• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: U.S. Representative Ilhan Omar Gets Her Gundam (Fanart)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kae kurono

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:03 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
El Hermano wrote:
ATastySub wrote:
You really got the point of Gundam huh

Selling merchandise to consumers, if we're being honest.

There's certainly plenty to be said about a franchise whos entire existence is pandering to military otaku and kids with cool military aesthetic fights and robots to sell merchandise while also trying to denounce wartime conflict leading to a mixed and possibility hypocritical message, but I doubt this will become a nuanced discussion about it with attempts to take potshots like this one.

Hypocrisy is human, and it's brilliant in Gundam. It would be foolish to dismiss it for being so. I mean, selling merchandise is what stores do. Gundam, if you take a moment to remember, is a franchise for stories and characters (and robots (that you can build))(that you can buy on blurays or whatever). There's something to be said that the formula of cool military giant robot action mixed with a humanist and anti-war theme appeal to both sides of the aisle, that is the timeless formula behind the 40yo franchise.

Damn straight you said it best. Gundam doesn't appeal to me because of robot toys or "cool military aesthetic fights" otherwise i wouldn't be a fan and i doubt the series wouldn't have lasted for over 40 years. No for me it's the complex, nuanced & gray storytelling of politics & wars, The complex & psychologically nuanced cast of characters. Yeah you get the point. But don't get me wrong i've come to like the robots & cool fights as well as a bonus but that's not the main appeal for gundam or mechh anime in general for me.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:
DavetheUsher wrote:
Seems pretty hypocritical given her views on military/police defunding, but eh, "Pokemon Go to the Polls" is a common thing now with politicians trying to seem relatable to the younger demographic.

Defund the Earth Federation Force. There's no reason they need so many mobile suits. This fear that Zeon will attack us the moment we don't have military weapons is unfounded. Razz

Also the Titans are going to come from inside the Earth Federation Force too, another good reason to defund them. Could of prevented the whole of the plot of Zeta if they defunded the Earth Federation after the first show.
-SP-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:01 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
-SP- wrote:
If someone makes fanart of me next to a Gundam, can I get a post on this site too?

If you're a notable public figure then the answer would probably be "yes." I suspect you are not.

But a lot of celebrities have photoshoped Anime characters into their pictures, but never got posted? There is a lot of Anime style fan art of celebrities that ANN never posted either.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:53 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
ATastySub wrote:
You really got the point of Gundam huh

Selling merchandise to consumers, if we're being honest.
That sounds about right, it least makes more sense than any other explanation.
Barciad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:38 am Reply with quote
Gundam was the first anime I ever watched, and it's fair to say that I've watched a lot of it. From what I saw, it was about as 'anti-war' as any TV series that I've seen. Albeit to varying degrees of effectiveness. Tight, nasty, and remorseless at one end. Embarrassingly mawkish at the other.
For example, 'Iron Blooded Orphans' started brilliantly. But sadly lost its way massively during the third arc. Not sure why 'Thunderbolt' needed a second season, since the first one said all that needed saying. As for 'Origins', a masterclass in how (Parts 1 and 3) and how not to (2 and 4) do structure and pacing.
But, if the series as a whole was saying anything. It is the corrosive effects that conflict has on the human soul. It is not easy to commit and to witness the unthinkable whilst remaining who you are.
All that being said, nothing beats 'The 8th MS Team'.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:06 am Reply with quote
You could apply the charge or hypocrisy to most anime shows in general. Most anime shows and fantasy and sci-fi in general have an anti war message but resolve conflicts through fighting. A story about war would be pretty boring without any conflict in it and it’s fiction.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Barciad wrote:
Gundam was the first anime I ever watched, and it's fair to say that I've watched a lot of it. From what I saw, it was about as 'anti-war' as any TV series that I've seen. Albeit to varying degrees of effectiveness. Tight, nasty, and remorseless at one end. Embarrassingly mawkish at the other.
For example, 'Iron Blooded Orphans' started brilliantly. But sadly lost its way massively during the third arc. Not sure why 'Thunderbolt' needed a second season, since the first one said all that needed saying. As for 'Origins', a masterclass in how (Parts 1 and 3) and how not to (2 and 4) do structure and pacing.
But, if the series as a whole was saying anything. It is the corrosive effects that conflict has on the human soul. It is not easy to commit and to witness the unthinkable whilst remaining who you are.
All that being said, nothing beats 'The 8th MS Team'.

I still liked Origin better than IBO though.
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Wyaku wrote:
which Gundam would you want your politician to have or seems like them the most?

I'd say the Tequila Gundam but i'm pretty sure being drunk with power is a prerequisite for being a politician. So instead i'll give them what they need which is the Ball since they all seem to be lacking them.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:17 am Reply with quote
Barciad wrote:

War is hell is a much more accurate depiction for Gundam than "war is bad". Not that either are amazingly complex statements or anything. You can admit that going to war isn't fun for anyone, but it's an inevitable reality that can't be stopped. Series that show how war affects civilians, soldiers, nations, and the world as a whole. But like Amuro once said, it's a necessary thing in the end that can't be avoided.

"It took both Char and myself seven years to finally understand, and even I still have trouble understanding why I must fight. Fighting is meaningless in itself, but humanity has protected its history through continuous fighting. Without it, mankind would become extinct."

But much like Godzilla, any message the original series and creator may have had in mind originally has pretty much been sidelined in future iterations after they found out how much money those franchises print. Especially in the side spin offs like G Gundam and Build Fighters which pretty much do nothing but show cool robots fighting for sport and sell Gunpla. Saying Gundam is actually against war doesn't really change what the show is at its core or what it profits of of or uses as entertainment. Although I guess the lesson here is if you make military weapons cool enough, even the staunchest pacifist can enjoy them.
TexZero

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:19 am Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:

But much like Godzilla, any message the original series and creator may have had in mind originally has pretty much been sidelined in future iterations after they found out how much money those franchises print. Especially in the side spin offs like G Gundam and Build Fighters which pretty much do nothing but show cool robots fighting for sport and sell Gunpla. Saying Gundam is actually against war doesn't really change what the show is at its core or what it profits of of or uses as entertainment. Although I guess the lesson here is if you make military weapons cool enough, even the staunchest pacifist can enjoy them.

Only 2 of the titles in the gundam franchise really deviate the war is hell message. SD and Build. Even G gundam admits war is hell and that's the entire point of the Tournament they hold on Earth (or more accurately what's remaining of it). If you missed that little footnote of G okay, but to claim it was made solely to sell kits is as much a lie as the point your trying to argue against.

Even saying this however while the 0079 may have been a War is hell story most modern Gundam have moved past this to analyzing many sources of conflict that result in war. War is just a setpiece for the real messages of unity, understanding and acceptance of people or ideals that we may not share.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:16 pm Reply with quote
It's fine to be critical of the double standards of capitalist marketing but it seems hyperbolic to argue Gundam is profiting off of war or military machines when it's a cartoon show with fictional giant robots. Transformers is even more of a blatant toy commercial than Gundam and it also has an anti war message but people don't take the toy marketing side of Transformers as seriously as people criticizing Gundam do.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Forgot how racist US Twitter is. This site having a meltdown over harmless fan art ain´t great either. Tomino HATES the military in quite an outspoken way. Literally the point of The Wings of Rean to name a more modern work. Also recently re-proven here: animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2020-08-19/gundam-tomino-yasuhiko-comments-on-war-themes-in-girls-and-panzer-kancolle/.163050
So does most of Gundam. Good Gundam is for pacifists. The rest can go watch dreck like the SEED shows. The prefect Gundam for politicians:
[url]https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/FA-78_Full_Armor_Gundam_(Thunderbolt_Ver.)[/url]
The All Shields one from Thunderbolt.

I wonder how Hathaway's Flash will be received outside of Japan. The protagonist is a terrorist for one and the basic story applies to our world now more than it did in 1989/90. Tomino was again ahead of the curve. Kinda weird that am somewhat looking forward to them doing books I have no passion for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:28 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It's fine to be critical of the double standards of capitalist marketing but it seems hyperbolic to argue Gundam is profiting off of war or military machines when it's a cartoon show with fictional giant robots. Transformers is even more of a blatant toy commercial than Gundam and it also has an anti war message but people don't take the toy marketing side of Transformers as seriously as people criticizing Gundam do.

This discussion only started because someone pointed out it was a bit weird a politician known for their beliefs on military and gun control would endorse a fan-art of her posing with a military weapon and people coming in to downplay it. Now, it's entirely possible the representative doesn't know what a Gundam is and thinks its just a living robot character like the Transformers are, but aside from that there's not really any way to argue a Gundam isn't a military weapon used for war. It's would be no different than posing with a tank or an assault rifle, where as at least Optimus Prime is a sentient machine who turns into a truck and isn't inherently a weapon designed for war.

residentgrigo wrote:
Tomino HATES the military in quite an outspoken way. Literally the point of The Wings of Rean to name a more modern work. Also recently re-proven here: animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2020-08-19/gundam-tomino-yasuhiko-comments-on-war-themes-in-girls-and-panzer-kancolle/.163050
So does most of Gundam. Good Gundam is for pacifists. The rest can go watch dreck like the SEED shows. The prefect Gundam for politicians: The All Shields one from Thunderbolt.

Please don't try to gatekeep Gundam by saying only the 'good' series count. Gundam SEED is one of the most popular anime series of all time, not just one of the most popular Gundam series. That's a very peculiar show to try to No True Scotsmans the franchise over. Gundam is more than just Tomino and his views. Each series is different and helmed by different people, with only Sunrise as the common thread between them all. If the man hates Girls Und Panzer for the way it portrays the military as fun, then like a lot of the comments in that article's thread points out, that's pretty hypocritical given some of the works the man himself has made. Just like when he criticized series like Evangelion and Attack on Titan for being too depressing and violent while he's made some very depressing and violence series himself like Ideon.
tojikomori

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:01 am Reply with quote
The gulf between Gundam and reality is big enough that I'm finding all this a bit absurd. We're talking about a life-size replica of a vehicle that's only recognizable from toys and cartoons. It has no resemblance to any real-world battle equipment. The Disneyland castle is a more realistic and recognizable portrayal of real-world military technology.

But even if we imagine this were something a little more realistic – a committed gun control advocate posing with a Star Wars blaster or with Gintama's Patriot – what exactly do you imagine you would've caught them out on? Do you imagine that everyone who cosplays with a weapon craves the violence of that character's fictional world? Do you imagine that people who dress up in hockey masks on halloween are actually serial killers at heart?

We're anime fans. It's hardly news to us that what people find entertaining doesn't necessarily match up with how they think the world should work or with how people should behave.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2