• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS Licenses Evangelion TV Series & Death (True)2, End of Evangelion Films for BD, DL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I hope not. How Sunrise/Rightstuf is treating the Ocean dub of SEED is pretty bad by itself but if it was the beginning of a trend, I don't think I'd like where it'd be going, especially given what it could mean for (potential) newer fans that want to experience everything, including both versions of the English dub.

It's not like the old dub could be re-used for the new incarnation of the show. From what I've heard, the producers for Seed redid, redrew, and reanimated a lot of scenes in the old show, along with adding a LOT of new content. Syncing the old dub to it would have been impossible, so it's not like the old dub was being shafted for the sake of it. It would not have fit with the new additions that the re-broadcast and later DVD versions put in.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Part of me wonders if Khara settled on GKIDS because they think there's a chance the next movie could win an Oscar. Laughing
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:35 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
It's not like the old dub could be re-used for the new incarnation of the show. From what I've heard, the producers for Seed redid, redrew, and reanimated a lot of scenes in the old show, along with adding a LOT of new content. Syncing the old dub to it would have been impossible, so it's not like the old dub was being shafted for the sake of it. It would not have fit with the new additions that the re-broadcast and later DVD versions put in.

ADV did in fact dub new content for the Director's Cut episodes for the Platinum DVD releases back in the day, so it's not quite the same.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:43 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

I mean, just give me an SD-BD version of the original run outside of having to buy an LE that has such an excess of stuff that I really don't care for. It's the same reason I didn't pick up the 00, Wing or G sets and just went with the standard releases.spoiler[ Plus the HD Remaster's washing of any guilt Kira had re Nicol's death too but that's another ball game entirely. ] But Sunrise probably wants the original incarnation of Seed to be replaced by the Remaster so Rolling Eyes

Last edited by GNPixie on Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Makes sense. Anime Limited announced an Ultimate Edition a while back so they're probably sharing discs and production costs with Gkids.

I'll consider it if the old dub is included. It would take very little effort in exchange for a greater return. Why not please both crowds? We'll see if Khara's desire for money outweighs their stubbornness.
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:56 pm Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:
I'll consider it if the old dub is included. It would take very little effort in exchange for a greater return. Why not please both crowds? We'll see if Khara's desire for money outweighs their stubbornness.

It could well be a low-technical-effort but considerable-legal-effort type of situation. Maybe someone who knows what the current rights situation with the ADV dub is can chime in.
Nate148

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I am 100% sure the old dub will not be on the disks other then on the ultimate ed and remember the movies have a manga dub and the show had the head of ADV in it so yea likely went to gkids because they are willing to do anything japan wants and are not Sony or ADV
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Can see this just being the Netflix dub and not the ADV one. At this stage getting anything with the original dub is probably a pipe dream.

As for the Rebuild movies, it would depend on how they are licensed but I get the feeling that the next one will go to Funimation because the license would be for all films not film by film, and it would be massively jarring doing a recast for 1 out of 4 films.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Considering that GKIDS already confirmed an "Ultimate Edition" is in the works, I'm just going to put my bet down right now:

The ADV dub will only be available via the Ultimate Edition.

I hope I'm wrong about this, but I just fully expect Khara to pull what Sunrise did with Gundam Seed & restrict the availability of the original dub to a limited edition physical release. Theatrical showings, digital distribution, & even the standard edition boxset release will only be for the Netflix dub, I'm sure of it.

Again, though, I want to be proven wrong with this. I have no real interest in Evangelion, but I fully acknowledge its influence & importance. I just think Khara will prioritize its new dub, while knowing that it can't simply ignore the ADV dub, so they'll just make it much less available to get a hold of now.

I hope you're wrong too but I do hope it has more discs. Why, because when Japan released the Blu-ray Box, they also released a DVD Box with the TV broadcast version on them so similar to how Bandai handled the Haruhi Suzumiya LE volumes back in the day, I'm hoping Anime Limited does the same here (if the Ultimate Edition here is the exact same as the UK release like with Promare).

Primus wrote:
Part of me wonders if Khara settled on GKIDS because they think there's a chance the next movie could win an Oscar. Laughing

RIP FUNi dub if that's the case, especially with some of the previous movies already going OOP.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Shocked Well this came out of nowhere. Sounds like Gkids has some really deep pockets. I already own the complete season and movies on DVD, but I'll gladly buy the Blu-Ray if they do a good job on the release.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:22 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

ADV already remixed their own dub to the revised animation. There’s a whole featurette about it on the Platinum DVDs, which was sourced from that remaster.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:26 pm Reply with quote
If GKIDS and the Japanese powers that be are smart, they will try to get the old ADV dub as a bonus option.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm not an NGE fanboy but I'm glad crapamation didn't get their slimy paws on it. I'm sure they would have totally f**ked it up.
curtisd88

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:45 pm Reply with quote
You mean I can FINALLY sell my DVD set of Evangelion!? HELL YES! PLEASE give us the ORIGINAL dub with it. I don't care if the Netflix one gets included or not. I just want the original dub. Day 1 buy EASILY!
tojikomori

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Wow, what great news. Back in print after a decade, and with a company that’s practically the Criterion Collection of animation.

Best of luck to you fans of the ADV dub, but for me it’s enough that the show is available at all. When it arrived on Netflix, I figured we’d never see a US Blu-ray release. The Violet Evergarden announcement gave me hope, but I didn’t think it’d be realized so soon.

Personally, I’ll be keeping the Platinum set on my shelf anyway, though. Even if GKIDS brings out a release with the old dub and box art that equals the JP Blu-rays, I’ve prized the Platinum set too long to think of it as anything other than treasure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6