• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Stream Log Horizon Anime's 3rd Season

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seagloom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:44 am Reply with quote
Glad I re-watched the previous seasons over summer in preparation. The first season was quietly removed from Crunchyroll and HiDive recently. Guess their license ran out.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:49 am Reply with quote
Seagloom wrote:
Glad I re-watched the previous seasons over summer in preparation. The first season was quietly removed from Crunchyroll and HiDive recently. Guess their license ran out.

So does that mean Funi might re-release that and Season 2?
Seagloom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:03 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
So does that mean Funi might re-release that and Season 2?

No idea. I was speculating about the license. It's surprising Sentai would let it go if that is the case.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:04 am Reply with quote
Seagloom wrote:

That's interesting, and may help explain why this isn't being announced as a Hidive license. I suppose that could change, but I wouldn't count on it.

Honestly, this isn't encouraging news where Sentai and Section 23 are concerned. Not getting a sequel season to something that seemed to have done well for them doesn't bode well. They were already having to make do with what Funimation and Crunchyroll didn't license, but I would have thought that made it more likely that they'd save up to be able to get this.
andramus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:25 am Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to this. I've just finished watching my season 1 & 2 Blu-Rays of Log Horizon over the last few days as well as reading the ANN reviews after every few episodes.

I really like the world-building and the accompanying mystery of the exact nature of the "Apocalypse" and the world that the Adventurers have found themselves in. In addition I think there's a large and likeable cast of characters outside of the main trio who occassionally get their own stories and character development. Nick seemed to feel like the episodes focused on the children were less enjoyable but I felt like occasionally shifting the focus to other characters and their own struggles in this new world gave the story a bit more depth or perhaps breadth?

I didn't notice the first time I watched this series but the action animation is virtually non-existent. The thing is I was so engrossed in the story that I didn't care. Sword Art Online - which I actually like - has far better animation particularly when it comes to action but a much less engaging story and characters. At least for me.

If there was one downside for me it was the lack of exploration of the complexity of character's avatars not reflecting their original selves particularly when it came to their ages. I was fine with that being streamlined for the most part but having a character here or there that seemed like an adult or child but was actually the opposite could have been interesting to explore the complexities of. Say a level 90 Adventurer with the body of an adult male who was the leader of a guild was a 12 year old boy in the real world, how would that play out? Or an adult who was a newbie with a weak avatar. Just because they're not a child doesn't mean they weren't vulnerable to exploitation by guilds like Hamelin.
OddJobsKatsura

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:28 am Reply with quote
Seagloom wrote:

HiDive still has the first season. I wonder if Funimation will dub it with the original cast though. Also, what is going on with Funimation licensing everything? Where are they getting this money from when they're (I assume) the second largest brand in anime? Crunchyroll and Sentai need to step it up. Sentai might be in trouble since their owners recently announced more funding into the business.
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:31 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Honestly, this isn't encouraging news where Sentai and Section 23 are concerned. Not getting a sequel season to something that seemed to have done well for them doesn't bode well. They were already having to make do with what Funimation and Crunchyroll didn't license, but I would have thought that made it more likely that they'd save up to be able to get this.

If that's the case, then I hope Funi makes an effort to get at least some of the cast back for their inevitable simuldub of this. At least Sentai's talent is in the same state.
Seagloom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:32 am Reply with quote
OddJobsKatsura wrote:
HiDive still has the first season.

Link? I can't seem to find it. Only getting season two in search results.

Edit: Found it. I stand corrected.

Edit 2: It has been taken down from HiDive after all. At least in the US. I tried to play the first episode out of curiosity since I couldn't add season one to my favorites; and was hit with a "Your region is not supported at this time" message.

Last edited by Seagloom on Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:04 pm; edited 6 times in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:32 am Reply with quote
I understand that Funimation is well within their right to license any show they want to, but to do so with a title that was done by a still existing publisher, who more than likely would have licensed it, seems underhanded. I wonder what they will do with the dub, I highly doubt they would farm it out to Sentai, but I can see them keeping most of the cast, unlike with Orphan. I want to know what table scraps are left for Sentai, as a fair few shows are sequels for other publishers.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:47 am Reply with quote
And in winter season, Funimation took all of winter animes while Crunchyroll took even less. Coming soon.
OddJobsKatsura wrote:
Seagloom wrote:

HiDive still has the first season. I wonder if Funimation will dub it with the original cast though. Also, what is going on with Funimation licensing everything? Where are they getting this money from when they're (I assume) the second largest brand in anime? Crunchyroll and Sentai need to step it up. Sentai might be in trouble since their owners recently announced more funding into the business.

These days Funimation is becoming more powerful due to Sony(it's a monopoly) while Crunchyroll (and Sentai) is becoming weaker due to Funi and Sony.
matt78

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:57 am Reply with quote
OddJobsKatsura wrote:
Seagloom wrote:

Sony is pumping a lot of money into Funimation right know since they are working to make FunimationNow/AnimeLab/Wakanim a worldwide competitor to Crunchyroll. I wonder if they won't eventually unite all 3 under a singular name. Animax would be a fitting name if they ever went that route.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:04 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I understand that Funimation is well within their right to license any show they want to, but to do so with a title that was done by a still existing publisher, who more than likely would have licensed it, seems underhanded.

How? Its just business. Sentai apparently dropped the ball and Funi picked it up. Nothing malicious behind it.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Sentai's either going to get bought out or go under at the rate their licenses are going... they seem to ONLY get sequels nowadays, and from the looks of things they can't even maintain that.

The US anime industry is looking more and more like a duopoly with the occasional Viz/Netflix pickup for spice. Can't say I'm super happy about that.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I thought this might have been among the 77 Sentai shows that were dropped from Crunchyroll's catalog in July, but it's not. It's a separate removal.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-07-31/crunchyroll-removes-77-sentai-filmworks-titles/.162420

More strangely, only season one of Log Horizon was removed. The second season can still be streamed at Crunchyroll: https://www.crunchyroll.com/log-horizon/episode-1-shiroe-of-the-northern-lands-661779
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:09 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I thought this might have been among the 77 Sentai shows that were dropped from Crunchyroll's catalog in July, but it's not. It's a separate removal.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-07-31/crunchyroll-removes-77-sentai-filmworks-titles/.162420

More strangely, only season one of Log Horizon was removed. The second season can still be streamed at Crunchyroll: https://www.crunchyroll.com/log-horizon/episode-1-shiroe-of-the-northern-lands-661779

The first season is still HiDive I believe
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2