: Robot Hunter Casshern
Gold Lightan
Urashiman
Zillion
Kyatto Ninden Teyandee/Samurai Pizza Cats
Tekkaman Blade
Tekkaman Blade II
Time Bokan: Royal Revival
New Hurricane Polymar

The only surprise is that Hakushon Daimaou got licensed by Viz specifically, and not simply relegated to a Crunchyroll simulcast.
Munchmunch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:41 pm Reply with quote
What a strange show for Viz of all companies to pick up. I'm assuming it'll be relegated to just airing a few times on TV and not much else, like how they handled Doraemon and Captain Tsubasa.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Wow! The fact that it's such an upbeat, kid friendly franchise makes me wonder if they actually plan to release it.

Grenzer wrote:
This one took me by surprise. Tatsunoko properties have rarely been licensed in the 21st century, and Hakushon Daimaō is practically unknown in the USA. Then again, Viz still has not released Osomatsu-san after almost two years, so this might turn out to be vaporware as well.

Yeah, I'm worried about this too. If it's not "Toonami" they just kinda license and forget about it. Even another Tatsunoko series, InfiniT Force was just quietly released on Blu-ray with little fanfare and even without dub credits!
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:48 pm Reply with quote
When was the last time Viz licensed a show blatantly aimed at kids and families that wasn't tied to something they were already doing? Mid-2000s? Did the earlier shows do well in South America? Saban's Bob in the Bottle ran here in the early '90s, but I wouldn't say it holds brand value.

A few of the dub's cast members are still working, so if Viz wants to continue surprising us ... spoiler[They won't.]
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:45 pm Reply with quote
The big surprise is that it was this series because for those who remember Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom, this IP was tied up in some kind of legal mess so Hakushon Daimao, who was in the Japan-only Cross Generation of Heroes, was cut from all versions of Ultimate All Stars (ironically including Japan) so this is a pretty big deal, especially given how late this show got picked up.

Grenzer wrote:
Then again, Viz still has not released Osomatsu-san after almost two years, so this might turn out to be vaporware as well.

https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/anime-manga-discussions/us-blu-ray-dvd-and-simulcast-industry-news/674875-viz-media-licenses-mr-osomatsu-seasons-1-2?p=762586#post762586

With Osomatsu, apparently it had to get redubbed because someone didn't like how it turned out the first time so it's basically in a Eva 3.33 situation now.

Lord Geo wrote:
Uhhhhh, not really. If anything, Tatsunoko stuff has been licensed more than ever in the past two decades. Even removing anything Tatsunoko has done in this very century, a ton of its 20th century anime has seen either first-time licenses or license rescues.

Judo Boy
Gatchaman
Gatchaman II
Gatchaman Fighter
Gatchaman OVA
Casshan
Gold Lightan
Urashiman
Zillion
Tekkaman Blade
Tekkaman Blade II
New Hurricane Polymar

Also Genesis Climber Mospeada: Love Live Alive.

Cain Highwind wrote:
Yeah, I'm worried about this too. If it's not "Toonami" they just kinda license and forget about it. Even another Tatsunoko series, InfiniT Force was just quietly released on Blu-ray with little fanfare and even without dub credits!

Their handling of Infini-T Force was such a disgrace, it had the worst lack of promotion for a video release I had seen since I"s over a decade ago and we still don't know if they plan to release the movie that they announced together with the show.

On a positive note, we FINALLY got a dub cast for it but it took someone e-mailing them to find out since as you mentioned, they didn't include a dub credit extra on the disc (similar to their handling of the K & Sailor Moon R movie discs a while back) plus they didn't even credit the right studio in the back cover since it listed Bang Zoom while Casshan's VA confirmed it was Studiopolis.
valoon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:25 am Reply with quote
As this wasn't fansubbed yet I'm more than happy to hear it got licensed
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:37 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
The big surprise is that it was this series because for those who remember Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom, this IP was tied up in some kind of legal mess so Hakushon Daimao, who was in the Japan-only Cross Generation of Heroes, was cut from all versions of Ultimate All Stars (ironically including Japan) so this is a pretty big deal, especially given how late this show got picked up.

Grenzer wrote:
Then again, Viz still has not released Osomatsu-san after almost two years, so this might turn out to be vaporware as well.

https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/anime-manga-discussions/us-blu-ray-dvd-and-simulcast-industry-news/674875-viz-media-licenses-mr-osomatsu-seasons-1-2?p=762586#post762586

With Osomatsu, apparently it had to get redubbed because someone didn't like how it turned out the first time so it's basically in a Eva 3.33 situation now.

Lord Geo wrote:

Judo Boy
Gatchaman
Gatchaman II
Gatchaman Fighter
Gatchaman OVA
Casshan
Gold Lightan
Urashiman
Zillion
Tekkaman Blade
Tekkaman Blade II
New Hurricane Polymar

Also Genesis Climber Mospeada: Love Live Alive.

Cain Highwind wrote:

Their handling of Infini-T Force was such a disgrace, it had the worst lack of promotion for a video release I had seen since I"s over a decade ago and we still don't know if they plan to release the movie that they announced together with the show.

On a positive note, we FINALLY got a dub cast for it but it took someone e-mailing them to find out since as you mentioned, they didn't include a dub credit extra on the disc (similar to their handling of the K & Sailor Moon R movie discs a while back) plus they didn't even credit the right studio in the back cover since it listed Bang Zoom while Casshan's VA confirmed it was Studiopolis.

Sorry for the late reply. Geeze, I had no idea it was THAT bad. When I started seeing the ads for the show, I was curious if it had a dub and found about the debacle on BTVA. Glad I'm not the only one thinking of Tatsunoko vs Capcom. Man, when that came out I hardly knew anything about Tatsunoko so I did a real deep dive into whatever I could find. I ended up watching a lot of Yatterman 2008 raw. Came out really liking Time Bokan, but I'm pretty well versed in all their characters now.

When Daimao was taken out for the international release, I thought maybe it was because he looked a little too close to being an offensive racial stereotype and they just blamed it on licensing, it's good to see here that the new version doesn't have that problem.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's a surprise.

Munchmunch wrote:
I'm assuming it'll be relegated to just airing a few times on TV and not much else, like how they handled Doraemon and Captain Tsubasa.
What if it aired on Toonami? Laughing

Grenzer wrote:
Then again, Viz still has not released Osomatsu-san after almost two years, so [Genie Family] might turn out to be vaporware as well.
Cain Highwind wrote:
Wow! The fact that it's such an upbeat, kid friendly franchise makes me wonder if they actually plan to release it.
The article and the YouTube trailer (via the description) mentions a October release window, so yeah, it's getting released soon. They aren't gonna sit on it

NJ_ wrote:

Hmm, very interesting. So that means the first version most likely won't ever see the light of day and is pretty much lost media.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:59 am Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
When Daimao was taken out for the international release, I thought maybe it was because he looked a little too close to being an offensive racial stereotype and they just blamed it on licensing, it's good to see here that the new version doesn't have that problem.

While this is fair, the problem is that this also affected Japan's release of that same version which was odd considering Capcom had no issue with country-exclusive characters if licensing was a problem (see Norimaro in Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter).

As for why, I always heard that the legal issues had to do with Saban Entertainment since they had the rights to the original show back in the early 90s up until the Disney acquisition in the early 2000s so it may have been tied up in that mess like everything else they had at that time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1